Alfa Romeo C39 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
saviour stivala

Re: Alfa Romeo C39 Speculation Thread

Big Tea wrote:
24 Dec 2019, 00:32
saviour stivala wrote:
23 Dec 2019, 22:40
aral wrote:
21 Dec 2019, 14:50
Really, it is no big deal. Expensive yes, but every year, there are a number of crash test failures with all the teams
I couldn't understand the fuss about this crash-test fail. its not like its happened for the first time.
The important thing is 'how' it failed, which we are not being told. If it is simply outside the limit of deflection, not a problem, but if it involves 'curves not meeting the calculated strength' or similar, or shattering of some sort it could be very time expensive.
The two ends are probably a month apart in damage.
Have you or anybody following F1 ever been told how and why (details) a crash test had failed?.

Big Tea

saviour stivala wrote:
24 Dec 2019, 06:59
Big Tea wrote:
24 Dec 2019, 00:32
saviour stivala wrote:
23 Dec 2019, 22:40

I couldn't understand the fuss about this crash-test fail. its not like its happened for the first time.
The important thing is 'how' it failed, which we are not being told. If it is simply outside the limit of deflection, not a problem, but if it involves 'curves not meeting the calculated strength' or similar, or shattering of some sort it could be very time expensive.
The two ends are probably a month apart in damage.
Have you or anybody following F1 ever been told how and why (details) a crash test had failed?.
No, but it does not change the statement (Does it?)
Its always speculation
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

aral

But rather pointless speculation ! why create suspicion etc when you have no actual information?

Big Tea

aral wrote:
24 Dec 2019, 15:36
But rather pointless speculation ! why create suspicion etc when you have no actual information?
How is that creating suspicion?
I just remarked that the manner of the fail can mean little or a serious problem. I have not suggested that it is either.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

FrukostScones

I d say they failed with Merc style nose as Ferrari Guineapig.

Lets see how many layers they need to add. Front heavy ughhh?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

cramr

FrukostScones wrote:
29 Dec 2019, 21:51
I d say they failed with Merc style nose as Ferrari Guineapig.
That makes no sense. Ferrari has more than enough resources to "guineapig" themself and not push a smaller more limited team to do it.
Also, it says that the chassis test failed, not the nose crash test

ESPImperium

Been out of F1 over Christmas, wanted a few weeks without F1 this winter.

As i see it, the chassis and nose passed all the tests, but one, the one that was added at the start of 2018 i think. That one is the chassis and nose being propelled to a surface that is at a 45 degree angle to the chassis and its pad it is on for testing. It has completely destroyed the chassis from the bulkhead to the cockpit entry. This will really hamper the team as chassis number 1 is gone, a €875,000 cost for the chassis and the nose at maybe €55,000 as a guess, this will be costly financially to the team as well as well as in lost development.

The guys there would need to be putting in work over the festive season when other teams may have a bit more time off. All this overtime will cost the team financially as well. The last chassis to fail pre season was the Lotus E21, it was an easy fix, an extra couple of layers of carbon fibre and it passed, with a weight penalty of 550 grammes from what i heard, an extra 550 grammes that somehow aided the E21s weight distribution and centre of gravity as well as it was a lower portion of the chassis.

If this is bad, id suggest the Alfa Romeo guys may have to start with last years cars. Sauber did do this before in 2015 in pre season testing as a stop gap.

It's bad, but not as bad as what it could be, you could pass all the tests and turn up with a power unit that's just utter garbage, like McLaren in 2015 and worse in 2017, or you could have a car not even turn up whatsoever for the first couple days of testing, like Williams last year. Ill even say it could be HRT bad, but ill not go there.

FrukostScones

ESPImperium wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 22:01

As i see it, the chassis and nose passed all the tests, but one, the one that was added at the start of 2018 i think. That one is the chassis and nose being propelled to a surface that is at a 45 degree angle to the chassis and its pad it is on for testing. It has completely destroyed the chassis from the bulkhead to the cockpit entry. This will really hamper the team as chassis number 1 is gone, a €875,000 cost for the chassis and the nose at maybe €55,000 as a guess, this will be costly financially to the team as well as well as in lost development.

The guys there would need to be putting in work over the festive season when other teams may have a bit more time off. All this overtime will cost the team financially as well. The last chassis to fail pre season was the Lotus E21, it was an easy fix, an extra couple of layers of carbon fibre and it passed, with a weight penalty of 550 grammes from what i heard, an extra 550 grammes that somehow aided the E21s weight distribution and centre of gravity as well as it was a lower portion of the chassis.

If this is bad, id suggest the Alfa Romeo guys may have to start with last years cars. Sauber did do this before in 2015 in pre season testing as a stop gap.

It's bad, but not as bad as what it could be, you could pass all the tests and turn up with a power unit that's just utter garbage, like McLaren in 2015 and worse in 2017, or you could have a car not even turn up whatsoever for the first couple days of testing, like Williams last year. Ill even say it could be HRT bad, but ill not go there.
which test from 2020 regulations you refer to? which paragraph?

ESPImperium

FrukostScones wrote:
09 Jan 2020, 19:52
ESPImperium wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 22:01

which test from 2020 regulations you refer to? which paragraph?
The test they failed was the test where the chassis with nosecone attached, is fired at a static object that is lying at a 45 degree angle to the car. Not the one where the car is fired at a static object that is lying at a flat angle to the car. They past that one, just not the 45 degree angle one.

ScrewCaptain27

Crash test passed with “minimal modifications” according to Motorsport.com
Link (Italian) :https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/alfa- ... k/4658086/
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

FrukostScones

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
18 Jan 2020, 13:56
Crash test passed with “minimal modifications” according to Motorsport.com
Link (Italian) :https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/alfa- ... k/4658086/
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... 4658086%2F

So the extreme nose concept was the cause,

according to the article.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Holm86

All the workers clothes still says Sauber??

jjn9128

Holm86 wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 13:55
The company is still called Sauber as homage to Peter Sauber, the race team is Alfa Romeo... it's one of those quirks of F1 the company and team are often separate to protect bosses from repercussions.
It is not strictly an out-and-out factory operation, as Sauber's ownership and management remain unchanged and independent of Alfa.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14127 ... meo-racing
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Holm86

jjn9128 wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 14:00
Holm86 wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 13:55
The company is still called Sauber as homage to Peter Sauber, the race team is Alfa Romeo... it's one of those quirks of F1 the company and team are often separate to protect bosses from repercussions.
It is not strictly an out-and-out factory operation, as Sauber's ownership and management remain unchanged and independent of Alfa.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14127 ... meo-racing
Ahh okay, thank you :-)