Scuderia Ferrari SF91?? Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
jumpingfish

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF91?? Speculation Thread

MtthsMlw

This is like the third year in a row Gazzetta says they'll adopt the Merc nose.

OO7
OO7

Looks like poor airflow under the nose with the low monocoque design. The sidepods appear to have shrunk by 50% :lol:

wesley123

MtthsMlw wrote:
22 Dec 2019, 11:10
This is like the third year in a row Gazzetta says they'll adopt the Merc nose.
They have to be right at some point, right? Right?!
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Mamba

If only I got a dime every time the story started buzzing that Ferrari will switch to a Merc nose the following season!

f1316

I thought the same - albeit this year it makes more sense this year if they’re looking to take cues from Mercedes in their search for increased front downforce (e.g.adopt a full cape solution).

Jolle

Isn’t it time for Ferrari to reintroduce a technical innovation that failed? Pullrod front suspension or a double floor design? 😂

Just like most other teams I suspect an updated ‘19 design. A B-spec+. No radical design changes like a new nose. Mercedes needs the slim nose because of their aero concept with the high wishbones, Ferrari on the other hand wants air under the nose and over the sidepods.

aleks_ader

Jolle wrote:
26 Dec 2019, 01:47
Just like most other teams I suspect an updated ‘19 design. A B-spec+. No radical design changes like a new nose. Mercedes needs the slim nose because of their aero concept with the high wishbones, Ferrari on the other hand wants air under the nose and over the sidepods.
Agree. But first i would argue both designs are doing same thing, but differently. I think Merc design with cape encourage the overspill flow under monocock. That was even more apparent when they intruduce in 2018 this very paralel narrow the nose all the toward "bulkhead".

I think the Merc engineers want cleaner air under the nose. I assume, that the thumb nose with inner channels aka Racing Point, Mclaren, Sauber and from Singapur on also Ferrari, its messy and pretty "draggy" or at least hard to predict in my opinion.

It is the way to unlock performance? Maybe? But in 1 year? Lets get all CONS:

1. they need to rework the crash test. Ok Merc needed couple of mounths to made short nose pass crash test. Time consuming sure. Doable sure. Worth it before 2021, again different nose regs and dual research programs…

2. Aero is totally different. Now you deal with nose with over&sidespill flow. Totally different mechanisms to burn the valuable CFD/windtunnel regs witch could be used in 2021 programme. Remember this is HUGE deal for 2021 onwards. This is still uder FIA regulation.

3. Aero is ruined; bargeboards, undernose batwing, conditioners, floor, rake….. All evolutionary research from 2017-2018-2019 goes pretty much into the bin.

I think maybe they could throw caution to the wind and sacrifice 2021 season. But boomerang effect could hurt them even more in long run, Like 2014 until 2017 when they use resources in bad way. Ditching the aero principles and play catch-up til this day.

Last CON. Ferrari aero is not the strongest and HUGE changes would not play nice odds. It is better to methodically understand the issues and maybe look more into RB, Mclaren way for solutions (if you lack ideas for direction). Mercedes is class on its own. They had no 1 aero team. And to beat Merc head to head at the moment is illusion, only a fool goes looking for a rainstorm in the sunshine. :D
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

izzy

aleks_ader wrote:
27 Dec 2019, 14:30
I think maybe they could throw caution to the wind and sacrifice 2021 season. But boomerang effect could hurt them even more in long run, Like 2014 until 2017 when they use resources in bad way. Ditching the aero principles and play catch-up til this day.
surely what they'll be doing is using Haas and Alfa windtunnel/CFD time on the 2021 car, doing the 2020 car themselves and passing it on ready to rock n roll, like f1.com said they do the concept for Haas already. i'm betting the 2020 Ferrari will be a great car without sacrificing 2021 at all

and i bet RBR/Alpha Tauri and Mercedes/Williams/Racing Point are doing a similar thing to one extent or another. RP are using the Merc wind tunnel now even

PlatinumZealot

Rumours are of a very special suspension setup....
This is the same source that tipped me on the pinched front wing...
Sorta of a mix of what Mclaren was trying to do recently..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

LM10

PlatinumZealot wrote:
30 Dec 2019, 02:55
Is it an insider source or can you send some link by chance?

f1316

PlatinumZealot wrote:
30 Dec 2019, 02:55
I haven’t really been keeping up with the Mclaren car - what have they been trying?

MtthsMlw

Experimenting with pushrod on upright offsets I think, to lower the ride height in corners.
Teams have been doing that for years now, some more than others - see the W10 for example.
A TD issued before 2018 clamped down on how much the ride height can change at a given steering angle but there still seems to be room to exploit that.

Snorked

Turrini says first wind tunnel and simulation numbers aren't good - https://www.quotidiano.net/blog/turrini ... 020-5.6105

dans79

Snorked wrote:
31 Dec 2019, 23:45
Turrini says first wind tunnel and simulation numbers aren't good - https://www.quotidiano.net/blog/turrini ... 020-5.6105
Can someone translate this to English?

Any time I let chrome/google translate Italian to English, the result reads like it was written by a drunk Yoda.
Last edited by dans79 on 01 Jan 2020, 00:00, edited 1 time in total.
197 104 103 7