Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
gruntguru
gruntguru

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

carisi2k wrote:
28 Dec 2019, 04:28
gruntguru wrote:
17 Dec 2019, 05:58
Skip-fire can be a very progressive torque control. There are a large number of combinations of fired and skipped cycles which can achieve any torque value from 0 - 100% while also ensuring all cylinders are carrying an equal share of the load. Some very simple examples would be:
- Fire 6, Skip 1. Reduces torque to 86%
- Fire 4, Skip 1. Reduces torque to 80%
- Fire 3, Skip 1, Fire 2 Skip 1. Reduces torque to 71%
- Fire 2, Skip 1, Fire 1 Skip 1. Reduces torque to 60%
- Fire 1, Skip 2, Fire 1 Skip 1. Reduces torque to 40%
- Fire 1, Skip 3, Fire 1 Skip 2. Reduces torque to 28%
- Fire 1, Skip 4, Reduces torque to 20%
- Fire 1, Skip 6, Reduces torque to 14%
Would this be seen as a form of traction control and therefore illegal?
No. It is just a method of controlling the engine torque output. As long as torque maintains a direct relationship to the drivers accelerator pedal it is not traction control.
je suis charlie

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

skip fire to control torque output is 100% complate with a pedigree certificate both launch and traction control.

etusch

It is out of topic but is anyone know a book or website for engine or gearbox control software sample?

Big Tea

etusch wrote:
28 Dec 2019, 13:17
It is out of topic but is anyone know a book or website for engine or gearbox control software sample?
Do you think perhaps we need a section for things which are not really in any topic but someone wants to ask?
I have them all the time. It would be no use me starting it as it would need support of the people who would answer these questions.

If it does not really fit in with the ethos of a 'serious' technical site I would not want it to offend.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

subcritical71

etusch wrote:
F1 or cars in general?

etusch

subcritical71 wrote:
28 Dec 2019, 15:08
etusch wrote:
F1 or cars in general?
General. I think to find f1 one as impossible and I also nothing to do with it.

Bill
Bill

Andy cowell talks about Honda development rate which I think have been the fastest in the last 4 years even though sometimes they go backwards like in 2017

https://f1i.com/news/365152-cowell-hond ... rrari.html

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Of course Honda are the fastest developer recently. That's not a surprise, nor is it a compliment - they started further behind so needed big strides to catch up. If they hadn't been so fast in developing, they'd still be far behind.

There are also some mind games at play here too, no doubt.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Bill
Bill

It's hardly mind games Mercedes has been a bit luck luster in last two years. These season they hardly found a performance gains during the season, compared to Ferrari who have been impressive.they had resorted to dirty tricks like winging about Ferrari pu . For last two years Ferrari has fia up their neck with sensors and inspection partly because merc complaints.Renault wasn't finding much performance until they hired some guys from Ferrari and porche so in a nutshell Honda have been a steamroller next year they will unquestionably have the best pu devoid of any suspicion.

GhostF1
GhostF1

Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Dec 2019, 10:09
Of course Honda are the fastest developer recently. That's not a surprise, nor is it a compliment - they started further behind so needed big strides to catch up. If they hadn't been so fast in developing, they'd still be far behind.

There are also some mind games at play here too, no doubt.
I think it's a great compliment. They started later and yet are now mixing with the big boys. The conversation for 2020 is brewing as Mercedes v Honda v Ferrari. Not just Merc and Ferrari. They've made greater strides than the others to be where they are now and labelled as pretty much a front running manufacturer and it's great to see. Absolutely true underdog story and what makes it more satisfying is how humble and appreciative they are.. they are highly respectful, thankful to be there and dedicated people who are consistently always complimentary of their rivals... The same of which cannot be said for one (or two) of the others

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Bill wrote:
29 Dec 2019, 10:44
It's hardly mind games Mercedes has been a bit luck luster in last two years. These season they hardly found a performance gains during the season, compared to Ferrari who have been impressive.they had resorted to dirty tricks like winging about Ferrari pu . For last two years Ferrari has fia up their neck with sensors and inspection partly because merc complaints.Renault wasn't finding much performance until they hired some guys from Ferrari and porche so in a nutshell Honda have been a steamroller next year they will unquestionably have the best pu devoid of any suspicion.
RedBull have been moaning about Ferrari to the FIA.
Ferrari's performance dropped when the FIA got involved.
Big statement that Honda will have best PU next year. Maybe they will but it's not a definite.
At some point RedBull will pull their usual stuff and forget Honda's role in their success. Ask Renault how that felt back in the title-winning days.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

GhostF1 wrote:
30 Dec 2019, 00:37
They've made greater strides than the others to be where they are now and labelled as pretty much a front running manufacturer and it's great to see.
Of course they made great strides - they started from a very low place. Remember "GP2 power, GP2 power"?
That's the point - they have caught up with Ferrari and Mercedes because those two have been in the realm of diminishing returns for a while now.

If a company like Honda hadn't caught up, I'd have been surprised. Now that they have, we have the chance of more closer racing - that's a good thing and we can thank Honda for that.

PlatinumZealot

etusch wrote:
Megasquirt ECU is "open soruce" but not really. You can get the Megasquirt code online I think. The software is free. Tho you need to connect the ecu (or stimulator) to your pc to play around it it. I am not a programmer or control systems expert but a lot the control methods are things that would be normal methods of control. Some ECUs have faster processing or different layers of control. But surprisingly it not as scientific as I thought it would be. Alot of approxmations that It is almost an art.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

etusch

PlatinumZealot wrote:
30 Dec 2019, 01:51
etusch wrote:
Megasquirt ECU is "open soruce" but not really. You can get the Megasquirt code online I think. The software is free. Tho you need to connect the ecu (or stimulator) to your pc to play around it it. I am not a programmer or control systems expert but a lot the control methods are things that would be normal methods of control. Some ECUs have faster processing or different layers of control. But surprisingly it not as scientific as I thought it would be. Alot of approxmations that It is almost an art.
Thank you I will search for it. And I found something for gearbox control. I could not see codes because of need of matlab. I will install then

https://www.mathworks.com/help/simulink ... 66e7cc767c

GhostF1
GhostF1

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Dec 2019, 01:49
GhostF1 wrote:
30 Dec 2019, 00:37
They've made greater strides than the others to be where they are now and labelled as pretty much a front running manufacturer and it's great to see.
Of course they made great strides - they started from a very low place. Remember "GP2 power, GP2 power"?
That's the point - they have caught up with Ferrari and Mercedes because those two have been in the realm of diminishing returns for a while now.

If a company like Honda hadn't caught up, I'd have been surprised. Now that they have, we have the chance of more closer racing - that's a good thing and we can thank Honda for that.
You don't think that's a generalised and slightly unfair assessment? Ferrari are ahead of Merc and Honda have matched Mercedes this year, if this dev. rate continues next year, they could overtake Mercedes to be the ones to catch Ferrari, yes they started lower, but the point is they are on a trajectory to hit highs faster than Mercedes now and Renault!? They started earlier, lobbied for this engine format and are languishing down the bottom with decent, but lets be realistic, last place power and DEFINITELY last place reliability.
Agree it would of been surprising if they didn't catch up for a company their size, and I believe it was expected to happen sooner or later, but regardless. They've been a huge story since 2015 that we have all followed for 1097 pages!!! (next best is 314!) and I'm so very glad they are now where they are.