Scuderia Ferrari SF91?? Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
FrukostScones

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF91?? Speculation Thread

oh man.
I would get the the chills with Frecce Tricolori in the skies above Monza...
but also here...?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

LM10

This guy who wrote that article seems to be a pretty pessimistic person or some kind of a hater. Am I right?

jumpingfish

LM10 wrote:
01 Jan 2020, 01:40
This guy who wrote that article seems to be a pretty pessimistic person or some kind of a hater. Am I right?
I heard Leo Turrini is good insider from Italy, but even if he is pessimistic, those words about simulator and wind tunnel aren't good for me :cry:
Last edited by jumpingfish on 01 Jan 2020, 09:59, edited 1 time in total.

zibby43

LM10 wrote:
01 Jan 2020, 01:40
No. He is most definitely not a hater. He's an Italian blogger and award-winning journalist who is famously very close to proceedings at Ferrari. He has access and connections at the team that many other journalists don't.

He's reasonable, fair-minded, respectable, and one of the few Italian F1 sources that I pay attention to.

He publishes blog posts about the team and exclusive interviews with team members virtually every day. It's pretty easy to go back through his posts from the past year and verify his scoops. Just need to be proficient in Italian or have access to someone who is.

MtthsMlw

Last year he reported the data was good, we saw how much that was worth though..
While I respect his work and think he's reliable one shouldn't take this too serious.
Don't want any fans to worry :wink:

Just_a_fan

Isn't this part of Ferrari's problem. They are put under the sort of scrutiny no other team gets, by fans desperate for wins and journos desperate for a story. It's no wonder that they so often falter at critical moments - they must spend half of their time looking over their shoulders.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

LM10

MtthsMlw wrote:
01 Jan 2020, 11:32
Last year he reported the data was good, we saw how much that was worth though..
While I respect his work and think he's reliable one shouldn't take this too serious.
Last night I didn't notice who the writer of that article was because I didn't pay attention. Today I looked up and I can remember him.
I as well remember the news last year when it was told that Ferrari's numbers were good and promising and Ferrari were cautiously optimistic. Turned out to be their biggest concept fail since 2017.

3jawchuck

Just_a_fan wrote:
01 Jan 2020, 12:33
Isn't this part of Ferrari's problem. They are put under the sort of scrutiny no other team gets, by fans desperate for wins and journos desperate for a story. It's no wonder that they so often falter at critical moments - they must spend half of their time looking over their shoulders.
If Ferrari's management was any good at their jobs this wouldn't be an issue.

izzy

3jawchuck wrote:
01 Jan 2020, 13:50
Just_a_fan wrote:
01 Jan 2020, 12:33
If Ferrari's management was any good at their jobs this wouldn't be an issue.
Perhaps they are better now? Mattia/John Elkann/Louis Camilleri seem like the least egocentric leadership at Ferrari since forever. It might just be taking a season for them to bed in and the effects to show through

zibby43

LM10 wrote:
01 Jan 2020, 12:44
MtthsMlw wrote:
01 Jan 2020, 11:32
Last night I didn't notice who the writer of that article was because I didn't pay attention. Today I looked up and I can remember him.
I as well remember the news last year when it was told that Ferrari's numbers were good and promising and Ferrari were cautiously optimistic. Turned out to be their biggest concept fail since 2017.
New FW regulations last year (among other regulation changes). Perhaps Ferrari thought the numbers were good, in a vacuum?

The whole world, including many on this forum, thought Ferrari were ahead of Mercedes by 5 tenths of a second after Barcelona testing. Ferrari thought they were 0.5s ahead after testing. Turns out they weren't quite good enough.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ferrari-though ... 16066.html

If anything, Leo saying they thought the numbers were good last year at least proves his report was right. It's Ferrari that turned out to be wrong.

Quite simply, Ferrari saying the numbers were good preseason and Leo reporting on that is one thing. The fact that Ferrari didn't end up being as competitive as they initially thought is an entirely separate matter.

With stable regulations this year, they know where Mercedes was at the end of the year in terms of downforce points, and where they (Ferrari) need to be to be competitive.

MtthsMlw

One thing is sure though. No matter how good Ferrari performes in testing...do not draw any conclusions from it :mrgreen:

Polite

Hi all,

about Turrini: he writes about CFD and WindTunnel not for the bad 2019.. but because he always told that sending Resta to Alfa/Sauber was a mistake in the 2018.. and the last Ferrari made by Resta was the 2017 one (the best for downforce in the last 10 years for Ferrari..).

so his post is not pessimistic about the actual project: he hopes that Resta will be heard as it happened in 2017

bb and happy new year

Polite

dans79 wrote:
01 Jan 2020, 00:00
Snorked wrote:
31 Dec 2019, 23:45
Turrini says first wind tunnel and simulation numbers aren't good - https://www.quotidiano.net/blog/turrini ... 020-5.6105
Can someone translate this to English?

Any time I let chrome/google translate Italian to English, the result reads like it was written by a drunk Yoda.
here we go

"Happy ending year and better new year

So, because this is a place dedicated to marked Ferrari drives, those are the men on which 2020 branded joys and disappointments will depend.

CAMILLERI: I have already said that the CAMILLERI CEO does not even mind me. I still have to understand if he has understood where he is, but it is worth trying.
BINOTTO: claws are dripping with good nature (it's a joke, he means it looks benevolent but has claws), he knows what he wants and loves the cause, it would be better for him to better value the most competent collaborators, only that he is sometimes afraid of his shadow and this is not good.
ROSATO: intended as GINONE, Ferrari’s Highlander, the last immortal like Ciro from GOMORRA, survived any purge. Untouchable Foreign Minister of the Red and fortunately, I add.
CARDILE SANCHEZ RESTA: The trio holding the 2020 single-seater project in their hands. Since Fraboni and Zimmermann's power unit is not a problem, it all depends on them. I think it would not be bad to listen to RESTA a little more, all the more after the last unexciting results in the simulator and in the wind tunnel (about 2018 and 2019 without RESTA i think..). But I, notoriously, always think badly.
TOGNINALLI: It is not a typo, I am not quoting the ex minister Toninelli, master of gaffes. None knows Engineer Matteo TOGNINALLI but he is Binotto's true right hand. Decisive, for better or for worse.
MEKIES: Sports director, more or less. He is very good at it, but in quoting Chandok in the pro Vettel appeal for Canada he caught the classic banana peel. It would not be bad to involve him more on strategies.
RUEDA: the man of the in race "calls". Perennially poised between the genius license and the cracker label. A middle ground might be fine.
SILVIA: Ferrari’s PR, heir of Colajanni, Bisignani, Antonini. Sometimes badly adviced, however better than some predecessors. He deserves to write the message of the final and world victory. Maybe in 2021, maybe.
VETTEL: Pissed off for many reasons, like "I play because I wear the ball". It will entertain us and fasten your seat belts, Sebastian (stop) is alive and fight together with all the trolls. (trolls? Maybe Vettel is a Turrini’s Blog user? :O )
LECLERC: By now Carletto has only Hamilton in mind and it is to be understood, both in 2020 and in perspective 2021. Someone could kindly lend him the mobile number of John Elkann, to suggest that he avoid etc. (Lec doesnt want Hamilton in the team :P )
"

dans79

Polite wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 15:13
here we go
Thank you.
197 104 103 7

ME4ME

Polite wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 15:13

MEKIES: Sports director, more or less. He is very good at it, but in quoting Chandok in the pro Vettel appeal for Canada he caught the classic banana peel. It would not be bad to involve him more on strategies.
:lol: