General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Hino

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Wouter wrote:
31 Dec 2019, 12:24
Hino wrote:
30 Dec 2019, 06:57
A 2 min preview of a NHK special program about Honda F1 project in 2019.

https://streamable.com/2tf8p
https://twitter.com/HondaRacingF1/statu ... 6836550657
Google translate.

Are you ready for the new year, everyone in Japan?
A documentary of Honda F1 2019 will be broadcast on NHK BS1 from 20:00 on the first day of tomorrow.
There are many scenes that capture the back side of the victory, so please take a look!
Let's all have a good year. 😀

[January 1 night] Honda won the dramatic resurrection championship in F1. Despite the slump
since returning in 2015, he won the Austrian GP in June for the first time in 13 years.
Looking back on the races of the 19 season, the first public video recording behind the scenes!
Introduce Japanese companies pursuing new technologies with one team. [BS1]
@Wouter Unfortunately I could not find a NHK BS1 online stream to capture the program. Hopefully I will be able to find it later on.

@Wazari Hope you have a Happy New Year.

lio007

Wazari wrote:
31 Dec 2019, 21:32
Just wanted to wish everyone a Happy New Year. While I try and answer all your PM's, this year has been very difficult personally so if I did not answer your PM, I hope you understand.

In terms of Honda, I feel they have been fairly transparent. Since many of you have asked about the Spec 5 not being introduced this season, there have been several reasons for this. Strategy, taking a very conservative approach with 2020 in mind and the gearbox have all led to the people with much higher ranking than me making the decision to hold off. Overall, I think 2019 can be called a successful year for Honda.

Thank you for all your kind PM's. I will be involved indirectly with Honda for the next two years plus, but nothing to do with F1. I hope everyone has a healthy, peaceful and satisfying 2020.
Hi Wazari-san,
all the best and a happy, healthy, successful New Year!
Your input here is missed a lot, so I hope you can give us some information on the Honda-F1-PU from time to time, it's very much appreciated.
I'm quite surprised the gearbox was one reason to cancel Spec5 in 2019.

etusch

I wonder if Redbull redesign it for specially Honda power unit or keep adapting old one to the pu

Happy new year for all members :arrow:

lio007

etusch wrote:
31 Dec 2019, 22:56
I wonder if Redbull redesign it for specially Honda power unit or keep adapting old one to the pu

Happy new year for all members :arrow:
I wonder if gear ratios were the reason or the shape of the gearbox? Although what can hinder a new spec of a split-turbo-PU in terms of gearbox design?

Wouter

Hino wrote:
31 Dec 2019, 21:54
@Wouter Unfortunately I could not find a NHK BS1 online stream to capture the program.
Hopefully I will be able to find it later on.
Thank you for your kind message @Hino.
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Wazari wrote:
31 Dec 2019, 21:32
I hope everyone has a healthy, peaceful and satisfying 2020.
Same to you Wazari san, a healthy, peaceful and satisfying 2020!
Nice to see you here again. Thanks for all the information you gave us.
Don't forget to post something here occasionally, even if you are no longer working in F1. :wink:
Again: Happy and Healthy Newyear to you and everybody here on the forum.
The Power of Dreams!

Snorked

So was there any juicy info in the NHK doc?

Quick Google search around Japanese F1 blogs, I see mentions of:

-Honda doing all the fuel work.

So Exxon only supplied oils in 2019?

-Internal resistance to in-house parts production.

-Honda and McLaren didn't talk:

"Yamamoto MD explained that "McLaren and Honda were too strange to respect each other and did not talk about each other"

-Honda Jet fixed the PU shaft / bearing issues with the first prototype.

Wouter

Snorked wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 14:18
Quick Google search around Japanese F1 blogs, I see mentions of:

-Honda doing all the fuel work.

So Exxon only supplied oils in 2019?
" Honda doing all the fuel work." ?? That must be a mistake.
The Power of Dreams!

Snorked

I don't know, these are Google translated user comments:

http://f1jouhou2.blog.fc2.com/?m2=res&n ... p=1&page=1

"After all, ExxonMobil did not do anything"

"HONDA was giving Esso instructions on the fuel components"

To me that says Honda did all fuel development and Exxon delivered the drums of Honda's recipe.

Wouter

Snorked wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 14:36

"HONDA was giving Esso instructions on the fuel components."
I have no idea who those people are, who say such things, but it really doesn't make any sense at all.
ExxonMobil develops a fuel that belongs to the specifications of a certain engine.
Honda really does not do that itself, they have ExxonMobil for that.
The Power of Dreams!

Snorked

They've watched the documentary so this must've been said. From the PU thread we knew Honda used their own fuel research division:

Bill

Exxon developed the fuel when spec 4 was released they waited for fuel that Exxon has been working on for 2 years David the lead engineer at Exxon explained it .

With fuel they are no magic potions f1 rules stipulate that you have to use blends that have already been used in road cars were will Honda get the know how that eclipse an oil company.

bigblue

lio007 wrote:
31 Dec 2019, 23:06
I wonder if gear ratios were the reason or the shape of the gearbox? Although what can hinder a new spec of a split-turbo-PU in terms of gearbox design?
Maybe some reliability concerns when paired with the next evolution of the engine ? Total guess.

Wouter wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 15:18
Snorked wrote:

I have no idea who those people are, who say such things, but it really doesn't make any sense at all.
ExxonMobil develops a fuel that belongs to the specifications of a certain engine.
There's an auto-translated sentence with a not-quite double-negative in there ("did not do anything"), so maybe that could be mistranslated ? Shoud be a bit cautious in assuming it's an accurate translation, and anyway it's user comments from a forum !

ispano6

Hino wrote:
31 Dec 2019, 21:54
Wouter wrote:
31 Dec 2019, 12:24
Hino wrote:
30 Dec 2019, 06:57
A 2 min preview of a NHK special program about Honda F1 project in 2019.

https://streamable.com/2tf8p
https://twitter.com/HondaRacingF1/statu ... 6836550657
Google translate.

Are you ready for the new year, everyone in Japan?
A documentary of Honda F1 2019 will be broadcast on NHK BS1 from 20:00 on the first day of tomorrow.
There are many scenes that capture the back side of the victory, so please take a look!
Let's all have a good year. 😀

[January 1 night] Honda won the dramatic resurrection championship in F1. Despite the slump
since returning in 2015, he won the Austrian GP in June for the first time in 13 years.
Looking back on the races of the 19 season, the first public video recording behind the scenes!
Introduce Japanese companies pursuing new technologies with one team. [BS1]
@Wouter Unfortunately I could not find a NHK BS1 online stream to capture the program. Hopefully I will be able to find it later on.

@Wazari Hope you have a Happy New Year.
It will re-air on 1/5 5am on BS1. It also seems to be streamable within Japan, but maybe this page is just a preview page. https://www4.nhk.or.jp/bs1sp/x/2020-01- ... 4/2393183/

Hino

Wouter wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 15:18
Snorked wrote:

@Wouter IIRC, A fuel compound from Honda's aviation department used with their jet engines was introduced to Exxon/Mobil via Honda F1. So it took awhile for Mobil to get the formula right.

https://www.speedweek.com/formel1/news/ ... Mobil.html