[ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Manoah2u

[ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Team: Image Renault F1 Team
Base: Image Enstone, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Team principal: Clotilde Delbos, Jérome Stoll, Cyril Abiteboul
Technical director(s): Pat Fry

Race drivers:

3 Image Daniel Ricciardo
31 Image Esteban Ocon

Test drivers :

Chassis: RS20
Engine: Renault V6 Turbo

2019 position: 5th (91 pts)

This thread is to discuss the 2020 Renault F1 TEAM
Last edited by Manoah2u on 30 Dec 2019, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Holm86

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Manoah2u wrote:
30 Dec 2019, 02:20
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 19.svg.png

Team: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ce.svg.png Renault F1 Team
Base: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... om.svg.png Enstone, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Team principal: Clotilde Delbos, Jérome Stoll, Cyril Abiteboul
Technical director(s): Nick Chester

Race drivers:

3 https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ia.svg.png Daniel Ricciardo
31 https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ce.svg.png Esteban Ocon

Test drivers :

Chassis: RS20
Engine: Renault V6 Turbo

2019 position: 5th (91 pts)

https://i.imgur.com/1nysdgv.gif

https://i.imgur.com/JqsCpEq.gif

https://i.imgur.com/c2JWsAU.gif

This thread is to discuss the 2020 Renault F1 TEAM
Nick Chester has left Renault. Pat Fry is reportedly taking over his role

lio007

JordanMugen

""There is no team looking at 2021 the way we are looking at that particular year. I don't think there is any team as advanced as we are on 2021, simply because we have decided to allocate lots of resources to it." -- Abiteboul

Sounds great!

There is no reason Renault can't roll out of the garage at Melbourne 2021 with the fastest car on the grid, that's the goal. :)

Similarly, the 2020 car should perform a lot better simply by fixing the things wrong with the 2019 car, and getting the optimum out of the existing philosophy of winglets and bargeboards.

Renaults goal for 2020 is simple IMO. To comprehensively beat McLaren-Renault, to regularly challenge the slowest of the top 3 teams at every track, and to score 3 to 6 podiums in the process of doing so. :)

Renault were supposed to lift themselves from Group 2 (midfield) to Group 1.5 in 2019 but they failed. 2020 is the chance to make it right, before rolling out a true championship calibre new regulation car. :)

skoop

JordanMugen wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 16:00
""There is no team looking at 2021 the way we are looking at that particular year. I don't think there is any team as advanced as we are on 2021, simply because we have decided to allocate lots of resources to it." -- Abiteboul

Sounds great!

There is no reason Renault can't roll out of the garage at Melbourne 2021 with the fastest car on the grid, that's the goal. :)

Similarly, the 2020 car should perform a lot better simply by fixing the things wrong with the 2019 car, and getting the optimum out of the existing philosophy of winglets and bargeboards.

Renaults goal for 2020 is simple IMO. To comprehensively beat McLaren-Renault, to regularly challenge the slowest of the top 3 teams at every track, and to score 3 to 6 podiums in the process of doing so. :)

Renault were supposed to lift themselves from Group 2 (midfield) to Group 1.5 in 2019 but they failed. 2020 is the chance to make it right, before rolling out a true championship calibre new regulation car. :)
Of course I can be totally wrong about this, but I don't think that Renault will beat the midfielders next season. If it's true what Abiteboul says, most of the ressources are working on the 2021 contender, therefore there won't be a big improvement in 2020.

Emag

Truth be told, Renault didn't actually improve that much from 2018 to 2019 too. In terms of percentage, McLaren improved nearly 6 times more from 2018 to 2019 than Renault did. And compared to the top 3, their improvement was close to that of RedBull (0.1% better than them). And that's underwhelming because there is a lot less margin for improvement in top teams than midfield teams. If they improve by the same amount this season compared to last year, they will be around the level McLaren was this year (0.03% faster). They need to do a much better job if they want to stay competitive in the midfield, let alone fight the top 3.

Source - I have gathered data last season for team's improvements between 2018 and 2019 and posted those results on reddit for the most part of the 2019 season.

SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:Truth be told, Renault didn't actually improve that much from 2018 to 2019 too. In terms of percentage, McLaren improved nearly 6 times more from 2018 to 2019 than Renault did. And compared to the top 3, their improvement was close to that of RedBull (0.1% better than them). And that's underwhelming because there is a lot less margin for improvement in top teams than midfield teams. If they improve by the same amount this season compared to last year, they will be around the level McLaren was this year (0.03% faster). They need to do a much better job if they want to stay competitive in the midfield, let alone fight the top 3.

Source - I have gathered data last season for team's improvements between 2018 and 2019 and posted those results on reddit for the most part of the 2019 season.
The Mclaren improvement is big because they had issues with the MCL34, therefore not that surprising for the big jump in between seasons... But, Renault definitely needs to make a bigger improvement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

godlameroso

Renault's bargeboards were very bad, just changing this alone is probably worth half a second.
Saishū kōnā

Emag

SmallSoldier wrote:
20 Jan 2020, 21:08
The Mclaren improvement is big because they had issues with the MCL34, therefore not that surprising for the big jump in between seasons... But, Renault definitely needs to make a bigger improvement.
I know McLaren had their issues with MCL-33* in 2018. I did not mean to emphasize that point. I simply wanted to say that based on Renault's objectives after 2018, their improvement to 2019 was not exactly spectacular. If we take McLaren out, you still have Alfa Romeo who improved 2 times as much as them and Toro Rosso who improved 3 times as much.

Now you could argue that both Alfa Romeo and Toro Rosso had some issues in 2018 so that makes them look better too. Perhaps we are judging Renault too harshly. It probably is incredibly difficult for a midfield team to close the gap to the top 3 when they are nowhere near their budget.

Let's wait and see this year. If McLaren, or any other midfield team (probably RP) makes a significant step forward and closes the gap to the top 3 and Renault stands still, then there is definitely something wrong with their team.
Last edited by Emag on 20 Jan 2020, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.

Emag

godlameroso wrote:
20 Jan 2020, 22:51
Renault's bargeboards were very bad, just changing this alone is probably worth half a second.
You can't just change the bargeboard. It is a very critical area of the car in the current regulations. It has to go with the whole package. If they change the bargeboard configuration, chances are they would have to change their car philosophy as well. (Look at the difference between MCL-33 and MCL-34).

If they have the resources, opting for a different philosophy might not be a bad idea considering that the philosophy they have followed from 2018 hasn't showed great potential so far.

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
20 Jan 2020, 21:08
Emag wrote:Truth be told, Renault didn't actually improve that much from 2018 to 2019 too. In terms of percentage, McLaren improved nearly 6 times more from 2018 to 2019 than Renault did. And compared to the top 3, their improvement was close to that of RedBull (0.1% better than them). And that's underwhelming because there is a lot less margin for improvement in top teams than midfield teams. If they improve by the same amount this season compared to last year, they will be around the level McLaren was this year (0.03% faster). They need to do a much better job if they want to stay competitive in the midfield, let alone fight the top 3.

You need to be carefull when playing the percentages Game. If I earn 100K per year and get a 8% raise, the percnetage makes it look alot larger than the guy next to me that is making 200K and got a 4% raise. In reality the $ value of that raise is the same.

McLaren would be the 100K guy ....McLaren Figured out their problem in 2018 but couldn't fix it on that car. It's debateable when they discovered the issue, it isn't that importatnt anyways. You can be assure that all their resources went onto the 2019 car after that while the 2018 car stopped progressing at some point during the summer. The 2018 car was also slower than it actually was cause of a flaw in the wheelbase. So the 2019 Car got perf bump #1 with the fix to the 2018's car problem plus an extra bump from the 2019 development. They're not gonna get that first bump in 2020.

JordanMugen

diffuser wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 19:31
The 2018 car was also slower than it actually was cause of a flaw in the wheelbase. So the 2019 Car got perf bump #1 with the fix to the 2018's car problem plus an extra bump from the 2019 development. They're not gonna get that first bump in 2020.
Renault will however get that first bump on the RS20 as the RS19 was flawed and had rear end instability during long corners.

So simply by fixing this rear end instability flaw and being able to use the maximum potential downforce of the aero package consistently throughout the entire corner, Renault should make a huge gain. =D>

NathanOlder

JordanMugen wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 14:35
diffuser wrote:
The 2018 car was also slower than it actually was cause of a flaw in the wheelbase. So the 2019 Car got perf bump #1 with the fix to the 2018's car problem plus an extra bump from the 2019 development. They're not gonna get that first bump in 2020.
Renault will however get that first bump on the RS20 as the RS19 was flawed and had rear end instability during long corners.

So simply by fixing this rear end instability flaw and being able to use the maximum potential downforce of the aero package consistently throughout the entire corner, Renault should make a huge gain. =D>
Would love to see Daniel and Esteban in and around the front group in some races this year , would be great to watch.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

SmallSoldier

JordanMugen wrote:
diffuser wrote:

I’m sure that if it would be easy to fix, they would have done it through the season in 2019... But yes, the midfield teams need to get a few things right and they can make important improvements... Renault and corner stability in medium and fast corners, Mclaren with slow corners or front heavy tracks.

I really hope that Renault keeps moving forward, but I don’t think it will happen in 2020... Their efforts and focus seems to be in 2021 when they actually can make a big jump so this season seems that it will be a throwaway one unluckily.

diffuser

JordanMugen wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 14:35
diffuser wrote:

We'll never know till we know if they fix the Renault flaw and we really have no idea how big that flaw is. Plus I don't think Renault stopp development on the 2019 till late ...