McLaren MCL35 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
trinidefender

Re: McLaren MCL35 Speculation Thread

godlameroso wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 23:52
Ground Effect wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 23:01
godlameroso wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 22:13

Strong words, this is the McLaren topic, I'll only say that Red Bull's 2018 performance was flattered by circumstances. They earned every win they got, what I mean is yes they had a good chassis, and the weakest link in their chassis performance was always the Renault engine. That is what failed. Why did it fail? Because Red Bull designed their own cooling and rear end, which wasn't always compatible with the limits of the Renault machine. Which is why I say their performance was in spite of, and not because of the Renault engine.

What we have seen in 2019 is that the Red Bull had more than adequate cooling for everything and nothing broke this year, despite this conservative approach they still surpassed 2018's chassis performance. 2020 will be even better as they will push things more to the limit for the aero performance it brings.

Yes McLaren will certainly be better, but I maintain that if you go too extreme with the rear end, the Ferrari/Renault layout has more trouble dealing with it, than a split turbo setup. In 2019 the Ferrari/Renault layout had the lowest chassis performance, the Ferrari/Renault layout did much better on drag limited circuits vs downforce limited circuits. McLaren did very well, and has a chance to make another big step, this is obvious. However with a Mercedes power unit with a split turbo setup they have a chance to take an even bigger step.

If McLaren were happy with what was possible with Renault they would have stayed, because the Renault power unit is now relatively on par with the others, and will be even better in 2020.
We can’t be sure the Renault engine will be better in 2020, we can only speculate/hope
It has to be better, otherwise you're going backwards.
Better compared to 2019, almost guaranteed but also an irrelevant metric.

Better in 2020 compared to other PU's than how they compared in 2019, no guarantee at all.

_cerber1

pazazamadaz

'35A' as in an A-spec?

Zynerji

pazazamadaz wrote:
07 Jan 2020, 14:45
'35A' as in an A-spec?
If it is a winglet of a larger assembly, I'm guessing it could just be the assembly ordering. So 35A might be just the first winglet in a cascade.

the EDGE

Zynerji wrote:
07 Jan 2020, 15:22
pazazamadaz wrote:
07 Jan 2020, 14:45
'35A' as in an A-spec?
If it is a winglet of a larger assembly, I'm guessing it could just be the assembly ordering. So 35A might be just the first winglet in a cascade.
I seem to remember reading some years ago that McLaren use designation letters for parts in manufacture & testing to keep track of things. It doesn’t mean they are planning a b-spec car at any point, only that they make various iterations of elements to use/try

ThePapayaJaguar

https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/12 ... 65025?s=19

Can't believe you guys haven't posted this yet. People in the comments are guessing that there may be more black on the MCL35's livery. Could be a possibility because of the expansion of the BAT sponsorship. Looks like the tub to me, not absolutely sure.

SmallSoldier

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SmallSoldier

Picture of the Indycar Mclaren at CES this week... Does it seem that they are going for a Matte Paint? Will the MCL35 use a Matte Paint scheme?

M840TR

SmallSoldier wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 04:22
Picture of the Indycar Mclaren at CES this week... Does it seem that they are going for a Matte Paint? Will the MCL35 use a Matte Paint scheme?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202001 ... 5137f6.jpg

It could be useful in reducing weight. They could also be planning to leave any black sections of the car bare carbon.

mclaren111

ThePapayaJaguar wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 02:32

Can't believe you guys haven't posted this yet. People in the comments are guessing that there may be more black on the MCL35's livery. Could be a possibility because of the expansion of the BAT sponsorship. Looks like the tub to me, not absolutely sure.

No Black in BAT's official colors...
The British American Tobacco Logo Colors with Hex & RGB Codes has 2 colors which are Orange-Yellow (#FAB41E) and Yale Blue (#17468B) - as per Logo below.

astracrazy

ThePapayaJaguar wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 02:32

Highly unlikely the car would be painted yet, it would be the last thing they do. Most likely its just the black from carbon fiber and the guy is sanding it down or something.

bauc

Still no launch date announced?
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

godlameroso

We haven't heard a peep coming from Renault, no mention of how their power unit has progressed, nothing.
Saishū kōnā

SmallSoldier

godlameroso wrote:We haven't heard a peep coming from Renault, no mention of how their power unit has progressed, nothing.
Seems they are learning from Mclaren in terms of managing expectations... Better for them to keep it low key and then exceed expectations.

Macklaren

M840TR wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 09:13
SmallSoldier wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 04:22

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202001 ... 5137f6.jpg

It could be useful in reducing weight. They could also be planning to leave any black sections of the car bare carbon.
In my view, it is almost certain that virtually every car next year (maybe except Williams) will have matte paint. The fact that Mclaren switched to more matte black half way through the season is a sign that the aero and weight gains are too good to ignore.