2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
godlameroso

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

According to RB they're a bit ahead of schedule. Sure you can't see who is fastest from testing, even if the teams are going all out, it's way too easy to sand bag by just taking strange lines through the corners.

But you can still learn stuff. Like Mercedes sector 3 showed they were really fast. The cold temperatures may have been flattering the car as well.

Luckily we have last year's race to compare. We know cars are just evolutions of last year so pace should be similar. So we can roughly see at least a relative performance vs last year. Again, it's too easy to sand bag.

If fastest race lap was in the 18's last year, RB needs to achieve that if they want to truly challenge.
Saishū kōnā

Alexf1

RB did a 19.7 during the race so there's room for improvement.

godlameroso

Definitely. And Mercedes will likely be faster as well.

The ultimate performance is likely closer I doubt the RB was over a second per lap slower. More likely the .3 and change advantage could be pooled. As in still be .2 seconds faster and save the tenth to set fast laps at the end. Where the RB was forced to run at a more steady pace.
Saishū kōnā

sennafan68

Wouldn't times relative to last year be irrelevant as the new tyres are reportedly slower ? Comparisons between teams would be the only gauge and even then taken with a pinch of salt for reasons already mentioned

Juzh

sennafan68 wrote:
11 Jan 2020, 12:19
Wouldn't times relative to last year be irrelevant as the new tyres are reportedly slower ? Comparisons between teams would be the only gauge and even then taken with a pinch of salt for reasons already mentioned
Tyres will stay the same as last year. 2020 tyres have been rejected by the teams after abu dhabi test.

godlameroso

The only change being made is higher tire pressures, however I think it's unnecessary. If the cars are faster due to having more downforce then it will be easier to manage thermal degradation. If the new power units take a step in power over last year, then perhaps there will be more rear tire wear on certain tracks/tire combinations.

Honestly I don't think pressures need to be touched, rather Pirelli could simply pick a harder compound in the range as a race tire. If performance between teams converge the top 3 may not have the luxury of being able to qualify on mediums.

By having what is essentially a qualifying tire, it will force teams to make a pit stop near the first quarter of the race distance, this makes the strategy later on more interesting, and requires a two stopper, or a brave one stopper.
Saishū kōnā

Marti_EF3

As always, like every year, I'll be on the tests at Barcelona. Last 3 days, morning and afternoon. Giving all updates and videos I can. I'm really excited to see what the RB16 and RA620h will bring. February can't come soon enough!! =P~ =P~

Wouter

Marti_EF3 wrote:
11 Jan 2020, 20:47
As always, like every year, I'll be on the tests at Barcelona.
Last 3 days, morning and afternoon. Giving all updates and videos I can.
Great, as always !! I'm looking forward to it again, Marti !!
The Power of Dreams!

godlameroso

I just finished putting a new engine in my Honda, it is a big improvement, hopefully Honda's next engine is also a good step!
Saishū kōnā

etusch

Marti_EF3 wrote:
As always, like every year, I'll be on the tests at Barcelona. Last 3 days, morning and afternoon. Giving all updates and videos I can. I'm really excited to see what the RB16 and RA620h will bring. February can't come soon enough!! =P~ =P~
How many long days to testing?

lio007

etusch wrote:
12 Jan 2020, 16:32
Marti_EF3 wrote:
38!

etusch

lio007 wrote:
12 Jan 2020, 16:40
etusch wrote:
12 Jan 2020, 16:32
Marti_EF3 wrote:
38!
Thank you 🤙

dren

godlameroso wrote:
12 Jan 2020, 07:03
I just finished putting a new engine in my Honda, it is a big improvement, hopefully Honda's next engine is also a good step!
Care to expand? I picked up a Type-R last May. It's amazing how far their cars have come since my CRX days. I had an AP2 for a while, and it was quite good.
Honda!

godlameroso

It's an AP1 with 317,000km that I'm restoring. New engine is a Frankenstein f24 I pieced together. K24 crank, custom rods, AP2 pistons in an AP2 block, and head(which I hand ported). It goes on the dyno on Thursday when I get around to installing an AEM EMS v2, and do its 3rd oil change.
Saishū kōnā

ME4ME

Asked whether the team should be aiming for its 2020 car to start the season second only to reigning champion Mercedes, Honda's F1 managing director Masashi Yamamoto told Motorsport.com: "We agree with this view. And in order to make it come true, as Honda we have to prepare a good engine.

"This year it was, we don't say 'unstable', but we had a preference in the circuit. We shouldn't have that kind of thing.

"So we can tell to Max 'we are here', good everywhere, in every race. We have to provide that kind of engine, doing good development."

"I think that what we have given to the team or Max this year compared to the past is probably the reliability of the PU, and then he has more time to set up for the qualifying," Yamamoto said.

"He doesn't need to be worried about the engine breaking up. So he could have more time properly setting up for the race and qualifying.

"And I think that's the reason Max had better result [than 2018] especially."
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hond ... R6BnW0sTHE

Talk about the manufacturer being aligned with the driver. The quotes in this article again reinforce just why Red Bull had to sign Verstappen no matter if the cost were reasonable or not. Honda seem extremely keen to make this partnership win the championship and their continuation might've heavily depended on Verstappen staying or not.