2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LM10

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Funny how everything seems to be focused on Max only. Publicly talking about providing Max the engine he needs. Must be cool to be Albon in that team. :)

Bill

Redbull has made been it clear they are building the team around Max that's not news so Honda are onboard too when they signed with Mclaren they demanded a champion driver.

Wouter

LM10 wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 00:47
Funny how everything seems to be focused on Max only. Publicly talking about providing Max the engine he needs. Must be cool to be Albon in that team. :)
Honda wants to become world champion with Max, because that will not happen with Albon, Kvyat and Gasly.
Why not just mention that, because the other three drivers know that themselves.
The Power of Dreams!

Webber2011

Precisely why Riccardo left

LM10

Wouter wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 12:50
LM10 wrote:
Honda wants to become world champion with Max, because that will not happen with Albon, Kvyat and Gasly.
Why not just mention that, because the other three drivers know that themselves.
Why are you sure about that not happening with Albon? What we've seen from him until now was exceptionally good. Entered the team mid-season, in an enviroment totally focused on Max, but still delivered.

Let's consider RBR having the best car overall and suited to Albon. Why would he not win it?

Just_a_fan

LM10 wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 22:29

Let's consider RBR having the best car overall and suited to Albon. Why would he not win it?
Max@RBR is the new Seb@RBR. The team have decided that he is the future star and his team mate will not be. This will play out exactly as it did back with Seb and Mark, except I expect that Albon will be more laid back / grateful to be in a winning team so early in his career. Mark had been about a bit and knew it was "now or never".

If Albon turns up and starts winning races from under Max, expect the team to step in.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Capharol

LM10 wrote:
Wouter wrote:
LM10 wrote:
Why are you sure about that not happening with Albon? What we've seen from him until now was exceptionally good. Entered the team mid-season, in an enviroment totally focused on Max, but still delivered.

because Max has already proved he gets the maximum out of the car, Albon can prove himself in 2020 how good he really is

Juzh

LM10 wrote:
Wouter wrote:
LM10 wrote:

I wasn't convinced by albon this year, but since he's a rookie things can be forgiven for now. He's better than Gasly, yes, but that's not saying much. When the chips were down he really dropped the ball. The over ambittious move on sainz in monza, safety car restart lockup in brazil, then leaving the door open on hamilton and slamming it shut without leaving any margin at all.. The restart especially he showed his stubborness when he refused to change brake balance and even told his engineer to stop bugging him, only for him to lock up his tyres into T1 and having to defend against hamilton imediately.
This guy still has a long way to go before he'll be a serious challenger for regular podiums, let alone wins.

Bill

“He came to Red Bull and saw only one goal in front of him – Verstappen, no one else.
“If he had accepted from the very beginning that Max is still faster, and tried to gradually get close to him – but he tried to change his style, tried to reduce the gap in other ways, change something, try to attack harder. And this led to complete failure.

I don't think Marko is being fair he promised Gasly that the car would be changed to suit his driving style and Rbr renegaded on that promise in fact they told Gasly to use Max setup and just get on with it.But the gap was not as big as other would like to believe e.g. In Barcelona it was 0.350 better than his replacement thing started to go really sour in last three races personally I think at that time Gasly and Rbr have reached irreconcilable differences I know some people like to dwell on so and so lapped so and so without looking at context.

Capharol

Bill wrote:
19 Jan 2020, 19:39
“He came to Red Bull and saw only one goal in front of him – Verstappen, no one else.
“If he had accepted from the very beginning that Max is still faster, and tried to gradually get close to him – but he tried to change his style, tried to reduce the gap in other ways, change something, try to attack harder. And this led to complete failure.

I don't think Marko is being fair he promised Gasly that the car would be changed to suit his driving style and Rbr renegaded on that promise in fact they told Gasly to use Max setup and just get on with it.But the gap was not as big as other would like to believe e.g. In Barcelona it was 0.350 better than his replacement thing started to go really sour in last three races personally I think at that time Gasly and Rbr have reached irreconcilable differences I know some people like to dwell on so and so lapped so and so without looking at context.
they helped Gasly in every thinkable way, they even gave him the setup of Verstappen to start the weekend (FP's) with, but Monsieur Gasly thought he was better and changed that setup.

and yes, I dwell about the part of being lapped, because if you have been lapped in two races by your teammate in equal cars without problems, you are just not good enough..... and not even to mention he wrecked two cars in the tests in Februar and some other things.
Gasly just put to much pressure on himself and he broke under that pressure.

his recovery at TR was very good though, but there the pressure was gone.

I rest my case

shingles

Capharol wrote:
Bill wrote:
19 Jan 2020, 19:39

they helped Gasly in every thinkable way, they even gave him the setup of Verstappen to start the weekend (FP's) with, but Monsieur Gasly thought he was better and changed that setup.

and yes, I dwell about the part of being lapped, because if you have been lapped in two races by your teammate in equal cars without problems, you are just not good enough..... and not even to mention he wrecked two cars in the tests in Februar and some other things.
Gasly just put to much pressure on himself and he broke under that pressure.

his recovery at TR was very good though, but there the pressure was gone.

I rest my case
Better than Gasley isn’t saying much? Gasley has more experience than Albon and in a given car albon was immediately better. I think that says a lot.

Is he going to beat max? Probably never will. But he doesn’t have to. He just has to be able to keep up with the top team 2nd driver. I think that’s all he has to do.

I think you might be way overly critical of albon at this time. This time next year maybe we can all be super critical if he becomes a burden on the team.

Jaisonas

Capharol wrote:
19 Jan 2020, 21:31
... and not even to mention he wrecked two cars in the tests in Februar and some other things.
To be fair, the car was ass in february

Bill

I think people are overlooking an important factor which is driven style. The Redbull car was built around Max , Gasly still finished on the podium so if he could do that in a slower Str he could easily do that in a faster Rbr if he had the set up that suit his style but according to him Redbull could have done better but they didn't.

NathanOlder

Yeah agreed Bill. I would bet that if Gasly and Albon both left and joined e.g Sauber , over a season Gasly would beat Albon.

With the RedBull in 2019, Max scored 0 wins and 2 podiums. In the last 8 races he scored 1 win and 4 podiums. The RBR was much stronger when Albon had it, compared to when Gasly had it.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Capharol

Bill wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 10:12
I think people are overlooking an important factor which is driven style. The Redbull car was built around Max , Gasly still finished on the podium so if he could do that in a slower Str he could easily do that in a faster Rbr if he had the set up that suit his style but according to him Redbull could have done better but they didn't.
the car developed over the year, so can you compare it?, can you compare two drivers in different cars? ..... not really, you can only compare them with the teammate (Verstappen) and Albon did a better job then Gasly (tbf if Hamilton didn't spin Albon in Brasil, Albon would have been on the podium and not Gasly).

ifs and buts don't count, because you can't measure them