[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

bauc wrote:
Zynerji wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 16:48
"2021 car already in the tunnel"...
Zak is very cautions in his words and I fully support this approach.... last year the self inflicted burden of WE ARE MCLAREN AND WE MUST WIN NOW was off Mclaren shoulders and with two young and easygoing drivers the team was reborn. Nobody expects that Mclaren again will leap 2 - 3 places up in the constructors as that would mean to win the championship but a steady progress towards that is all we ask.
I’m sure the team has improved over the MCL34 and probably gained a decent amount of lap time over the winter... The question is if that improvement is larger or smaller than the other teams

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bauc

SmallSoldier wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 17:22
bauc wrote:
Zynerji wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 16:48

"2021 car already in the tunnel"...
Zak is very cautions in his words and I fully support this approach.... last year the self inflicted burden of WE ARE MCLAREN AND WE MUST WIN NOW was off Mclaren shoulders and with two young and easygoing drivers the team was reborn. Nobody expects that Mclaren again will leap 2 - 3 places up in the constructors as that would mean to win the championship but a steady progress towards that is all we ask.
I’m sure the team has improved over the MCL34 and probably gained a decent amount of lap time over the winter... The question is if that improvement is larger or smaller than the other teams

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes, also the MCL-34 was a track specific car where I hope the MCL-35 willl be more competitive on most of the tracks (slow speed DF and front mechanical grip are areas that I hope will be addressed)
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

ME4ME

"Really, what we need to do is just get tidier, more race fit, get a good head-start, the 2021 car's already in the wind tunnel, we feel pretty good about the 2020 car.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... n/4651015/

Okey so it's mid-january and Mclaren have an early iteration of their 2021 car in the windtunnel.
Ahead of this one would expect that they've done very thourough research, analysis of the technical rules including identifying limiations and areas for potential development. Then drawn up the a first iteration of the outer surfaces of the car, surely with preliminary volummetric information from Mercedes regarding the PU. Then gone through some exploratary ground work in CFD. Set an early specification and build a 60% scale model, and now running it in the windtunnel.

It's an awful lot of work that's already been done. It's nice to hear the confirmation that they're progressing nicely.
That said, one shouldn't be naive; you'd expect nothing less of any of the Formula 1 teams on the grid bar maybe Williams and Haas. I bet most teams had their preliminary analysis, CAD and CFD done by the time the regulations got confirmed at the end of October and had the 60% scale model in production the very same week. So presumably they've actually been windtunnel-testing the car for a solid 10 weeks by now at least. Obviously still sharing time with the 2020 car. Wouldn't be surpriced if pre-studies and concept-focused CFD started pre-2019 even, but I wonder if they actually spend any windtunnel time ahead of the regulation release.

lio007

Nice german interview with Seidl in Dezember:

Took the translation from Autosport forum by Marklar
- he became a F1 fan during the time Schumacher became a thing and thus wanted to one day be in F1, hence why he then studied mechanical engineering and made his first step into F1 via a internship at BMW in 1999 where he helped working in the engine department (then talked a bit about what he did next, but that should be all known)
- maximum possible position in 2020 is of course P4 again, but the target is to improve further and get performance-wise between the top teams and the midfield
- he thinks McLaren has everything it needs to be succesful in the future
- there will be some more adjustments in the near future, but the structure is already good (I assume the recent Stella promotion could be about that)
- it's important for him that everybody is at the right position so that they can use their talents to the fullest and that they have fun doing it, he is against a blaming culture and politics too, he thinks McLaren is on a good way in this area too
- Seidl was not surprised about Norris' speed (based on his feeder career), he has speed which is most important, and he developed well over the season too (risked more in the 2nd half after he was careful at the beginning at starts)
- Sainz was right away a important part of the team, when he gives feedback it would sometimes feel like he is a engineer himself (lol), he is very clear when it comes to the development of the car, and his speed speaks for itself too.
- About Sainz/Norris relationship he says that it's important for him to give the freedom necessary to be themselves, but you also need clear rules: t's only important for him that they are aggresive enough once the visor is down and that they concentrate on the important things (like engineer work) during the race weekend.
- he describes the drivers as the perfect ambassadors for McLaren
- he admits that they failed to go with the recent developments in the last few years and give the pitcrew the best equipment for the pitstops. They will invest for that for 2020.
- he thinks the current let them race rules practiced in the 2nd season half are very wishy-washy and he prefers clear rules, but is confident that this will change for the better this year.
- 2020 tyres were no improvement, hence why all teams agreed to scrap it. McLaren never had a issue with them in the first place and the action in F1 was good after Mercedes initially dominated the first races.
- The back and forth about the tyres had however no real impact on their development of the car though (because Pirelli made the changes way later than usual)
- he sees the budget cap as the only way to be sustainably succesful, currently they would have no chance even if they would perform to their absolute best (which they dont)
- however he admits that the top 3 does a better job than them regardless of money
- in his opinion the budget cap is still too high, because 4-5 teams still wont be able to afford it
- from McLaren's perspective, also considering the commitment of the owners, he thinks that they will be using the whole budget however
- with the new wind tunel and simulator they should have everything to fight with the top 3, it's all down to them then
- he is confident that the rule changes and budget cap will improve F1 massively
- he sees no reason why McLaren wouldnt commit to F1 for the future (negotiations are currently running for the details)
- new wind tunel (that is not miles away from the factory too) is extremely important because the new rules will put more importance on the aero, but the wind tunel will only be ready for 2022
- Target for 2022/23 (when everyone has settled) is to fight for podiums/wins
- he is not worried about Mercedes supposedly not being the benchmark on the engine side anymore, to him it was all factors included the best option, and with having the same engine as the WCC they wont have any excuses
- The possibility of Mercedes leaving as a works team played absolutely no role in this decision
- McLaren is not considering to have a junior team (like Toro Rosso) in F1 at all
- He doesnt think that McLaren needs a satellite team or support from other teams. McLaren will continue to build everything on their own.

Then there was also a (lighthearted) quick-fire round at the end
-Where would McLaren have finished in 2019 with Alonso? A: I think still at P4.
-Where will McLaren finish in 2020? A: I think we will fight again for P4.
- That's not an answering the question. A: P4 is the target. Hopefully we are closer to the top 3 lap time-wise.
- Will McLaren score a podium on it's own? A: No, not realistic. For that the gap to the top 3 is too big.
- Where did you had a bigger budget, Porsche LMP1 or McLaren F1? A: At McLaren
- Who was funnier, Sainz or Norris? A: Norris. You can tell that he is a couple of years younger.
- Be honest, did either of those two got on your nerves? A: Never! (laughs, and drinks beer which means that he is taking his joker and doesnt want to answer the question lmao)
- Who was it? A: That is a internal matter.
- Who wins the team battle in 2020, Carlos or Nando? A: (drinks beer again lol) I dont care, I just hope we defend P4 in the WCC.
- Which team boss is asking the most questions at the meetings? A: I think the top teams definitely talk the most.
- Which team boss annoys you the most? A: (drinks beer) In general I have a lot of respect or every team boss in F1. You shouldnt forget that we are all under big pressure, the sport is very complex....
- Do you think that McLaren can fight with you for the WCC? A. In general this has nothing to do with me or individuals in motor racing, it's always a team effort. But with the new rules, our commitment and the foundations we layed for the upcoming years I'm confident that we can fight for the top in future.
- If you had a one-driver-team, which of your two drivers would you take? A: We still got time till then, I would take the better one!
- And who would that be right now? A: I'm absolutely happy with both.
- Will McLaren get Alonso back to F1? A: I've answered this question quite often. We are very happy with our drivers, what they did this year was sensational. The future of McLaren in F1 belongs to them.
- Did you considered Hulkenberg at McLaren? A: Same answer here, we are very happy, so it was never a question.
- If Hamilton goes to Ferrari and Vettel has thus no contract he could go to McLaren in 2021? A: Again, same here, it's really no question for us, because we are very happy with Carlos and Lando. I can only repeat it: they showed great performances this year and are young. Hopefully we can give them a quicker car in the future and that we can manage things better as a team, so that they can fight for the top and prove that they are top drivers.
- What would you take if you had to pick something for the rest of your life? Formula E or F1? Alcohol free beer or real beer? A: I think I would take F1 in this case. As for beer...I rather drink less beer, but with alcohol!

ESPImperium

Done my digging, and it seems that the £25m deal with Petrobas has been largely negated with Unilever, as they have increased their exposure from the £15m they gave Williams to £20m for the McLaren side pods would be my guess. I also hear there could be a few more new sponsors for Mclaren.

Team are headed towards a healthy budget of around the €225m mark, this will be still less than the €320m that Red Bull operate at and the €400m that Mercedes (Chassis) and Ferrari operate at. Mercedes Brixworth operate one a separate budget, something Ferrari are looking at for 2021 and something Renault did in 2016 when they came back into the sport as a Chassis Team.

McLaren will be in good shape for 2020 and going into 2021. I have faith that McLaren will make the top three a big four.

mwillems

Whilst my heart craves a push at the sharp end of the grid, my head hopes not to find a reason to develop the 35 any longer than we absolutely need to. The earlier we focus on the 36 then the better the next few years will be. The 35 affects just this one season. The best season for Mclaren would be cruising to 4th I think with a few bites at Red Bulls tail.

In any case, it will be an exciting season, the 34 was a good base.
Last edited by mwillems on 17 Jan 2020, 09:30, edited 1 time in total.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mwillems

ESPImperium wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 23:43
Done my digging, and it seems that the £25m deal with Petrobas has been largely negated with Unilever, as they have increased their exposure from the £15m they gave Williams to £20m for the McLaren side pods would be my guess. I also hear there could be a few more new sponsors for Mclaren.

Team are headed towards a healthy budget of around the €225m mark, this will be still less than the €320m that Red Bull operate at and the €400m that Mercedes (Chassis) and Ferrari operate at. Mercedes Brixworth operate one a separate budget, something Ferrari are looking at for 2021 and something Renault did in 2016 when they came back into the sport as a Chassis Team.

McLaren will be in good shape for 2020 and going into 2021. I have faith that McLaren will make the top three a big four.
Budget was 225 in 18 I think, however we fell quite short of that in income and it was propped up by investors. Are you suggesting we will hit 225 in income this year? Maybe it is possible, I hope so.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

ScottR267

ESPImperium wrote:

If the deal Unilever have with McLaren is true as you state, that’s some coup given the BAT increase too.

Concerning the placement of their name, I thought that given their increase and becoming ‘principle partner’ that BAT were taking the side pods?

proteus

ScottR267 wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 10:04
ESPImperium wrote:

If the deal Unilever have with McLaren is true as you state, that’s some coup given the BAT increase too.

Concerning the placement of their name, I thought that given their increase and becoming ‘principle partner’ that BAT were taking the side pods?
I predict, they will have a spot on the side structure, between sidepods and front suspension/tea tray.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

trinidefender

proteus wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 15:26
ScottR267 wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:

I predict, they will have a spot on the side structure, between sidepods and front suspension/tea tray.
They can take all the old Petrobras spots including on the race suits.

ScottR267

proteus wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 15:26
ScottR267 wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:

Great shout that, agree with you on that! How is did you find out about the money for the deal with McLaren? The Williams money was published on many outlets but not seen anything for McLaren’s deal.

More new sponsors too...will the car even have the room?? What rumours have you heard?

ringo

Are they using mercedes this year or renault engines?
For Sure!!

bauc

ringo wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 23:45
renault
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

ScottR267

ringo wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 23:45
Renault again this year. Mercedes engines from 21

RonDennis

ESPImperium wrote:

Petrobras didn't pay McLaren 25 million pounds, it was 10 million dollars. Petrobras had a higher budget, but that was reserved for development of lubricants. Nobody knows if the deal with Unilever is compareable with Williams and Petrobras paid a termination fine since the contract was far from expired.

https://www.uol.com.br/esporte/f1/ultim ... minada.htm