McLaren MCL35 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Emag

Re: McLaren MCL35 Speculation Thread

f1rules wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 22:18
there is no way the 35 would be finished now right? on this picture the wingprofile seem the newer version but endplate is different, the cut out is completely different

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EOL8oCmXUAA ... name=large
They probably have finished models of the car that they have tested in CFD, however I doubt they would release any glimpse of them so early. We just have to wait for the release of it to see the full car.

proteus

Emag wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 22:50
f1rules wrote:
13 Jan 2020, 22:18
there is no way the 35 would be finished now right? on this picture the wingprofile seem the newer version but endplate is different, the cut out is completely different

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EOL8oCmXUAA ... name=large
They probably have finished models of the car that they have tested in CFD, however I doubt they would release any glimpse of them so early. We just have to wait for the release of it to see the full car.
They showed their nose for 2015, so it would not be the first time they would give a little sneak peak to fans.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

JRindt

Any news about the Renault power unit development for 2020? It’s been awfully quiet this year.

JRindt

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... UcjfI.html

Cautiously optimistic words from Norris. Looks like we can expect some podiums, if we go by last year’s talk-to-walk ratio =D>

Emag

JRindt wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 19:02

Cautiously optimistic words from Norris. Looks like we can expect some podiums, if we go by last year’s talk-to-walk ratio =D>
I would contain my "excitement" if I were you. The gap to the top 3, even though got shrunk, was still quite big by the end of 2019. They will have to gain ~1 second relative to the top 3 in order to fight for podiums. And when I say relative, that takes into the consideration the improvements the top 3 will make. So they probably need to make a step of ~1.5 seconds from last year to be in contention for podiums.

You really can't expect them to improve that much in one year's time. They did it from 2018 to 2019 because 2018 had a flawed car which was horrendous in every way imaginable. It was difficult to not improve from that point. The story is different this time around. It will be extremely hard to find anything more than 1 second for this season. And if they do find that second, it would be a huge achievement.

Also, Renault started closing in a little bit on the final races of 2019, especially on race pace. It is important to keep them at bay and secure another 4th place in the constructors. That's the realistic goal for 2020. Secure 4th again and be considerably closer to the top 3. If they do that, then we can all look for more from 2021 and beyond.

Ground Effect

JRindt wrote:

Talk-to-walk ratio... Nice one.. :lol:
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

JRindt

Emag wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 20:26
JRindt wrote:

I would contain my "excitement" if I were you. The gap to the top 3, even though got shrunk, was still quite big by the end of 2019. They will have to gain ~1 second relative to the top 3 in order to fight for podiums. And when I say relative, that takes into the consideration the improvements the top 3 will make. So they probably need to make a step of ~1.5 seconds from last year to be in contention for podiums.

You really can't expect them to improve that much in one year's time. They did it from 2018 to 2019 because 2018 had a flawed car which was horrendous in every way imaginable. It was difficult to not improve from that point. The story is different this time around. It will be extremely hard to find anything more than 1 second for this season. And if they do find that second, it would be a huge achievement.

Also, Renault started closing in a little bit on the final races of 2019, especially on race pace. It is important to keep them at bay and secure another 4th place in the constructors. That's the realistic goal for 2020. Secure 4th again and be considerably closer to the top 3. If they do that, then we can all look for more from 2021 and beyond.
Ohh I’m not expecting them to fight for any podiums on genuine pace at all. Just a couple of fortunate podiums when the big three trip themselves up.
Last year, the pace difference was such that, even if any of the big three make mistakes, they could climb right back up into top 6 by the end. I’m expecting McLaren’s pace this year to be in a position to capitalise on any slip ups from top teams like grid penalties or first lap incidents. It is even more likely as the WCC and WDC fight is expected to go to the wire.

JRindt

Ground Effect wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 20:45
JRindt wrote:

Talk-to-walk ratio... Nice one.. :lol:
An Engineer’s brain works in mysterious ways..... looking to quantify the unquantifiable :lol:

godlameroso

Last year they could qualify within ~1.2 seconds off pole.

McLaren wants to half that gap, quite possible and that would be enough for occasional lucky podiums. To me having McLaren be less than a second off means they're not getting lapped any more.

Maybe around really short tracks.

Maybe the improve by .5 relative to the others. A .7 deficit means they'll be there to pick up any places the leaders drop.

And let's be honest if performance converges among the top 3 more mistakes are a guarantee. Until now, Mercedes hasn't had season long pressure, such an unfamiliar scenario may catch them off guard and push them into making silly mistakes.

Like Mike Tyson said, you always have a game plan until you get popped in the mouth.
Last edited by godlameroso on 15 Jan 2020, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.
Saishū kōnā

M840TR

godlameroso wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 13:56

McLaren wants to half that gap, quite possible and that would be enough for occasional lucky podiums. To me having McLaren be less than a second off means they're not getting lapped any more.

The real test would be race pace. They qualified well usually but were more than 1.5 sec off leader pace per lap on Sundays.

godlameroso

M840TR wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 14:02
godlameroso wrote:

The real test would be race pace. They qualified well usually but were more than 1.5 sec off leader pace per lap on Sundays.
Do you think that pace deficit comes from the Renault engine not being as efficient as the others?
Saishū kōnā

AMG.Tzan

Just like Zac Brown said, i don't expect Mclaren to make another big step this year! Same goes for the rest of the field...i expect the midfield order to stay pretty much the same!

Only the big 3 i believe have the potential to mix up the Top 3 order a bit...they are the only ones who have the money to do it!

The others will have to turn their resources to the 2021 car early on to maybe get close to the top 3 with the new rules!

Question on the 2020 car is: How much different both as a concept and aesthetically will it be from 2019?? I hope James Key will make the difference and move them even closer to the top 3! [-o<
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

bauc

AMG.Tzan wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 14:09

Question on the 2020 car is: How much different both as a concept and aesthetically will it be from 2019?? I hope James Key will make the difference and move them even closer to the top 3! [-o<
Yes, I'm thinking of the same, if you change the front end, then by the domino effect you need to redesign most of your aero going backwards towards the RW and the diffuser, so it will be interesting to see how they will deal with this ''problem''
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

M840TR

godlameroso wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 14:03
M840TR wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 14:02
godlameroso wrote:

Do you think that pace deficit comes from the Renault engine not being as efficient as the others?
Tyre degradation is exaggerated with each lap as higher DF allows for better management. Renault was pretty decent with their PU's overall performance last year.

M840TR

bauc wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 14:15
AMG.Tzan wrote:
15 Jan 2020, 14:09

Yes, I'm thinking of the same, if you change the front end, then by the domino effect you need to redesign most of your aero going backwards towards the RW and the diffuser, so it will be interesting to see how they will deal with this ''problem''
There's been a lot of talk about the FW redesign but I'm not no sure anymore. They should no sign of going towards the Merc solution. In fact the opposite happened, with the entire grid.