Poll: Will Lewis Hamilton leave F1 after the 2020 season for climate change related reasons?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Will Lewis leave F1 due to climate change?

He'll leave at the end of the 2020 season
6%
He's here for the long haul
94%

Total votes: 66

izzy

Re: Poll: Will Lewis Hamilton leave F1 after the 2020 season for climate change related reasons?

Manoah2u wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 21:56
If he even slightly honestly cared for stuff like that he wouldn't be driving million-dollar supercar gas guzzlers but solely driving cars that have the fake image that they're environmentally friendly like hybrids or teslas. might he invest in some environment friendly or climate change causes? yeah, sure.
step out of f1 for that? hell no.

and make no mistake, Formula E is not environment friendly AT ALL if you actually delve into the deep depths and real truths of it.
of course he genuinely cares, he just doesn't fall for this fake standard that in order to care you have to be saintly consistent and live every tiny bit of your life about it. It's not a solution to do that or even try, human lives still have to be rich and fulfilling, and that includes racing and possibly being rich instead of poor. He can make a difference to what a huge number of people do, that is his role in it and it's more than most of the rest of us do

3jawchuck

Re: Poll: Will Lewis Hamilton leave F1 after the 2020 season for climate change related reasons?

AJI wrote:
14 Jan 2020, 23:27
And practically nothing is environmentally friendly if you look into it.
Nothing short of complete cessation of fossil fuel use will do anything worthwhile for the environment. Planting trees will do nothing, banning F1 will do nothing, eating less meat will do nothing.

Fulcrum

I vote no, i.e. he'll stick around.

If he did leave, it would be a true capitulation to the zeitgeist of the current era. All political posturing, with no substance. He'd do more for the cause by sticking around and advocating for change from within the sport as an active participant. It would be difficult to completely ignore the most successful driver in the sport's history, which he seems likely to become.

Also: money, fame, influence. All start to fade the minute you exit the sport, no matter how successful you were. He might reconsider were he to be involved in a major accident this year, but I wouldn't wish that potentiality on anyone.

AJI
AJI

Fulcrum wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 06:00
If he did leave, it would be a true capitulation to the zeitgeist of the current era. All political posturing, with no substance. He'd do more for the cause by sticking around and advocating for change from within the sport as an active participant. It would be difficult to completely ignore the most successful driver in the sport's history, which he seems likely to become.
Capitulation, or realigning what's really important in life..? It's about how you sell it.
He's definitely not going to be BFF's with Greta if he sticks around unless she softens her views.
Charles and Max are going to be proper impediments in the GOAT race. That's gotta be a consideration.
Also: money, fame, influence. All start to fade the minute you exit the sport, no matter how successful you were. He might reconsider were he to be involved in a major accident this year, but I wouldn't wish that potentiality on anyone.
I think there's plenty of fame for him outside of F1. Possibly more? Right now he's only a very successful F1 driver. He could be that and more.
He might also reconsider if he doesn't win the 2020 WDC... 2020 won't be the usual cakewalk and 2021 is a new aero era.

Fulcrum

AJI wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 10:50

He might also reconsider if he doesn't win the 2020 WDC... 2020 won't be the usual cakewalk and 2021 is a new aero era.
I don't think he can blame climate change for that.

AJI
AJI

Fulcrum wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 11:40
AJI wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 10:50

I don't think he can blame climate change for that.
I don't think you quite get where I'm going there...

Wass85

He will leave once Mercedes have dropped back or someone enters the team and retires him.

Just_a_fan

Wass85 wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 00:21
He will leave once Mercedes have dropped back or someone enters the team and retires him.
That'll be the former then. Your mate Bottas hasn't managed it yet...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Andres125sx

I was laughing after reading the title of the thread. Then I clicked, read it, and noticed it was serious... :wtf: :o ](*,)

So a F1 driver who travel around the world weekly with tons of material, who owned a private jet, who owns several extremelly expensive, powerful and polluting cars and bikes, who spend millions in things like gold chains... is considering to stop his career for environmental reasons??? One of the persons with a higher individual emission rate in the whole planet?

Is this world serious or I´m still asleep and this is a dream?

izzy

Andres125sx wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 08:47
I was laughing after reading the title of the thread. Then I clicked, read it, and noticed it was serious... :wtf: :o ](*,)

So a F1 driver who travel around the world weekly with tons of material, who owned a private jet, who owns several extremelly expensive, powerful and polluting cars and bikes, who spend millions in things like gold chains... is considering to stop his career for environmental reasons??? One of the persons with a higher individual emission rate in the whole planet?

He's not considering stopping his career, the OP isn't Lewis :lol:

DChemTech

I hope not. He is in a unique position that he can reach a crowd that is immune or opposed to people like Greta. By leaving F1, they may cease listening to Lewis too - he's better positioned to address them from inside. He might need to change some aspects of his lifestyle to make his advocacy more believable, but leaving F1 altogether or ceasing to use airplanes for all intents and purposes is not part of that. Wanting to improve the world does not mean ceasing to take part in it. And for many aspects of life, a suitable green alternative is simply not available. However, it does mean choosing the better alternative when it is available - and there he can improve.

Wass85

Just_a_fan wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 01:39
Wass85 wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 00:21
That'll be the former then. Your mate Bottas hasn't managed it yet...
Yes because Bottas is a great driver.....

Manoah2u

Andres125sx wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 08:47

I am growing ever more confident in having concluded that logic or common sense is no longer something that people are motivated on persuing anymore nowadays.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

AJI
AJI

Manoah2u wrote:
18 Jan 2020, 00:23

I am growing ever more confident in having concluded that logic or common sense is no longer something that people are motivated on persuing anymore nowadays.
You should go into politics

Andres125sx

AJI wrote:
18 Jan 2020, 04:42
Manoah2u wrote:
18 Jan 2020, 00:23

You should go into politics

True, but climate debate is managed very similar to politics. People get radicalized too easily, looks like people can only join extreme positions, or the world will be finished next month, or everything is false and fake and all scientists are liars

It´s a shame if you ask me :(