Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Wass85
Wass85

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Lewis would be crazy going to Ferrari, he's got the perfect setting at Mercedes.

Capharol
Capharol

izzy wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 23:23
FrukostScones wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 22:04
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... 4668430%2F

Merc continues after 2020.
with HAM.
just 'sources' isn't it but so likely. So that's it for the silly season. It was a bit of a feeble fizzle in the end, no Lewis at Ferrari or anything else especially interesting, but it does set us up for potentially an incredible season
I didn't expect anything else, the only suprise for me was the duration of the Verstappen contract

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Wass85 wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 22:56
Ask the fans, they would say different. If there's no fans there's no sport.
It's not the fans that are the problem. It's the casual watchers that are the problem. It's the same for many sports - they mess around with the sport to try to attract people who aren't that bothered other than to have something to watch because there's nothing else on at that time.

It's all moot anyway when F1 is increasingly hiding itself away behind pay-to-watch services. In the UK, F1's audience has almost totally disappeared since it went exclusively to Sky. That's a bigger issue than whether two team mates have a spat (usually fuelled by the media hyping up a nothing incident, to be honest).
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Wass85
Wass85

Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 01:04
Wass85 wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 22:56
Ask the fans, they would say different. If there's no fans there's no sport.
It's not the fans that are the problem. It's the casual watchers that are the problem. It's the same for many sports - they mess around with the sport to try to attract people who aren't that bothered other than to have something to watch because there's nothing else on at that time.

It's all moot anyway when F1 is increasingly hiding itself away behind pay-to-watch services. In the UK, F1's audience has almost totally disappeared since it went exclusively to Sky. That's a bigger issue than whether two team mates have a spat (usually fuelled by the media hyping up a nothing incident, to be honest).
They all contribute to the problem, you don't think Mercedes announcing Alonso or Verstappen will drive next to Lewis wouldn't cause excitement and attract viewers.

And like I said earlier, having two star drivers hasn't affected title results all that often over the years. Senna and Prost who were the biggest rivals of all had an unbelievable racing record when paired together.

Vasconia

Wass85 wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 23:53
Lewis would be crazy going to Ferrari, he's got the perfect setting at Mercedes.
But it would be more of the same and if he wins also this season, to win in Ferrari would be his final achievement. Anyway, I also think that he won´t leave Mercedes for Ferrari.

Wass85
Wass85

Vasconia wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 09:54
Wass85 wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 23:53
But it would be more of the same and if he wins also this season, to win in Ferrari would be his final achievement. Anyway, I also think that he won´t leave Mercedes for Ferrari.
Lewis would take more of the same every time the way it's going at Mercedes.

NathanOlder

I'm reading this morning that Toto and Mercedes are set to extend Mercedes stay in F1 according to the Italian version of Motorsport.com on this planetF1 article posted today.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/toto-wolf ... o-stay-on/
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Wass85 wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 08:40

They all contribute to the problem, you don't think Mercedes announcing Alonso or Verstappen will drive next to Lewis wouldn't cause excitement and attract viewers.
No, I don't think it would. You might get the casual viewer to have a look but then they'd flit away again to the next "new thing".
And like I said earlier, having two star drivers hasn't affected title results all that often over the years. Senna and Prost who were the biggest rivals of all had an unbelievable racing record when paired together.
Others, as well as me, have pointed out that it has caused issues.

NathanOlder

Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 12:02

Indeed it has, also how many times have alpha drivers been together and not caused issues.

The list of alpha's causing problems may not be a huge list, but it has to be bigger than the list where it hasn't caused problems.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Wass85
Wass85

Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 12:02
Wass85 wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 08:40

No, I don't think it would. You might get the casual viewer to have a look but then they'd flit away again to the next "new thing".
I think you are wrong, it would ignite interest throughout the fan base.

You are looking at all the negatives of a star pairing and not the positives though. True it may cause tension in the team especially if make they on occasions crash but you're forgetting that having one driver win and the other off the podium in lower positions hurts the team just as much points wise.

Wass85
Wass85

Mercedes have the luxury of having the best car, enough that the number 2 driver can still finish 2nd in the championship.

izzy
izzy

NathanOlder wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 11:13
I'm reading this morning that Toto and Mercedes are set to extend Mercedes stay in F1 according to the Italian version of Motorsport.com on this planetF1 article posted today.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/toto-wolf ... o-stay-on/
this was posted on the previous page, before a couple of innocents :kiss: started getting themselves fished, just sayin :P

Jambier

So:

RBR stays with Honda
VES stays with RBR

LEC stays with Ferrari

HAM and Wolff stays with Mercedes
Mercedes stays in F1

Everything continue as it is. I really hope 2021 can bring something exciting regarding cars, show, and a change in who is winning.
I've got nothing against Merc and HAM, but seeing Hamilton 8th and 9th titles for 21/22 is not interesting at all :|

Only "excitement" for 2020 is to know who will drive the second Ferrari in 2021

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

will see interesting race from start with Vettel in 2020. I am 100% confident he will screw Ferrari and Lecrec. Nothing to lose from Vettel side. Nowhere to move in 2021 either stick with Ferrari or retire so we will see same repeat of 2019 with more fun.

from Fan perspective interesting to watch.

Binotto concentrating on 2021. He is not thinking about 2020 win. He should move out from management to engineering side. He got zero management skill.

If Ferrari still cannot win in 2021 and 22, they will fire Binotto and some one will come then the life of Lecrec will be very difficult.

After ferrari who will take him? if he is not winning WDC?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Wass85 wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 12:26
You are looking at all the negatives of a star pairing and not the positives though.
That's because there aren't any positives for the team in having such a pairing. The media like it because it allows them to create a narrative around the relationship between the drivers. Some F1 watchers like it because it causes the occasional crash. Other than that, there's nothing good about it in real terms.
True it may cause tension in the team especially if make they on occasions crash but you're forgetting that having one driver win and the other off the podium in lower positions hurts the team just as much points wise.
Go ask Ferrari how the team felt when Vettel and Leclerc crashed out in Brazil, or Mercedes when Rosberg and Hamilton crashed out in Spain. Etc.

Then remember that if your two drivers take each other out whilst arguing over first place, that's 43 points the team loses in one instant. Having one driver win and the other coming third or fourth brings 40 or 37 points. So one crash out is the equivalent points loss as several races with 1st + 3rd/4th plus your opponents gain the extra points from moving up to 1st and 2nd place. If your drivers do it twice in a season, you can probably kiss the constructor title goodbye unless your car is night and day faster than everyone elses. That's the reality for the teams - these pairings can end up costing them a lot of money, both in salaries and in the cost of broken cars. And then you might lose a championship place which costs them in prize revenue.