McLaren MCL35 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PhillipM

Re: McLaren MCL35 Speculation Thread

Yes, white's a common primer colour, as it's what you can put on the thinnest to get full coverage.

KingHamilton01

PhillipM wrote:
20 Jan 2020, 20:48
Yes, white's a common primer colour, as it's what you can put on the thinnest to get full coverage.
the other interesting thing is McLaren might go down the matte paint route this season, they had an indy car(show car) with old livery in that paint.
McLaren Mercedes

_cerber1

PhillipM do you have any interesting details about the MCL35??

geraldix

First image on the new livery! 🤪
Last edited by geraldix on 21 Jan 2020, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.

Xero

It might not even be the car. It could be fabrication for the garage or motor homes, which often use white walls.

Pirro

Wild speculation:

You can notice the stripes between orange/black delimitation (same stripes present in the font for driver numbers).
What do you think about it?

Maplesoup

Xero wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 13:47
It might not even be the car. It could be fabrication for the garage or motor homes, which often use white walls.
Pretty sure all that work is outsourced.

Xero

Maplesoup wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 16:17
Xero wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 13:47
Pretty sure all that work is outsourced.
Yeah, you'd think so. I personally think the car will be a mix of 4 colours, maybe adding some white into last years trio. I keep going back to Zak's comments from November;

"Our car [livery] design, which we will won't reveal until we unveil our race car in February, it looks quite special," said Brown. "I think you'll like what the race car looks like with the various categories that BAT use on the race car. So I don't want to spoil that debut. But I will say it will look quite impactful and be very noticeable on the racetrack."
Last edited by Xero on 21 Jan 2020, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.

Xero

Pirro wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 14:56
Wild speculation:
https://www.cyclismactu.tv/photo/news/88100_mc.jpeg

You can notice the stripes between orange/black delimitation (same stripes present in the font for driver numbers).
What do you think about it?
I really like that! The rocket red really compliments the existing pallete nicely. Here's hoping! [-o<

PhillipM

_cerber1 wrote:
20 Jan 2020, 21:48
PhillipM do you have any interesting details about the MCL35??
I've had a few PM's already but I'll say the same here - I have to be careful what I say because some stuff will get people in trouble even if it doesn't really matter whether it's mentioned or not - however, the airbox setup is not what's been drawn above in that diagram.
Renault haven't even signed off on the final engine airbox design yet, they're evaluating 2 designs and it's not expected to be finalised until approx 2 weeks before testing, so you may find the upper covers change in testing slightly anyway.

_cerber1

PhillipM wrote:
21 Jan 2020, 17:14
I've had a few PM's already but I'll say the same here - I have to be careful what I say because some stuff will get people in trouble even if it doesn't really matter whether it's mentioned or not - however, the airbox setup is not what's been drawn above in that diagram.
Renault haven't even signed off on the final engine airbox design yet, they're evaluating 2 designs and it's not expected to be finalised until approx 2 weeks before testing, so you may find the upper covers change in testing slightly anyway.
Thank you for that! Any information is worth its weight in gold.

Zoom_83

Any news on the crash tests on the MCL35 ?
...I'm assuming that since there's the launch date set, the crash tests have been successful. Right?

SmallSoldier

Zoom_83 wrote:Any news on the crash tests on the MCL35 ?
...I'm assuming that since there's the launch date set, the crash tests have been successful. Right?
Nothing has been reported... But, the launch date was probably already scheduled regardless of the crash test.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pazazamadaz

I had previously suggested an A spec MCL35 after they posted some teaser photos of carbon bits with '35A' on them. Now they have this as the banner for an article about building a 2020 F1 car...

Just_a_fan

That drawing has the old, complicated, front wing...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.