McLaren MCL35 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
pazazamadaz

Re: McLaren MCL35 Speculation Thread

SmallSoldier wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 17:06
pazazamadaz wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 16:28

They are really going all in with Baby Yoda!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know right! You could say they are "obsessed".

lolol
They are trolling us hard... They know that we will all be zooming in on every picture trying to find “something” and since they won’t be revealing anything, at least they are letting us find Baby Yoda... Mclaren’s way to play “Find Waldo”?... They are really becoming the “cool” team in the grid.

So true. I already tried and the photo isn't high enough res to discern anything other than Baby Yoda lol.

SmallSoldier

M840TR wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

I'm more intrigued by the sidepods - which are the only discernable elements in the photo. They look slim.
Are the side pods there are is it just the tub with the 2 required safety crash beams? Because if it’s only the crash beams and given that Mclaren (as well as most of the grid) is favoring the low location of the upper crash structure, it would give the impression of it been narrow without the rest of the body work on it.

M840TR

SmallSoldier wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 17:20
M840TR wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

I'm more intrigued by the sidepods - which are the only discernable elements in the photo. They look slim.
Are the side pods there are is it just the tub with the 2 required safety crash beams? Because if it’s only the crash beams and given that Mclaren (as well as most of the grid) is favoring the low location of the upper crash structure, it would give the impression of it been narrow without the rest of the body work on it.

Yes. Sidepods are a part of the monocoque.

trinidefender

M840TR wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 17:44
SmallSoldier wrote:
M840TR wrote:

They most definitely are not part of the monocoque. The only thing structural inside of the sidepods are the two crash beams and any fittings and pieces that hold the radiators, ducting and bodywork on around it.

M840TR

trinidefender wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 17:53
M840TR wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 17:44
SmallSoldier wrote:

They most definitely are not part of the monocoque. The only thing structural inside of the sidepods are the two crash beams and any fittings and pieces that hold the radiators, ducting and bodywork on around it.

https://i87.servimg.com/u/f87/14/79/55/26/ai10.jpg
My bad. I guess they just add on to the monocoque later. They’re usually attached during shipping for Grands Prix.

_cerber1

90feet

f1rules wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 09:21
so according to the instagram post, black, blue, red and orange, which is pretty much this shirt, done correctly could be nice, i like the shirt

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1096/ ... 1575886071
Red and black were the colors of Bahrain Merida before they partnered with McLaren.

f1rules

Well maybe we are seing some key influence ;-)

This picture shows the front tub, all the way at the top notice, light reflection, the angled in front tub,

To my eye reminds this old key fellow

Whereas mclaren tub kept full width last year and then angled in with the nosecone
Last edited by f1rules on 24 Jan 2020, 07:09, edited 1 time in total.

charliesmithhd

Just seen this concept livery, looks great. Didn’t think I would like white and orange mix but this proved me wrong

the EDGE

charliesmithhd wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 01:05
Just seen this concept livery, looks great. Didn’t think I would like white and orange mix but this proved me wrong
https://ibb.co/MfSG2pG
It’s not as good as the current livery though...is it?

NiyolHuayra

the EDGE wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 09:47
charliesmithhd wrote:
It’s not as good as the current livery though...is it?
Agree, but the chrome orange looks nice tho.

90feet

charliesmithhd wrote:
It looks good in this photo, and the chrome orange is very cool, but running on track it would just look like a white car. I think that was the mistake they made with the MCL32 livery - it looked pretty good in some of the studio shots, but it just didn't work on track.

I also don't understand the fascination with painting the halo. If anything I think it draws more attention to the halo, whereas leaving it black lets it fade into the background. I pretty sure this is the same reason why teams don't paint the bargeboard areas, so the detail is harder to discern.

Lucky

the EDGE

I like it a lot, especially the orange Halo, looks much better than the Black McLaren use which makes it look very big & cumbersome, I’d be happy with this as the real thing

FrukostScones

charliesmithhd wrote:
it will probably look close to this, I can imagine.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.