McLaren MCL35 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Holm86

Re: McLaren MCL35 Speculation Thread

FrukostScones wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 19:22
charliesmithhd wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 01:05
Just seen this concept livery, looks great. Didn’t think I would like white and orange mix but this proved me wrong
https://ibb.co/MfSG2pG
it will probably look close to this, I can imagine.
With that much white? I personally don't think so

Ground Effect

Same here, I think it’s quite easy on the eye, I like the kiwi placement too, but I’d be surprised if Unilever/Rexona got such a premium spot. From the sponsor list on the McLaren website, I assume they’re listed in order of Commercial/Technical importance and what they’re bringing to the team. Unilever is placed after Coca Cola and before FxPro, so unlikely they’ll get that area. Surely it’ll have to go to BAT, considering they’re expanded tie up, or maybe a bigger sponsor will come in.... Amazon? :wink: 8)
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

haza

One thing I’m hoping McLaren focus on is front end downforce especially low speed in medium to high speed corners they where fairly good but loose a lot of time in low speed corners wonder if they will go for a POU suspension set up

Xero

haza wrote:
25 Jan 2020, 12:19
One thing I’m hoping McLaren focus on is front end downforce especially low speed in medium to high speed corners they where fairly good but loose a lot of time in low speed corners wonder if they will go for a POU suspension set up
I think it's a certainty that an improved front end will come, it was their main focus. They adopted a POU setup through last season, will probably see a refinement of it in 2020.

Am I right in thinking POU will be banned from 2021? Got that idea in my head for some reason.

the EDGE

Xero wrote:
25 Jan 2020, 18:46
haza wrote:
25 Jan 2020, 12:19
I think it's a certainty that an improved front end will come, it was their main focus. They adopted a POU setup through last season, will probably see a refinement of it in 2020.

Am I right in thinking POU will be banned from 2021? Got that idea in my head for some reason.
Not specifically that I am aware of, hydraulic suspension & the high wheel mounted pick-up points have both been banned for 2021, and of course suspension systems will be very different due to the 18inch wheels, as they will have to be able to be able to coupe with the loads usually absorbed by the fatter 13inch tyre

Whether all that will have an impact on the POU or not I don’t know. I’m sure someone will be able to enlighten us???

ThePapayaJaguar

There's some worry at the Ferrari thread that their car won't be great. Obviously, we should take this with a grain of salt because Ferrari could be lying. However, if they aren't lying, then I feel like McLaren could hopefully attack for P3 in a few races.

Ground Effect

ThePapayaJaguar wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 05:32
There's some worry at the Ferrari thread that their car won't be great. Obviously, we should take this with a grain of salt because Ferrari could be lying. However, if they aren't lying, then I feel like McLaren could hopefully attack for P3 in a few races.
There was speculation, or rumours from the Italian media of issues with adding downforce and not getting the desired results, saying there’s panic at Maranello. But there’s also been further rumours of deliberate leaking of such stories from same Maranello, to throw everyone of track, so hard to say what the truth is. But more relevant to the thread, I strongly doubt, even if the Ferrari isn’t going to improve, that McLaren can catch them, or any other team in the top 3 based on where they were last year. Closing the gap is the goal, being in a strong position to capitalise on errors from the top 3 to sneak onto the podium and like Zak said, being race fit. Eliminating unforced errors from pit stops, out strategising the midfield etc.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

SmallSoldier

ThePapayaJaguar wrote:There's some worry at the Ferrari thread that their car won't be great. Obviously, we should take this with a grain of salt because Ferrari could be lying. However, if they aren't lying, then I feel like McLaren could hopefully attack for P3 in a few races.
I can’t remember which was the smallest gap between Mclaren and Ferrari on a weekend last season, but the jump would have to be huge to be fighting Ferrari (assuming Ferrari doesn’t improve at from previous season)... Let’s hope that’s the case, but very unlikely

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ground Effect

SmallSoldier wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 18:44
ThePapayaJaguar wrote:There's some worry at the Ferrari thread that their car won't be great. Obviously, we should take this with a grain of salt because Ferrari could be lying. However, if they aren't lying, then I feel like McLaren could hopefully attack for P3 in a few races.
I can’t remember which was the smallest gap between Mclaren and Ferrari on a weekend last season, but the jump would have to be huge to be fighting Ferrari (assuming Ferrari doesn’t improve at from previous season)... Let’s hope that’s the case, but very unlikely

If I’m not mistaken, the smallest gap between Ferrari and McLaren was at the French Grand Prix, Leclerc, in the quicker Ferrari was 0.453 ahead of Lando.

Emag

Ground Effect wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 19:26
SmallSoldier wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 18:44

If I’m not mistaken, the smallest gap between Ferrari and McLaren was at the French Grand Prix, Leclerc, in the quicker Ferrari was 0.453 ahead of Lando.
Friendly reminder, that gap was way bigger in the race. Considering that Renault did make some significant gains in engine modes for 2019, I would the say the gap they had in the race is the true gap between the cars.

Xero

the EDGE wrote:
25 Jan 2020, 21:31
Not specifically that I am aware of, hydraulic suspension & the high wheel mounted pick-up points have both been banned for 2021, and of course suspension systems will be very different due to the 18inch wheels, as they will have to be able to be able to coupe with the loads usually absorbed by the fatter 13inch tyre

Whether all that will have an impact on the POU or not I don’t know. I’m sure someone will be able to enlighten us???
Yes, that's what I'm thinking of, the suspension mounting must be housed within the wheel hub area. Without the higher uprights it will effectively stop POU being effective.

_cerber1

Ground Effect

Thanks for this, can you confirm if the author is reliable, is he someone who’s work you’re familiar with?

_cerber1

Ground Effect wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 15:21
Thanks for this, can you confirm if the author is reliable, is he someone who’s work you’re familiar with?
No, I do not know this author. I believe that this is just his personal opinion. Perhaps he drew some conclusions based on Ivan's twitter.

pazazamadaz

Gaining .5 over winter relative to the teams in front would be awesome!