Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Wouter

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Viruzpunk wrote:
24 Jan 2020, 22:01
What Wouter said about spec 5 ( said in october) would be the spec 1 from 2020 and what Godlameroso said on the big focus on the turbo, would be the spec 1.1 who could maybe progress to an 1.5 by Melbourne? Right?
I said that the spec 5, which was already ready at the end of October but was not used, was developed further during the winter and is therefore a spec 5.XX at the moment. This is now called the spec 1 of 2020.
The spec 5.0 was already a strong improvement over the spec 4, and the spec 1 from 2020 (spec 5.XX) is therefore another improvement.
This can therefore never be a small improvement compared to the end of last year, when they were driving the spec 4.
The Power of Dreams!

Viruzpunk

Wouter wrote:
25 Jan 2020, 09:58

I said that the spec 5, which was already ready at the end of October but was not used, was developed further during the winter and is therefore a spec 5.XX at the moment. This is now called the spec 1 of 2020.
The spec 5.0 was already a strong improvement over the spec 4, and the spec 1 from 2020 (spec 5.XX) is therefore another improvement.
This can therefore never be a small improvement compared to the end of last year, when they were driving the spec 4.
Exactly. That's what I understood and wanted confirmation. Ty.

seense

Too bad there are no subtitles.

Wouter

seense wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 10:08

Thank you for this video @seense!

You have to activate subtitles and than you can choose your own language.
The Power of Dreams!

f1jcw

No, we presume spec 5 was a improvement over 4. Until it’s driven do we know, it could be a grenade.

Alexf1

Wouter wrote:
Viruzpunk wrote:
What Wouter said about spec 5 ( said in october) would be the spec 1 from 2020 and what Godlameroso said on the big focus on the turbo, would be the spec 1.1 who could maybe progress to an 1.5 by Melbourne? Right?
Come to think about it: maybe the big gain of spec5 / spec1 could also mean better laptime due to longer electrical power and/or more efficient mgu-h power instead of higher peak power

Wouter

Alexf1 wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 12:20
Wouter wrote:
Viruzpunk wrote:
Come to think about it: maybe the big gain of spec5 / spec1 could also mean better laptime due to longer electrical power and/or more efficient mgu-h power instead of higher peak power
I think it's a combination of all three, especially longer electrical power, which means better laptime.
A little more peak power is also very important for qualification.
The Power of Dreams!

Viruzpunk

I agree too. And would add the improve on driveability.. I mean if on the Verstappen onboard radios we can hear less " i m lagging"," loosing power" it would add a big step forward by itself :)

Wouter

Viruzpunk wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 17:23
I agree too. And would add the improve on driveability.. I mean if on the Verstappen onboard radios we can hear less " i m lagging"," loosing power" it would add a big step forward by itself :)
That was because the gearbox could not be adjusted to the improved performance during the year.
That is only allowed once a year. That has now been corrected.
The Power of Dreams!

ME4ME

Wouter wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 18:04
Viruzpunk wrote:
That was because the gearbox could not be adjusted to the improved performance during the year.
It's easy to shift blame to the gearbox but what actual technical explanation, logic or generally sound explanation is there to back this up? The driver making the above said complains are mainly about a temporary state or issue on the car. While there could to some extent be some protection of the gearbox going on, this would be throughout a session or a race. Not suddenly. Issues on Honda's side, mainly to do with energy management MGU-H and -K are much more likely.

Viruzpunk

My comment on onboard radios was more to make a little joke. The reasons to explain the problem are probably mixed and it s totally logical since it was a transition year. There's no surprise if settings wasn't perfectly adjusted even more when you consider expectations about Honda were more than totally satisfied.

My " bad little joke" wasn't here to re open any RB/Renault/Honda drama. Plz forget it so :wink: . ty.

GhostF1

ME4ME wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 18:42
Wouter wrote:
Viruzpunk wrote:
It's easy to shift blame to the gearbox but what actual technical explanation, logic or generally sound explanation is there to back this up? The driver making the above said complains are mainly about a temporary state or issue on the car. While there could to some extent be some protection of the gearbox going on, this would be throughout a session or a race. Not suddenly. Issues on Honda's side, mainly to do with energy management MGU-H and -K are much more likely.
Agreed. I don't think the gearbox was to blame at all, and more to do with Honda's MGU-H/Turbo management. They usually can fix the lag on the fly with software adjustments. In the case of Abu Dhabi, Honda apologised and said they lost sync with the ECU and could not make the absolute adjustments necessary and had to rely on Max changing broader PU settings to compensate.

I still think it has something to do with decoupling the MGU-H from the turbo and then recoupling on the fly (which I believe they do). Mis-timing those intervals would create a lag event, not having the electric motor drive the turbo at the exact moment required.

GhostF1

Wouter wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 10:45
seense wrote:

How, there are only Japanese captions available lol

langedweil

Wouter wrote:
Somehow (and totally unfunded) I felt RB had been a little conservative with (or maybe even misinterpreted) the gearbox ratio's before the start of 2019, and were actually surprised by what was possible with the PU and developped mappings.
As said, based on totally nothing more than a hunch really ..
HuggaWugga !

jumpingfish

GhostF1 wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 01:50
Wouter wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 10:45
seense wrote:

How, there are only Japanese captions available lol
When you turn on Japanese subtitles, there will be available Translate button under Japanese :)