General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

It worked. It was a kick in the pants for honda! They should thank him.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Bill

It's fia responsibility not to broadcast foul messages they shouldn't stoke up the flames

Capharol

Bill wrote: ↑
01 Feb 2020, 07:37
It's fia responsibility not to broadcast foul messages they shouldn't stoke up the flames
But it is what the viewers and media love to hear (and looking for)

ispano6

PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
01 Feb 2020, 05:02
Please, Alonso deserves no thanks. Honda's gains came from teaming with Toro Rosso and Franz Tost.
McLaren was a toxic environment and good riddance.

bigblue

ispano6 wrote: ↑
01 Feb 2020, 20:57
Please, Alonso deserves no thanks. Honda's gains came from teaming with Toro Rosso and Franz Tost.
Also, Honda were pretty self-motivated, they recognised their poor performance themselves (it was pretty hard to miss). Difficult stuff is difficult ! But they've worked themselves up technically and organisationally into pretty good shape now after a bit of an absence from F1.

The mystery now is who's gained what over winter. Are we into diminishing returns, or will someone find a little jump ?

ivanlesk

I could't agree with statement about Mclaren and Alonso. But everyone in team Honda tends to forget that first few years Honda was worse than Williams last season.
Both were to blame for that mess, and both got out. Now I'm happy for Honda and McLaren.

Also, Honda will work with Alonso again in Indy500, obviously they don't mind. Why do you?

ME4ME

ivanlesk wrote: ↑
01 Feb 2020, 22:58
Also, Honda will work with Alonso again in Indy500, obviously they don't mind. Why do you?
Different Honda people though.

McMika98

Sigh sigh. After 2 years people still pointing fingers. What's the point of this endless historical revision.
The aspiration is championship and if they don't deliver than mark my words there will be few Alonso 2.0. So far the only engine to not fire is Honda. Regardless they will have to take same leap as last winter if they are to catch Renault, as they are rumored to have found same orders of gain.

ispano6

The truth is that STR helped Honda overcome their hardships and hurdles using effective communication and teamwork. Nothing revisionist about that, unless you're anti-Japanese then you think anything Japanese say is revisionist.
That kind of low mentality has no place here.

I've already named the Honda staff that were crucial to Honda's turnaround. To achieve 3 wins+pole positions and 2 podiums with STR before McLaren is the reward Honda fans deserve.

Alonso's recent comments are self-serving, seeing he needs a good Honda engine in his Andretti car. He fully knows everyone on team radio heard his comments. He may think cutting ties with McLaren may pave the way to an Indy win but when you're known in Honda for insulting your employer on home turf and then go to their rival Toyota to ridealong for a win in Lemans, revisiting his GP2 comment is just opening an old wound.
If I were him I would be utmost respectful with humility. Racing in F1 and Indy500 is a privilege.

restless

Alonso is a driver and he wants to win. That's all.

Bill

Engine fire don't mean squat it's a pr stunt.the Honda pu have been on the dyno for a couple of months other than that the final pu specification will be decided on the last winter test so manufacturers usual test more than 1 spec so firing thing is immaterial.

PlatinumZealot

02 Feb 2020, 01:16
The truth is that STR helped Honda overcome their hardships and hurdles using effective communication and teamwork. Nothing revisionist about that, unless you're anti-Japanese then you think anything Japanese say is revisionist.

I've already named the Honda staff that were crucial to Honda's turnaround. To achieve 3 wins+pole positions and 2 podiums with STR before McLaren is the reward Honda fans deserve.

Alonso's recent comments are self-serving, seeing he needs a good Honda engine in his Andretti car. He fully knows everyone on team radio heard his comments. He may think cutting ties with McLaren may pave the way to an Indy win but when you're known in Honda for insulting your employer on home turf and then go to their rival Toyota to ridealong for a win in Lemans, revisiting his GP2 comment is just opening an old wound.
If I were him I would be utmost respectful with humility. Racing in F1 and Indy500 is a privilege.
I he wins with Honda and apologizes again, will that heal the wounds? haha.
Alonso is a driver and they will say theses things. The important thing is that he did not disrespect the Honda Personnel themselves. I think we must separate the work from the artist (engineers in this case), as bad engine can be made even with great effort by good people.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

godlameroso

02 Feb 2020, 18:32
02 Feb 2020, 01:16

I he wins with Honda and apologizes again, will that heal the wounds? haha.
Alonso is a driver and they will say theses things. The important thing is that he did not disrespect the Honda Personnel themselves. I think we must separate the work from the artist (engineers in this case), as bad engine can be made even with great effort by good people.
That would be like insulting a child for not being good at a sport compared to an adult. When that child becomes an adult it's very possible with practice and dedication the child can grow to be better than the adult. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

This is how I viewed Honda's development.

In 2015 the Honda engine was a young kid, no muscle, many skills left to develop, but with a decent foundation.

2016 was pre-puberty things started changing, the muscles started coming in, still lacking skills and overall undeveloped and raw.

2017 the Honda hit puberty, changed to it's final form lots of teething issues, growing pains, skills improved.

2018 Honda started hitting it's stride turning into a young adult, more skills, teething issues solved.

2019 Honda came back making huge gains over the winter, they have their workout routine, they have more skills, more knowledge, the body is fully developed(the two bases in Sakura and MK, full collaboration with RBR).

2020 Honda is now full adult, fully trained professional athlete.
Saishū kōnā

Snorked

Honda Japan have vetoed Alonso driving their engine at Indy πŸ˜†

https://racer.com/2020/02/02/honda-veto ... -500-deal/

ispano6

ivanlesk wrote: ↑
01 Feb 2020, 22:58
I could't agree with statement about Mclaren and Alonso. But everyone in team Honda tends to forget that first few years Honda was worse than Williams last season.
Both were to blame for that mess, and both got out. Now I'm happy for Honda and McLaren.

HondaF1 fans and especially staff haven't forgotten. When Honda joined, other than MB and Ferrari, everyone else was slower than Williams(Mercedes Bteam with Suzy Wolff on board) due to their own inadequacies. Boullier and Arai, both too proud and pompous in their own domains, set the tone for the relationship. Hasegawa, poor guy, had to mend relations while trying to earn some semblance of trust in order to get information from the team so that engineers back home could understand the nature of the failures, hence why we have Tanabe and Yamamoto both. Then McLaren parted ways with Boullier and Morris (smart move there, but a little too late to help Honda's cause). So that's why Tost is commended by Honda for being a wise leader with compassion to communicate and have shared understanding, taking a chance with Honda. It goes to show that wisdom and age can erase prejudice and arrogance. Tost, Marko, Tanabe, and Asaki, the old guys, the Sages if you will, they set a good example.
Last edited by ispano6 on 08 Feb 2020, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.