New Videos

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Just_a_fan

Re: New Videos

Wass85 wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 17:42
Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 16:08
Three old (2008) videos of a journalist (who also races) driving Mark Webber's old Jaguar R5 V10 at Silverstone on a very cold day. Worth reminding ourselves that F1 cars are beasts (even the current hybrid ones) and that even the "slow" guys are still doing an amazing job racing these cars in all conditions.

https://youtu.be/s7XRNJlGNCw
https://youtu.be/Sb8N6bGOvkY
https://youtu.be/f1IDXkFO7_k
If he'd had gone quicker he likely wouldn't have spun it, F1 cars detest tootling along.
:roll:

Did you actually watch it and listen to what was said? The conditions were very cold and it was his first time in an F1 car. This is a man who has raced competitively, drives hypercars sideways one-handed, whilst commentating on them, for a living. He can handle a car better than 99% of the population. And he struggled to get on top of it because he was overwhelmed by the simple performance of it in a straight line.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Wass85

Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 17:47
Wass85 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 16:08
Three old (2008) videos of a journalist (who also races) driving Mark Webber's old Jaguar R5 V10 at Silverstone on a very cold day. Worth reminding ourselves that F1 cars are beasts (even the current hybrid ones) and that even the "slow" guys are still doing an amazing job racing these cars in all conditions.

https://youtu.be/s7XRNJlGNCw
https://youtu.be/Sb8N6bGOvkY
https://youtu.be/f1IDXkFO7_k
If he'd had gone quicker he likely wouldn't have spun it, F1 cars detest tootling along.

Did you actually watch it and listen to what was said? The conditions were very cold and it was his first time in an F1 car. This is a man who has raced competitively, drives hypercars sideways one-handed, whilst commentating on them, for a living. He can handle a car better than 99% of the population. And he struggled to get on top of it because he was overwhelmed by the simple performance of it in a straight line.
Get off your high horse, yes I've seen it before. The conditions were cold yes but I suspect he was also told not to go crazy and risk binning it. You can clearly see from the onboards running at that pace you won't be getting enough heat in to the tyres.

So my point still stands, if he'd had gone quicker he likely wouldn't have spun like that. Do you actually know how F1 cars perform?

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Just_a_fan

Wass85 wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 21:54
Just_a_fan wrote:
Wass85 wrote:

Get off your high horse, yes I've seen it before. The conditions were cold yes but I suspect he was also told not to go crazy and risk binning it. You can clearly see from the onboards running at that pace you won't be getting enough heat in to the tyres.

So my point still stands, if he'd had gone quicker he likely wouldn't have spun like that. Do you actually know how F1 cars perform?
Wow, you really are a troll in every part of this forum aren't you? Enough, go away, I'm not playing your game again here.

Just_a_fan

A few brief shots of on-board and tail chasing at the Nordschleife for the 1967 German GP.

Absolutely zero safety facilities on the track. Just like driving down a country lane but at silly speeds. Stunning, scary and humbling all at once!

Just_a_fan

And highlights of the 1969 German GP at the Nordschleife. Look at the man stood trackside of the armco barrier at the start, as the cars accelerate away from the grid. Anyone gets it wrong and he's losing his legs! Madness seen through current eyes but obviously just what people did back then. You can see why it's called the Green Hell.

Wass85

Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Feb 2020, 00:06
Wass85 wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 21:54
Just_a_fan wrote:

Wow, you really are a troll in every part of this forum aren't you? Enough, go away, I'm not playing your game again here.
Wow you really are a big headed cry baby.

If you talk to folk with an attitude don't spit the dummy out when you get a reply.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

strad

@Just_a_fan…. Just try to ignore him. His score says it all.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

hurril

Ahahahah "I missed the breaking point!"

Just_a_fan

"Toto ran out of talent". Love it. Reminds me of Brundle's standard phrase "ambition exceeded adhesion". :-)

Any bets that Toto will be on the radio the first time Hamilton has an "off" in practice: "did you run out of talent Lewis?" :lol:

Morteza

dsdevries

Morteza wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 00:25
https://youtu.be/Hatav_Rdnno
Ok, I don't react like this often, but I have to say that this video is complete nonsense! He completely neglects the single most important aspect. That is EFFICIENCY! If you take efficiency into the equation, all of the arguments he brings up for investing in combustion engines instead of electric engines become pointless.

Let's start with the weight/volume thing. He only puts the total energy potential against each other. But he forget's that the average combustion engine is only able to use about 18% to 20% of that energy potential because of the lack of efficiency, while electric engines have about a 85% to 90% of electro-efficiency. They are able to use almost the entire energy potential that is stored in the batteries, so you would need more than 4 gallons of fuel to match those soda cans. Of course, with electric cars, you lose some energy potential when generating the electricity, transporting it and transforming it to storable energy, but all in al electric cars have a total efficiency of about 59% to 62%. That's about 3 times more efficient!

Now let's talk about costs. Because yes, you could spend money on improving the efficiency of combustion engines which would allow it to use more of the energy potential stored in that gallon of fuel. However, the cost of doing that is exponentially more than improving the batteries. Combustion engines are really at the end of their development as they reach the thermodynamic limits. The current F1 engines are really pieces of art with all their technologies. And yes, they are able to achieve an efficiency of almost 60%. A remarkable achievement. But the truth is, the average price of these engines is about 10.5 million dollars. His assumption that spending the same amount of money in the improvement of a combustion engine results in the same amount of efficiency gains is ridiculous! If it was that easy to improve a consumer level combustion engine by 10%, manufacturers would have done it immediately!

But actually, the entire video distracts from the real problem. That is, we shouldn't even use fossil fuels anymore! It is impossible to drive all the cars in the world on biofuel. However, it is possible to drive all the cars on electricity and generate the electricity by combining all the green energy sources we have. In that sense, I do believe that combustion engines are EOL.

That said, I still enjoy F1. And I think F1 still has it's place. Technologies invented in F1 will continue to find it's way to consumer cars to make them more efficient, safer and more enjoyable. And for sure, F1 cars are still way ahead of the electric Fe cars. A FE race is currently just some advanced go karts, driving around a miniature course that lasts about a third of a F1 race. However, it's good that FE exists. This will allow electric car's to become better so that one day F1 could switch to 100% electric as well. And it allows F1 to stop putting such enormous amount of money in developing such immensely complex combustion engines (MGU-H) and put it in other areas that do have a future.

bdr529

Considering the speed at the start of this crash , it has a very slow ending and seems to be a soft landing