F1 2020 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Capharol

Re: F1 2020 Pre-Season Testing Thread

i put the pic here because no official topic has been made yet
but here are the starting times of the GP's in 2020

MtthsMlw

All 6 days of testing will be shown on F1TV Pro, Sky F1 UK and Sky F1 Italia.
Full live timing will be on F1 TV.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... svcnw.html

Wass85

We just have to remind ourselves that the fastest car in testing whether that be on long or short runs won't necessarily be fastest come Melbourne.

the EDGE

MtthsMlw wrote:
06 Feb 2020, 19:16

TBH for me watching testing gets very boring after the first day, I’m much more into the live timing they promised, at least then you get a picture of what teams are up to, especially if they include tyre data

I hope they liven the show up with more interviews, experts & analysis of the teams long runs etc. rather than just focusing on headline times and endless mundane small talk you normally get

If they try hard I’m sure Sky can entertain us for the 6 days, but I fear not

izzy

the EDGE wrote:
06 Feb 2020, 21:44
TBH for me watching testing gets very boring after the first day, I’m much more into the live timing they promised, at least then you get a picture of what teams are up to, especially if they include tyre data

I hope they liven the show up with more interviews, experts & analysis of the teams long runs etc. rather than just focusing on headline times and endless mundane small talk you normally get

yes it's best just as background isn't it, and then as you say we have to hope for some stint times, and then not really believe even them, although generally the worst cars do end up being the worst

MtthsMlw

the EDGE wrote:
MtthsMlw wrote:

Meanwhile I took a day off work to watch all day :lol:

the EDGE

MtthsMlw wrote:
06 Feb 2020, 22:56
the EDGE wrote:
MtthsMlw wrote:

Meanwhile I took a day off work to watch all day :lol:
Years ago when it was in January I took the whole week off, and it wasn’t even on tv then!

I said it gets a bit boring... I didn’t say I wasn’t going watch it, like everyone here, I’m an addict too :lol:

Just_a_fan

Back when they still did testing days at Silverstone, I used to pop over for a couple of hours to get my fix. Sadly, can't do that anymore.

If it's streamed somewhere I might stick it on in a window on one of my screens whilst working.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

godlameroso

Wass85 wrote:
06 Feb 2020, 19:49
We just have to remind ourselves that the fastest car in testing whether that be on long or short runs won't necessarily be fastest come Melbourne.
Mercedes already showed their hand, their race pace and Bottas 1:15.4 in qualifying is the benchmark. If teams can't beat that then Mercedes could just run their 2019 car and walk away with the championship again. And no way Mercedes didn't develop the car for 2020.
Saishū kōnā

Marti_EF3

I will be on track 26,27 and 28 February all day. So feel free to ask if you want some videos, or anything. If I can, I'll go the first week at the afternoon session, but not sure. Usually I'm on the 3rd sector, where you can see how they handle 8)

Morteza

Confirmed testing line-ups so far
Last edited by Morteza on 18 Feb 2020, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

the EDGE

Please correct me if I’m wrong....

But isn’t this the first time in recent history that the teams will drive to the same technical rules with the same tyres as the previous year?

Should make for excellent performance comparison, especially as the weather seems to be looking the same as last year too

ME4ME

With so little change in regulations and tyres for this season, and cars generally converging conceptually, I wonder if we'll see more teams struggle with overheating issues this year as a result of being on-edge cooling-wise. I expect a lot of teams to go the Mercedes philosophy and tune the cooling package to be optimal in normal reasonably-cool conditions so that it fits the majority of events. Thereby taking a hit at hot or high altitude races. I guess most will figure that they've no choice as any over-capacity will be a major set back and can mean a drop of multiple grid spots. This was of course always the case, but most likely especially so this year with a more competitive grid. The result could be that some good cars could suddenly struggle massively if conditions turn to their disadvantage, such as Mercedes at Austria in 2019 etc.
Unpredictability. Bernie would approve.

the EDGE

So far, the teams I am aware of who have had their ‘film day’ shakedown are:-

Merc
Redbull
McLaren
Alfa Romeo
Alpha tauri

Anyone else find it strange Ferrari have not done so yet? Or did I just miss it?

Zynerji

the EDGE wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 21:49
So far, the teams I am aware of who have had their ‘film day’ shakedown are:-

Merc
Redbull
McLaren
Alfa Romeo
Alpha tauri

Anyone else find it strange Ferrari have not done so yet? Or did I just miss it?
Still have Monday and Tuesday to do so before testing.