Mercedes W11 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Morteza

Re: Mercedes W11 Speculation Thread

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

zibby43

OO7 wrote:
06 Feb 2020, 18:24
SiLo wrote:
06 Feb 2020, 18:12
Hard to tell to be honest because the cars are so big these days. His hands look quite large compared to side of the nose overall.
I agree, the nose looks pretty similar to last years.
Also agreed. Looks the same size as last year.

I think we tend to forget how massive the cars are now, including the huge jump in size with 2019 FWs.

RB mechanic holding a FW, just to give a better indication of scale.

Holm86

And the tip of the nose last year was also pretty wide

Just_a_fan

That looks very different to last year's nose tip. The sides are parallel where last year's cut back inwards where the cape joined. Maybe the cape has been removed from the car for this year.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SiLo

Maybe we arent looking at it right, maybe that more rounded end of the nose has been shrunk to match the width of the rest of the nose further up from last year.
Felipe Baby!

Holm86

A better look
It does look wider

NathanOlder

Any idea how wide last years nose was ? The start of that clip, the tape measure looks like its being used to mark the center of the nose and looks to be about 110mm so would be about 220mm wide in total ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

De Jokke

Atleast we already have a sexy nose! :D
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

LM10

I’m sure the Mercedes will look completely different to last year’s car and it will be the only car on the grid with a big concept change.
They probably came to the conclusion that with last year’s concept there was no significant performance gain possible anymore. There is no other explanation for such radical changes with just one season remaining before we witness major regulation changes.

Holm86

LM10 wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 13:21
I’m sure the Mercedes will look completely different to last year’s car and it will be the only car on the grid with a big concept change.
They probably came to the conclusion that with last year’s concept there was no significant performance gain possible anymore. There is no other explanation for such radical changes with just one season remaining before we witness major regulation changes.
I agree, Mercedes concept was very well developed, and im sure they have hit a development wall with that concept.

GPR ~A

It appears that the round shape of the nose is gone.

Just_a_fan

They did state that they'd gone for a "downforce at all costs" approach last year. Perhaps they have pulled back a bit on that which allows/requires them to change the design a bit.

In a few short days we'll know... =D>
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SiLo

I think the changes won't be that big, the biggest one probably the movement of the crash structure in the sidepod, but it won't change the sidepod shape a great deal.
Felipe Baby!

wesley123

LM10 wrote:
The 2019 car was already quite a big departure.

The development wall isn't all that sure either; they essentially dropped development halfway the season because they were that far ahead.

I don't get why people are assuming radical design changes. The sidepod is a very logical development that can carry over to the next season.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Holm86

wesley123 wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 15:22
LM10 wrote:
The 2019 car was already quite a big departure.

The development wall isn't all that sure either; they essentially dropped development halfway the season because they were that far ahead.

I don't get why people are assuming radical design changes. The sidepod is a very logical development that can carry over to the next season.
I don't agree, the philosophy of the W09 and W10 was very similar, of course the W10 was much more evolved and tightly trimmed.

Alone the fact that the W11 will have a totally different sidepod philosophy, means that this is not just an evolutuion.