Mercedes W11 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
NathanOlder

Re: Mercedes W11 Speculation Thread

LM10 wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 02:29
I wonder, if there will be any similar voices regarding Mercedes' sudden power jump next season.
Probably will be, but if you get 5 ot 6 races running the PU that may be not quite legal and then just get told to stop doing it. It makes it well worth doing.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

MtthsMlw

izzy

Mudflap wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 01:52
Holm86 wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 01:44
Hmm... after the 2019 season Mercedes admitted that their cooling system was not efficient enough to get the full potential out of the engine, so to run it even smaller seems weird
I think it will be a more efficient system. On top of that, the PU heat rejection is always reducing.
yes and another thanks for the info! with a constant fuel flow a step up in power can only mean a step down in heat rejection can't it. That thing about the cooling system possibly not being ready, tho? How can that be? The whole car, i thought, would've been designed for that particular cooling system

63l8qrrfy6

Another thing I forgot to share was that last year it was rumoured INEOS could have replaced Petronas as a title sponsor.

Obviously we now know that they are just another 'side sponsor' but it is understood that Mercedes are generally dissatisfied with the rate at which Petronas develop fuels and lubricants.

F1Krof

Ze frront ving :P

TBH, looks like one of the flaps from the first iteration's of W10 with inwardly curved vertical end-plates.

Wroom wroom

OO7
OO7

Mudflap wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 13:06
Another thing I forgot to share was that last year it was rumoured INEOS could have replaced Petronas as a title sponsor.

Obviously we now know that they are just another 'side sponsor' but it is understood that Mercedes are generally dissatisfied with the rate at which Petronas develop fuels and lubricants.
That's very interesting Mudflap. I thought about Petronas' development of lubricants early last year compared to others. Mercedes and Petronas have cooperated on a number of promotional videos together expounding on their relationship, however I don't recall hearing much (rumours or team statements) about new develops unlike other lubricant suppliers for other teams. That's not to say they don't however.
Last edited by OO7 on 08 Feb 2020, 14:19, edited 2 times in total.

RonDennis

OO7 wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 13:30
Mudflap wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 13:06

That's very interesting Mudflap. I thought about Petronas' development of lubricants early last year compared to others. Mercedes and Petronas have cooperated on a number of promotional videos together expounding their relationship, however I don't recall hearing much (rumours or team statements) about new develops unlike other lubricant suppliers for other teams. That' not to say they don't however.
He's just making stuff up, don't believe anything of what get's posted here unless it comes from a reliable source.

I always love it how these comments appear right after Mercedes said they had to take some hurdles on the engine side, that they aiming to improve cooling on the 2020 car, that they started this car in 2018 and the rumors that they might consider their future in F1.

wesley123

LM10 wrote:
Mudflap wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 23:55
Decided to post some updates here rather than the Merc PU thread:

-Car mechanical design for 2021 is well underway.

-Cooling system for 2020 will see a massive revamp, expected to be even smaller than last year's!! Not clear if it will be ready in time for Melbourne.

-Engine has seen the largest bump in power over a winter since the start of the hybrid era, unfortunately reliability has also been at an all time low for these engines. Early spec 2 is on the cards if the problems can't be solved in time.

-Several team leaders in Brixworth have recently left. Unclear what is going on.
"Largest bump in power over a winter since the start of the hybrid era.." - How many times have we heard from other teams (including Mercedes) that Ferrari's power advantage was absurd and could not have been done legally? I wonder, if there will be any similar voices regarding Mercedes' sudden power jump next season.
In the case of Mercedes they have a pretty solid argument; cooling. If it is to be believed their PUs were hampered by the cooling. They'd be able to extract more performance if their cooling issues would be resolved, especially under race conditions.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

LM10

wesley123 wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 14:17
LM10 wrote:
Mudflap wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 23:55
Decided to post some updates here rather than the Merc PU thread:

-Car mechanical design for 2021 is well underway.

-Cooling system for 2020 will see a massive revamp, expected to be even smaller than last year's!! Not clear if it will be ready in time for Melbourne.

-Engine has seen the largest bump in power over a winter since the start of the hybrid era, unfortunately reliability has also been at an all time low for these engines. Early spec 2 is on the cards if the problems can't be solved in time.

-Several team leaders in Brixworth have recently left. Unclear what is going on.
"Largest bump in power over a winter since the start of the hybrid era.." - How many times have we heard from other teams (including Mercedes) that Ferrari's power advantage was absurd and could not have been done legally? I wonder, if there will be any similar voices regarding Mercedes' sudden power jump next season.
In the case of Mercedes they have a pretty solid argument; cooling. If it is to be believed their PUs were hampered by the cooling. They'd be able to extract more performance if their cooling issues would be resolved, especially under race conditions.
This argument would only count for last year, but the suggestion is that the performance jump will be the biggest since 2014. That would be really huge because it would mean an even more significant performance gain than in the beginning of the PU era.
What’s more, I think that they were hampered by cooling issues in the race, but peak performance for one lap in qualifying wasn’t affected.

Bill

The biggest performance gains since 2014 with respect to Mercedes power unit is a theme song that gets played every year before winter testing starts. Such performances gains are impossible the rules are just too mature for that. Their big gain was in 2015 since then it has been small bit there and there.

NathanOlder

Im thinking the jump in performance could be big as it could be 2 years worth almost. If last year the power units had to be restricted because of the cooling issues they couldn't sort all year long, would mean they never gained any performance in PU from 18 to 19.

Just a reason I can think we could see a bigger jump than usual.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Bill

According to Mercedes they got the the cooling calculation wrong last year nothing about 2018 we got the info in Austria. The fix was with the package they brought in Germany.

ajprice

Another preview shot

HungarianRacer

ajprice wrote:
09 Feb 2020, 12:13
Another preview shot

https://scontent-lhr8-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5EB66D25
Extremely narrow sidepod, "Red Bull-esque" sculpting.

Just_a_fan

Interesting little indent along the surface.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.