Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Rodak wrote:
09 Feb 2020, 03:05
Recent studies suggest that soot radiation is not the major cause of heat loss by radiation but molecular radiation.
What are you talking about?
The topic was combustion chamber heat loss and if radiation is significant.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Jaisonas

Snorked wrote:
09 Feb 2020, 15:26
RA620H Fire up 😍

Sounding extra nice

lio007

Good overview on Honda's reliability improvements:
(you can clearly see the increase in components when they opted for the split turbo in 2017, but from then on, they made some good steps)

etusch

lio007 wrote:
09 Feb 2020, 17:12
Good overview on Honda's reliability improvements:
(you can clearly see the increase in components when they opted for the split turbo in 2017, but from then on, they made some good steps)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EQLZ7p5X0AA ... name=large
From first year of come back they have ability supply 2 team with 12 ice. :lol:
Thats very good that verstappen is less component user and also he was to one pushed harder all along the season.
This season they are aiming 3 pu finish.

ME4ME

Helmut Marko has hinted that they initially plan with a penalty-free season at Red Bull. But consider Alpha Tauri; even if they'll use an additional set of elements compared to Red Bull for strategic developmental purposes, that will be a major reduction in penalties over the last two years. Maybe sufficienty so that it can make the difference in the final WCC standings.

saviour stivala

ME4ME wrote:
09 Feb 2020, 18:30
Helmut Marko has hinted that they initially plan with a penalty-free season at Red Bull. But consider Alpha Tauri; even if they'll use an additional set of elements compared to Red Bull for strategic developmental purposes, that will be a major reduction in penalties over the last two years. Maybe sufficienty so that it can make the difference in the final WCC standings.
“for strategic development proposes” so Honda is supplying power units to two teams (four cars). Does the rules allow the use of different specification of any one of the six power unit components by any of one of the four cars?

Sieper

I believe so, the rule shave been sharpened (two season's ago if I remember correctly) in so far that IF you have an engine technically or by software capable of something then all teams that use that engine must be allowed to have the same/full benefits. So what is not allowed is depriving customer teams of potential benefit. That was the spirit of the rule.

If you have a newer spec capable of more /other new things then allowing the customer team to already use/try that is not outlawed. Although you could see guinea pig testing as not allowing the customer team the full benefit of the dependable main team engine.

I believe the rule is more (current real customer teams) to protect McLaren from being shafted by Renault and Williams (maybe even racing point) by Mercedes. All other customer teams are more junior teams who won't complain anyway. Now, not complaining does not make it rule adherence. But in the spirit of what the rule was aimed at I don't think it will be an issue even if allowing teams to try out the newer engine (more power etc.) would be against the rule.

Big Tea

Sieper wrote:
11 Feb 2020, 14:18
I believe so, the rule shave been sharpened (two season's ago if I remember correctly) in so far that IF you have an engine technically or by software capable of something then all teams that use that engine must be allowed to have the same/full benefits. So what is not allowed is depriving customer teams of potential benefit. That was the spirit of the rule.

If you have a newer spec capable of more /other new things then allowing the customer team to already use/try that is not outlawed. Although you could see guinea pig testing as not allowing the customer team the full benefit of the dependable main team engine.

I believe the rule is more (current real customer teams) to protect McLaren from being shafted by Renault and Williams (maybe even racing point) by Mercedes. All other customer teams are more junior teams who won't complain anyway. Now, not complaining does not make it rule adherence. But in the spirit of what the rule was aimed at I don't think it will be an issue even if allowing teams to try out the newer engine (more power etc.) would be against the rule.
I think the 'magic word' is available to, not must all run the same spec.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Sieper

:D Exactly, one word was Better to explain then my whole story.

stevesingo

And of course, with the strings of both teams being pulled by the same person (Helmut Marko), if an upgraded PU is "available" for both which has risk in it's use, the junior team can "choose" to take that risk without the accusation that the senior team has used the junior team as an R&D vehicle.

saviour stivala

stevesingo wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 10:12
And of course, with the strings of both teams being pulled by the same person (Helmut Marko), if an upgraded PU is "available" for both which has risk in it's use, the junior team can "choose" to take that risk without the accusation that the senior team has used the junior team as an R&D vehicle.
Very well with the spirits of the rules that. If an upgraded PU is available and is used, me thinks that will be regarded as a new specification PU to the one it replaces.

langedweil

<deleted>
Last edited by langedweil on 16 Feb 2020, 05:14, edited 1 time in total.
HuggaWugga !

langedweil

<deleted>
Last edited by langedweil on 16 Feb 2020, 05:13, edited 1 time in total.
HuggaWugga !

langedweil

Big Tea wrote:
11 Feb 2020, 19:10
Sieper wrote:
11 Feb 2020, 14:18

I think the 'magic word' is available to, not must all run the same spec.
Yeah, well look at RB in their last year with Renault; the spec-3 had more power, but was not reliable enough for Renault (didnt use it) where RB took any HP available .. even it would blow.
So it is indeed about that any new spec Should be available to all customer teams, but there's no obligation to use it. If you want 12 spec-1's, that's your decision as a team.
HuggaWugga !

Zynerji

I still think the 200 IQ play is 4 engines.

Have 3 scheduled spec upgrades, take an easy penalty, and if the championship is tight, the others will have to take a 4th just to not lose the last 3 or so races due to HP deficits.

By having that strategy from the beginning, your 4th engine is upgraded, but the other teams reacting will probably just take a new spec3.