Mercedes W11 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
F1Krof

Re: Mercedes W11 Speculation Thread

Holm86 wrote:
10 Feb 2020, 15:08
jjn9128 wrote:
10 Feb 2020, 15:01
It's the W08 actually. :lol:
Yes, think you're right :lol:

So its actually a really old lady, it's kinda like dressing your grandma up with some lipstick for valentines :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Wroom wroom

OO7
OO7

PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 Feb 2020, 16:42
I'm actually okay with the burgundy, the ugliness are those ugly solid black and turquoise stripes!
Just plain butt ugly! They will take a few race wins to grow on me.
I agree.

SiLo

The livery might work better on the actual 2020 car depending on it's shape. I'll wait until Australia to reserve judgement I think.
Felipe Baby!

Capharol

guys don't expct to much of the presentations of the teams, they just developed the 2019 car.

if there was ever a year in which the car revealing was unimportant... its this year

OO7
OO7

Capharol wrote:
10 Feb 2020, 17:11
guys don't expct to much of the presentations of the teams, they just developed the 2019 car.

if there was ever a year in which the car revealing was unimportant... its this year
There hasn't been a significant change since 2017 and I think the reveal (this Friday) will be just as significant as it was in 2018.

Spacepace

jjn9128 wrote:
10 Feb 2020, 16:27
TheFluffy wrote:
10 Feb 2020, 15:53
Could the front wing on display be the actual one for W11? I do not remember the one in W10 having that sudden elevation towards the end of the front endplate, it was more gradual. Maybe I'm wrong...
It's a show car - it probably travels the world purporting to be the 2019 car (the autosport show or sponsor events) and will continue to do so as the 2020 car. The front wing is not a "real" front wing. It might not even be carbon, could be high density foam or fibreglass.
I think you are spot on. The red is the only thing that probably stays as far as color scheme. That doesn't look that nice either though to be honest. Truly an ugly looking car.

LM10

I bet Mercedes wanted to see the reaction of the people first. Now, they still have time to change this utterly ugly livery.

ajprice

I think there could be something going on with the airbox when the W11 does show. The shape of the Ineos red section doesn't fit this livery show car, a bit like the W01 livery show car was a repainted Brawn with the black streak on the engine cover that looked like it was in an odd place, the early spec W01 had a similar black streak, then later in the year the updated W01 turned up with the split airbox and roll fin, with the black streak matching up to the airbox position.

zibby43

It looks better from this angle.

That said, some things that would make it better, instantly:

1) Soften up the lines on the Petronas stripe (it had a soft, glowing quality last year).

2) Take the black accents off the front wing flaps.

3) Just make the INEOS logo red; no background behind it.

bosyber

zibby43 wrote:
10 Feb 2020, 22:07

1) Soften up the lines on the Petronas stripe (it had a soft, glowing quality last year).

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EQcC8NuWAAM ... ame=medium
That latter, indeed, though perhaps than the issue is: why use the burgundy (which is the sponsor colour) and then red for the Tommy Hillfiger logo as well as the Lauda star etc ...
I do think that the saturated, flat colour turquoise is probably the best way to go to match that burgundy, 'electric' blue streak would be even less fitting. And I still think the stars do not really match those 'bold' lines of colour (and are less subtle, like texture as it was on the 2019 car).

Just_a_fan

Let's wait to see what the livery looks like on the actual 2020 car. It may be that the design has been optimised for that car's actual physical size and shape.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

zibby43

bosyber wrote:
10 Feb 2020, 22:41
zibby43 wrote:
10 Feb 2020, 22:07

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EQcC8NuWAAM ... ame=medium
That latter, indeed, though perhaps than the issue is: why use the burgundy (which is the sponsor colour) and then red for the Tommy Hillfiger logo as well as the Lauda star etc ...
I do think that the saturated, flat colour turquoise is probably the best way to go to match that burgundy, 'electric' blue streak would be even less fitting. And I still think the stars do not really match those 'bold' lines of colour (and are less subtle, like texture as it was on the 2019 car).
Yep. There's something I just can't quite put my finger on. Some of it is undoubtedly the lighting, but the entire scheme looks less complex in terms of depth, subtlety, etc.

zibby43

Just_a_fan wrote:
10 Feb 2020, 23:08
Let's wait to see what the livery looks like on the actual 2020 car. It may be that the design has been optimised for that car's actual physical size and shape.
I've had that same thought. This could be a significant factor.

I've seen Mercedes and other teams "retrofit" contemporary liveries to older cars and sometimes, it doesn't work out for that very reason you mentioned.

djones

The more I look at it I don't think anything is out of place or shape.

Sure the red looks a bit daft, but Ineos are paying them 20m a year or something for their name on the car. For that money, you would want to keep your corporate colours and have it in a prominent place.

The rest of the design is almost the same as last year and we know that worked well.

torpor

Red is not the corporate color of INEOS. When you look at their websites you see that they use dark blue and orange. I don‘t understand why they decided to use a red background for their Signet on the Mercedes.