Zandvoort

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Wouter

Re: Zandvoort

Yesterday posted on Youtube.

The Power of Dreams!

Just_a_fan

Can't help thinking this is going to be another Hungaroring. One overtake possibility at the end of the start/finish straight, the rest of the lap is going to be processional stuff.

The elevation changes look like it should be a fun track to drive for the drivers, requiring concentration to ensure lines are spot on in to blind corners etc.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Sieper

Could be, we will see. I actually found Hungary quite tense last year.

El Scorchio

The last corner going onto the start/finish straight could provide some good overtaking opportunities. Some bits are painfully narrow.
I wonder how the Dutch fans will react if Verstappen doesn't win. Hopefully with respect for the actual winner.

Brake Horse Power

We will probably crusify any other winner 😂

El Scorchio

I'm sure as long as it's good natured it'll be fine :)
I expect the atmosphere will be fantastic though. Orange everywhere!

toraabe

2021. Overtakes will be much easier

Capharol

Just_a_fan wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 14:11
Can't help thinking this is going to be another Hungaroring. One overtake possibility at the end of the start/finish straight, the rest of the lap is going to be processional stuff.

The elevation changes look like it should be a fun track to drive for the drivers, requiring concentration to ensure lines are spot on in to blind corners etc.
you mean like Monaco, oh wait it is even worse at Monaco
but to be honest, there are several tracks where you have little opportunity to overtake, so not much of a difference to those tracks

Edit: i even think after the Hugenholzbocht you can overtake aswell because of the long (almost) straight till Scheivlak

Just_a_fan

Capharol wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 17:03
Just_a_fan wrote:

but to be honest, there are several tracks where you have little opportunity to overtake, so not much of a difference to those tracks

Edit: i even think after the Hugenholzbocht you can overtake aswell because of the long (almost) straight till Scheivlak
I'd take Monaco off the calendar. I've been quite vocal in my opposition to it as a realistic race for F1 cars. Have it as a show, by all means, but not as part of the title series.

The elevation change along with the very-single-line feel of the curves after Hugenholzbocht on that video (and others seen around the place) suggest that it won't present an opportunity. There's just not enough time in that sequence of bends to get a run on someone ahead.

Just_a_fan

toraabe wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 17:00
2021. Overtakes will be much easier
No guarantee of that, at all. The rules aren't promising much easier overtaking, they're intended to allow closer running. The track still has to facilitate overtakes. It's not going to be a case that every track will be awash with overtaking - it's just not going to be that way.

Capharol

Just_a_fan wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 20:11
Capharol wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

I'd take Monaco off the calendar. I've been quite vocal in my opposition to it as a realistic race for F1 cars. Have it as a show, by all means, but not as part of the title series.

The elevation change along with the very-single-line feel of the curves after Hugenholzbocht on that video (and others seen around the place) suggest that it won't present an opportunity. There's just not enough time in that sequence of bends to get a run on someone ahead.
we will see in a few months 😉

Juzh

Capharol wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 20:47
Just_a_fan wrote:
Capharol wrote:

Why so negative? Hungaroring's main straight is ~750m, Suzuka is ~920m and zandvoort's is ~1km. And in zandvoort exit speed from second to last corner is quite high already, which is the oposite of those two tracks. High exit speed means cars will hit their drag limit (or at least gettint close to it) earlier in the main straight , allowing following car to start gaining sooner.
Slow corner exits need absurdly long straight in order to recover ground lost during the inital acceleration phase.

I'm willing to bet overtaking will not be a problem here, even if it's only going to happen on the main straight, but that's the case for most tracks anyway.

Capharol

Juzh wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 00:14
Capharol wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 20:47
Just_a_fan wrote:

Why so negative? Hungaroring's main straight is ~750m, Suzuka is ~920m and zandvoort's is ~1km. And in zandvoort exit speed from second to last corner is quite high already, which is the oposite of those two tracks. High exit speed means cars will hit their drag limit (or at least gettint close to it) earlier in the main straight , allowing following car to start gaining sooner.
Slow corner exits need absurdly long straight in order to recover ground lost during the inital acceleration phase.

I'm willing to bet overtaking will not be a problem here, even if it's only going to happen on the main straight, but that's the case for most tracks anyway.
Exactly what I wanted to say but why debatte/discuss with others when they made up their mind.

Capharol

The Grand Prix of the Netherlands on Circuit Zandvoort can take place definitively, at least if it is up to the municipality of Zandvoort. The municipality has issued the required event permit. Circuit Zandvoort now only needs to get a Grade One license from the FIA, although that is normally a formality.