Mercedes W11

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Just_a_fan

Re: Mercedes W11

I think Mercedes will run the car we see today in testing. They'll probably bolt on a new nose on the last day to check the effect on the car's aero performance - does it match what the CFD and tunnel predict? Then in Oz they'll turn up with something else as well, knowing that the design tools are matched by the on-track results in testing. Most the test sessions will be reliability and aero-mapping at given speeds, tyre life modelling, that sort of thing. I doubt they'll be setting the timing screens alight with fastest laps.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

zibby43

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 12:23
I think Mercedes will run the car we see today in testing. They'll probably bolt on a new nose on the last day to check the effect on the car's aero performance - does it match what the CFD and tunnel predict? Then in Oz they'll turn up with something else as well, knowing that the design tools are matched by the on-track results in testing. Most the test sessions will be reliability and aero-mapping at given speeds, tyre life modelling, that sort of thing. I doubt they'll be setting the timing screens alight with fastest laps.
Agreed. Mileage will be even more important with 2 less days this year.

Th most important changes always lie under the skin.

Holm86

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 12:23
Especially after the ban of the garage screens, they will not show their most advanced stuff during testing

izzy

zibby43 wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 11:11
An interesting comparison shot:

https://i.imgur.com/DR7Paz7.jpg
Credit: @Gianludale27
god they are so similar, just tiny differences, and then on top of that they're going to evolve even more towards each other probably, during the year. And the photos are ever so slightly different perspective each time so it's hard to be sure

Reliability is going to be big, i suspect, this year, now they've all crammed everything in to the last cubic millimetre, toyed around with coolants and everything, and it'll be so close on performance one failure could be the difference in the end

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

On track
Last edited by Morteza on 14 Feb 2020, 13:07, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

F1NAC

Poor Petronas Logo. Looks like someone really big sat at that portion of a car :D

Morteza

James Allison on W11
James Allison wrote:“The regulations stayed largely the same for the new year, so for us it was all about trying to make sure that we don’t run out of development steam on a package that worked pretty well for us last year,” said James. “We wanted to change aspects of the concept of the car – aspects that would be completely impossible to change within a season – to give us a more fertile platform for the new season. We tried to make a few well-chosen architectural changes to keep the development slope strong even though the regulations are now a little bit longer in the tooth.”

In addition to many detail changes and smaller improvements, the team has introduced three larger changes – one at the front, one at the middle and one at the back of the car.

“At the front we have accepted more structural complexity around the uprights and wheel rims in order to provide a higher performance assembly overall,” said James. “In the middle of the car we have followed the pitlane trend by moving our upper side impact tube to the lower position and banking the aerodynamic gain that comes with this layout. At the rear of the car we have gone for an adventurous suspension layout in order to free up aerodynamic development opportunity. All three investments were improvements in their own right, but their real effect is to mobilize a raft of secondary aerodynamic gains both during the winter and, we hope, across the season to come.”

In 2019, the team brought a significant upgrade to the car after the first week of testing that changed the look of the Melbourne car quite significantly compared to the launch car. This year, the race trim will be much closer to the car that is running at Silverstone today.

“We will still have upgrades for Melbourne that will come in the second week of testing, but the ‘entire new car’ approach of 2019 won’t feature,” said James. “Last year, the regulations were changed quite significantly, and they were decided quite late in the year. Under those circumstances, doing a launch car and a week two car gave us the chance to build the maximum amount of learning into our Melbourne car. With the regulations being more mature this year and with the opening stab of the 2020 development already being at the same level as the finish of last year’s car, repeating last year’s approach would not make sense.”

AMG.Tzan

Wow...although the radiator opening seems big from the front, you then have a look from side-rear view and realize there is no sidepod at all!

Looks even smaller than Red Bull's and Ferrari's sidepods!

But again other than the sidepods everything else is from last year's car!

Wondering what Mercedes may bring in the second Barcelona test! :shock:
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Giblet

>But again other than the sidepods everything else is from last year's car!

You're not looking very closely friend.

There are massive differences in the barge board area and floor. The only thing the same is the nose and front wing.

James Allison said:

In 2019, the team brought a significant upgrade to the car after the first week of testing that changed the look of the Melbourne car quite significantly compared to the launch car. This year, the race trim will be much closer to the car that is running at Silverstone today.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

HungarianRacer

AMG.Tzan wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 13:12
Wow...although the radiator opening seems big from the front, you then have a look from side-rear view and realize there is no sidepod at all!

Looks even smaller than Red Bull's and Ferrari's sidepods!

But again other than the sidepods everything else is from last year's car!

Wondering what Mercedes may bring in the second Barcelona test! :shock:
Yep, one can imagine the mass-flow towards the floor and "coke bottle" from the undercut and that massive indentation on the top of the sidepod.

OO7
OO7

Giblet wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 13:25
>But again other than the sidepods everything else is from last year's car!

You're not looking very closely friend.

There are massive differences in the barge board area and floor. The only thing the same is the nose and front wing.
The current W11 bargeboard area and front wing, look very similar to the configuration Mercedes ran on the W10 at the back end of 2019.

Morteza

Morteza

Via @thomasmaheronf1
Last edited by Morteza on 14 Feb 2020, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.

Holm86

Were Allison the one who came up with the high sidepod approach at Ferrari when he was there??
He left in the middle of 2016, but by then most of the design concept of the SF70 must have been done?