Mercedes W11

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Thunder

Re: Mercedes W11

Some Off Topic Posts have been moved to the Team Thread.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

OO7
OO7

Seanspeed

kimetic wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 14:37
“We will still have upgrades for Melbourne that will come in the second week of testing, but the ‘entire new car’ approach of 2019 won’t feature,” said James. “Last year, the regulations were changed quite significantly, and they were decided quite late in the year. Under those circumstances, doing a launch car and a week two car gave us the chance to build the maximum amount of learning into our Melbourne car. With the regulations being more mature this year and with the opening stab of the 2020 development already being at the same level as the finish of last year’s car, repeating last year’s approach would not make sense.”
As usual making perfect sense. And just as it looks, it's been refinement, refinement, refinement. Going to be a lot faster in a straight line I'm betting.
Well they said they are achieving similar levels of drag as last year, so probably not. They're definitely still in the same thinking as last year in terms of not going super low drag(ala Ferrari) in favor of higher performance in corners.

LM10

Seanspeed wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 15:01
kimetic wrote:
“We will still have upgrades for Melbourne that will come in the second week of testing, but the ‘entire new car’ approach of 2019 won’t feature,” said James. “Last year, the regulations were changed quite significantly, and they were decided quite late in the year. Under those circumstances, doing a launch car and a week two car gave us the chance to build the maximum amount of learning into our Melbourne car. With the regulations being more mature this year and with the opening stab of the 2020 development already being at the same level as the finish of last year’s car, repeating last year’s approach would not make sense.”
As usual making perfect sense. And just as it looks, it's been refinement, refinement, refinement. Going to be a lot faster in a straight line I'm betting.
Well they said they are achieving similar levels of drag as last year, so probably not. They're definitely still in the same thinking as last year in terms of not going super low drag(ala Ferrari) in favor of higher performance in corners.
It will have similar drag, but more downforce and a more powerful PU. So yes, I think they will be faster both on the straights and in corners.

Mr5in1

.poz wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 11:58
https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/71 ... 836f9c.jpg

Quite impressive
Long time reader, 1st time poster.

Can someone tell me more about the inlet (looks like a brake duct) that is sitting between the suspension mounts under the bull horn on the nose, is this new I couldn't see it on the W10 photos?

F1Krof

I don't believe we've even seen the 1/4th of the real W11. Especially the bargeboard area.
Wroom wroom

Owen.C93

Mr5in1 wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 15:12
.poz wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 11:58
https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/71 ... 836f9c.jpg

Quite impressive
Long time reader, 1st time poster.

Can someone tell me more about the inlet (looks like a brake duct) that is sitting between the suspension mounts under the bull horn on the nose, is this new I couldn't see it on the W10 photos?
Just a different angle of the bargeboards.

https://i.imgur.com/SCA6U0A.jpg
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

adrianjordan

What am I seeing here??
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

MtthsMlw

adrianjordan wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 15:42
https://attachment.tapatalk-cdn.com/148 ... OXJYGYDADA

What am I seeing here??
Some reflection

astracrazy

I guess they have the bulge there to try and push the airflow down the slope?

MtthsMlw

Paint, some sensor or holes under the sidepod inlets?
These are not in the renders.

Just_a_fan

adrianjordan wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 15:42
https://attachment.tapatalk-cdn.com/148 ... OXJYGYDADA

What am I seeing here??
The bodywork has a shoulder below the halo mount, then it drops downwards before projecting horizontally to form the top of the sidepod. As the top of the sidepod is steeply raked downwards to the rear, you get a strange combination of shadow and reflection in this area.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

MtthsMlw wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 15:52
Paint, some sensor or holes under the sidepod inlets?
These are not in the renders.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EQvaAycX0AI ... =4096x4096
There is a circular-ish hole there, isn't there? On the W10, there was a small duct in the bottom of the sidepod entry that fed down to an electronics box or similar. You can see it here as what looks like a strut just below the sidepod entry, connecting down to the shiny carbon box below the sidepod. I'm going to guess and say the holes we see on the W11 feed a similar duct / electronics pack.

If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

OO7
OO7

Seanspeed

LM10 wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 15:03
Seanspeed wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 15:01
kimetic wrote:

It will have similar drag, but more downforce and a more powerful PU. So yes, I think they will be faster both on the straights and in corners.
Faster maybe, I just doubt 'a lot faster' as claimed. At these speeds and downforce/drag levels, you need a fair bit more power to gain meaningful boosts in straight line speeds. So I wouldn't expect some big increase here when they say they have similar drag levels as last year.