[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Meanwhile in Catalunya...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wouter

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The Power of Dreams!

Ground Effect

SmallSoldier wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 22:16
Ground Effect wrote:Unilever not featured on the car?
I’ll have to double check... But you may be onto something... If they took Unilever (Rexona) from Williams and we haven’t seen them in the car just yet... They might very well be the ones getting that space.

Interestingly, when the partnership was announced, Zak’s portion of the press release didn’t say anything at all about branding on the car, like they normally would, I found that a bit odd.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

AMG.Tzan

Why change last year's livery again? At last since 2013 they had found a nice livery! It makes the team look like a GP2 team (GP2 engine :lol: )!

Of course after so many years of great liveries (Marlboro-West-Vodafone) it would always be difficult to better such liveries!

But i think that just using Mclaren's original Papaya orange would be nice...Alonso's 2017 Indy 500 car was a great example of how good the livery looks on modern machinery! Just papaya orange with blue numbers! :)
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

adrianjordan

AMG.Tzan wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 23:25
Why change last year's livery again? At last since 2013 they had found a nice livery! It makes the team look like a GP2 team (GP2 engine :lol: )!

Of course after so many years of great liveries (Marlboro-West-Vodafone) it would always be difficult to better such liveries!

But i think that just using Mclaren's original Papaya orange would be nice...Alonso's 2017 Indy 500 car was a great example of how good the livery looks on modern machinery! Just papaya orange with blue numbers! :)
I agree. Last year's livery was the best one they've had since the Vodafone days. If they'd have stuck with it AND done so until they return to winning ways, they'd have had a chance of it becoming iconic.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

ScottR267

Ground Effect wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 23:16
SmallSoldier wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 22:16
Ground Effect wrote:Unilever not featured on the car?
I’ll have to double check... But you may be onto something... If they took Unilever (Rexona) from Williams and we haven’t seen them in the car just yet... They might very well be the ones getting that space.

Interestingly, when the partnership was announced, Zak’s portion of the press release didn’t say anything at all about branding on the car, like they normally would, I found that a bit odd.
Agree with you, very odd no mention of any car placement for Unilever when the sponsorship was announced! Even more so given how it was publicised everywhere, when a lot of sponsorship news doesn’t receive the same level of coverage! Then again poaching the sponsor from another team could be why!

I’m praying that the space is filled come the start of the season!

ScottR267

https://www.sportbusiness.com/news/mcla ... -branding/

Confirmed Unilever will not be shown on the car!

Xero

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/partners/

Not sure if this has been mentioned previously, but looks like the Coca-Cola deal has not been renewed.

JordanMugen

adrianjordan wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 16:24
Personally I think the car would look amazing if they had a sort of pearlescent orange paint....like some of their road cars have....
Did you forget already? :P

The 2017 McLaren used Tarocco Orange (darker metallic) instead of Papaya Spark or McLaren Orange. McLaren claimed the 2018 car used Papaya Spark rather than McLaren Orange.

McLaren indeed have four orange colours: Tarocco Orange (a darker metallic), Venture Orange (a lighter metallic that is close to Papaya Spark & McLaren Orange ), Papaya Spark (metallic?) and McLaren Orange (solid colour).

The closest to the historical colour are Papaya Spark and McLaren Orange. Supposedly Papaya Spark is a metallic colour with a clear coat (well it would have to be a paint that uses a clear coat, if McLaren were able to eliminate the clear coat in 2020!), whereas McLaren Orange is the historical single stage colour, however both colours appear to be quite similar to me. :?:

Perhaps a McLaren enthusiast could clarify the history and positioning of these various orange McLaren road car colours? 8)

Would Ventura Orange (below) fit your requirement best for a more striking orange close to the traditional McLaren colour? Though Papaya Spark supposedly contains some fleck/pearl over and above the McLaren Orange (otherwise what would be the point of offering them as two different colours) , the current Papaya Spark doesn't appear particularly metallic.

The Ventura is quite a bit lighter than the Taracco but a bit darker than the Papaya Spark, while also being an obviously metallic colour that looks different depending on lighting angle unlike the subtly metallic Papaya Spark.

Note the slight metallic fleck in the Papaya Spark, which McLaren claim is the orange they are using in F1.

IMO the Papaya Spark has ever so slightly more depth to it than the McLaren Orange, which does indeed seem to make the 2018 onwards race cars look a little bit "better" than the McLaren test cars in pure McLaren Orange which often looked a bit "washed out" to me.

However these oranges are very sensitive to lighting and exposure, so it's very hard to tell the true colour from photographs!

PS. Renault could in theory paint their cars in Liquid Yellow like their road cars, but (like most pearl paints) it's a three-stage paint -- colour, tinted clear, clear -- so would be rather heavy!

Yet Alfa Romeo races just fine with the similar three-stage pearl Competizione Red colour, so maybe paint weight is not a big deal. #-o

Macklaren

Excellent post! I'm going to go eat an orange now

Jolle

By the way, the orange-blue was Indy only, in F1 they ran orange with white/black numbers before the livery was taken over by sponsors. It’s the wrong retro (and has annoyed me since they had this orange blue livery)

Emag

Re: McLaren MCL35

Anyone knows if a filming day is planned before testing, or is the team opting to do that later like last year?

M840TR

Emag wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 18:26
Anyone knows if a filming day is planned before testing, or is the team opting to do that later like last year?
Direct to Barcelona for now.

pazazamadaz

Emag wrote:
Pretty sure they have a filming day/shakedown planned for Barcelona before the testing starts. I saw it mentioned somewhere in the many, many articles I have been reading over the last 24 hours about the MCL35. lol

the EDGE

pazazamadaz wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 18:44
Emag wrote:
Pretty sure they have a filming day/shakedown planned for Barcelona before the testing starts. I saw it mentioned somewhere in the many, many articles I have been reading over the last 24 hours about the MCL35. lol
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... bOllO.html