General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
IvailoStefanovBG

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Engine sound definetly changed alot both on AT01 and RB16.....

subcritical71

lio007 wrote:
15 Feb 2020, 15:06
It sounded a bit strange, when the car left the box... Kind of metallic clacking
Damn, that thing sounds like it doesn't like the idea of going slow. Unleash it!

Bill

Honda usually test more than one engine spec it could explain changes in engine sound.

Wouter

Hear the sound of the Honda engine.

The Power of Dreams!

sn809

Interestingly only Honda have released with sound, AFAIK

lio007

Some positive vibes from Tanabe-san: Seems Honda is quite happy with the 2 teams...

https://f1i.com/news/367790-honda-devel ... anabe.html

Bill

The interesting part is that they have found more power while their competitors says finding power gains have been difficult due to rules stability.Honda introduced a new combustion technology in 2017 but they only made it to work in the last two years so I think they have more scope for further gains.

GhostF1

PlatinumZealot wrote:
15 Feb 2020, 18:13
Best looking car. Best looking race suit. Best sounding engine. Congrats!
They've done really well on all fronts. I'm excited to see the progress Honda has made over the break and it certainly sounds good, the noise we know but it sounds a little tighter. If everything we've heard is true, they'll be right towards the front. Mercedes have made similar rumblings of a gain though, so Melbourne can't come soon enough to see.

I risked lurking in the Renault/McLaren threads and saw in the McLaren thread (which unfortunately still has a whiff of f**k Honda about it) that Taffin claimed a 0.1 improvement in race pace, with minimal quali performance gain for Renault. So likely reliability improvements were the focus for the winter (probably a good idea). Oh and apparently Honda is "languishing in last and by far sounds the worst"... I knew I couldn't go over there without seeing some passive aggressive nonsense. #-o

Bill

Honda fans have moved on is about time those at Mclaren do the same

Jambier

GhostF1 wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 02:42
PlatinumZealot wrote:
They've done really well on all fronts. I'm excited to see the progress Honda has made over the break and it certainly sounds good, the noise we know but it sounds a little tighter. If everything we've heard is true, they'll be right towards the front. Mercedes have made similar rumblings of a gain though, so Melbourne can't come soon enough to see.

I risked lurking in the Renault/McLaren threads and saw in the McLaren thread (which unfortunately still has a whiff of f**k Honda about it) that Taffin claimed a 0.1 improvement in race pace, with minimal quali performance gain for Renault. So likely reliability improvements were the focus for the winter (probably a good idea). Oh and apparently Honda is "languishing in last and by far sounds the worst"... I knew I couldn't go over there without seeing some passive aggressive nonsense. #-o
Yes on Renault side, they already declared they focused mainly to improve reliability, not much in performance.
I'm surprise even if it is Renault to have that kind of declaration... they are really expecting nothing for 2020

Back to Honda, Spec 4 2019 was a huge gap, so I expect a little gain for spec 1 2020, but still a gain, and through the year a top notch reliability + power gains

But I fear a bit Mercedes that seems to have an all new engine with really big progress in order to be back at the front on engine side

Jambier

Bill wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 09:08
Honda fans have moved on is about time those at Mclaren do the same
I think this is almost done, when you are a McLaren fan you think at 2021 and Mercedes engine, hoping that McLaren is back in the game with the big 3 :wink:

etusch

Jambier wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 09:09
GhostF1 wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 02:42
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Yes on Renault side, they already declared they focused mainly to improve reliability, not much in performance.
I'm surprise even if it is Renault to have that kind of declaration... they are really expecting nothing for 2020

Back to Honda, Spec 4 2019 was a huge gap, so I expect a little gain for spec 1 2020, but still a gain, and through the year a top notch reliability + power gains

But I fear a bit Mercedes that seems to have an all new engine with really big progress in order to be back at the front on engine side
When Renault thinks that they has more power than merc, if they are serious with that statement... Their Challenge is reliability.

From mersedes point, I think they are a bit stuck at where they were last year. So they made lighter cooling system because they could found no enough power gaining ideas. Maybe they got a few hp with a few kg gain last year.
Now they returned back to using a bigger cooling and a bit heavier cooling. I read that they made Engine able to work with higher temp. This also may bring a bit heavier engine parts.
So if they could find a few hp some of them may gone by extra kg or half of them. or something like that.
Thankfully we are not much away from seeing who is where

Wouter

etusch wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 09:28
Thankfully we are not much away from seeing who is where
During the test weeks we can't see at all who has the better engine or whole package.
They will/must ride as many laps as possible to get data. Maybe a quick lap on the last day, but I don't think so.
Then every team also comes with updates for the second week and than also for Melbourne again.

If Mercedes finally gets the cooling right, they can get a lot more HPs out of the engine, so I think it's a big step for Mercedes. Their chassis also seems to be greatly improved.

The Honda engine has made a big step, but only small steps will be added during the season. This is said by the teams and Honda people themselves.

It is of no use to view times and certainly not the sector times. If a team drives many laps, that is a good sign.
The Power of Dreams!

Marti_EF3

From the test point of view, you can only see if that car handle well and have good mechanical grip on S3. But I'm sure the top teams will be doing unideal lines to mask the times. We will see and I'll keep you updated as far I can

Wouter

Marti_EF3 wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 10:20
From the test point of view, you can only see if that car handle well and have good mechanical grip on S3.
As far as I'm concerned, will you take a good look at that next week? RBR needs a better mechanical grip.
You see them all passing close by. Just keep us informed please, as usual. =D> Enjoy your days there Marti.
The Power of Dreams!