Mercedes W11

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
lio007

Re: Mercedes W11

Sevach wrote:
15 Feb 2020, 14:19
Morteza wrote:
15 Feb 2020, 13:38
It might be an optical illusion, but is this (in yellow) the “adventurous suspension layout” that James Allison mentioned about W11?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EQ0GTMrWsAAwQfS.jpg:large
Via @NicolasF1i
They added that and brought the "teal" piece forward, away from the diffuser.

I wonder what the yellow piece is suppoused to do in terms of actual suspension work.
Mercedes has messed with clever stuff hydraulic passive suspensions, and recently pushrods designed to alter ride height...
So it makes me curious if there's more to it than they are saying.
So, the blue one is the driveshaft, right?

Pyrone89

Rear suspension and sidepods look ominous
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Maritimer

lio007 wrote:
15 Feb 2020, 20:13
Sevach wrote:
15 Feb 2020, 14:19
Morteza wrote:
15 Feb 2020, 13:38
It might be an optical illusion, but is this (in yellow) the “adventurous suspension layout” that James Allison mentioned about W11?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EQ0GTMrWsAAwQfS.jpg:large
Via @NicolasF1i
They added that and brought the "teal" piece forward, away from the diffuser.

I wonder what the yellow piece is suppoused to do in terms of actual suspension work.
Mercedes has messed with clever stuff hydraulic passive suspensions, and recently pushrods designed to alter ride height...
So it makes me curious if there's more to it than they are saying.
So, the blue one is the driveshaft, right?
Driveshaft would be housed in the real member, that's just a forward link.

the EDGE

Scarbs’ review

izzy

the EDGE wrote:
15 Feb 2020, 23:10

Scarbs’ review
Thanks! i find it hard to believe they get the air to stay attached and flow down that black run of a sidepod, with such a sharp break at the top of it. They can obviously, it just doesn't look like it

OO7
OO7

The following sequence of shots, highlight the aggressive packaging of the W11:

Pyrone89

OO7 wrote:
15 Feb 2020, 23:46

But where will they put the engine?

zibby43

Matthew Somerfield (@SomersF1) on the W11:

Thunder

Livery Posts have been moved to the Team Thread.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Blackout

Pyrone89 wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 01:44
OO7 wrote:
15 Feb 2020, 23:46

But where will they put the engine?
Mercs sidepods and rear bodywok never impressed me because their car is 17 meter long since 2017. So their sidepods look much smaller and thinner than they really are, on that stretch car. But what's quite impressive now is that this RBish bodywork almost completely wrap the radiators even at the back. There is barely space for the air to exit them.
We nead a rear 3/4 view
Last edited by Blackout on 16 Feb 2020, 14:53, edited 1 time in total.

izzy

zibby43 wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 07:03
Matthew Somerfield (@SomersF1) on the W11:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CawIxugA_Lw&t=2s
Thanks, it's a nice summary isn't it, and a new f1 word (for me): 'face area' :D

atanatizante

Not the best side by side pictures (especially from Ferrari side) but I think you guys can figure out what every team has done with their sidepods and rear car area ...

Maybe someone could give as a better picture and detailed explanations, comparing and stuff...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Pyrone89

Basically what we are looking at here is a car that has the best of RB, Ferrari and the W10 combined. Unless they made a screw-up somewhere (and Mercedes does not do that in design, they reserve their blunders for 1 race a year) this car is going to at least challenge for the title again or more likely be the car to beat like the past 7 years.

HungarianRacer

atanatizante wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 13:22
https://postimages.org/

Not the best side by side pictures (especially from Ferrari side) but I think you guys can figure out what every team has done with their sidepods and rear car area ...

Maybe someone could give as a better picture and detailed explanations, comparing and stuff...
Really not the best comparison, since the focal length of the "camera" (these are digital renders of course) always varies with these pictures, which messes with the proportions.... Going by real life photos, Red Bull's inlet is much narrower, while the Merc's sidepod, for some reason, has a much thicker sidewall (it's paper-thin on the SF1000 and RB16), which probably makes it the widest, in terms of undercut and downwards slope however, the W11 is by far the most extreme, they've probably put immense work to keep the airflow stable over that massive indentation on the side of the car (not even speaking of the airflow restriction under those panels with the completely shrink-wrapped radiators), not that it's very novel concept, it's been the exact same idea with RB's "jelly-mould" sidepods in recent years, and now you can also see Ferrari trying the same kind of thing with a bit of a concave, down-sloping patch of bodywork behind that iconic Shell logo, it's just the new extreme Mercedes has taken the concept (it's not just the steepness of the slope, it's also how early it starts).
Last edited by HungarianRacer on 16 Feb 2020, 14:29, edited 1 time in total.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare