F1 2020 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
the EDGE

Re: F1 2020 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Zynerji wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 21:54
the EDGE wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 21:49
So far, the teams I am aware of who have had their ‘film day’ shakedown are:-

Merc
Redbull
McLaren
Alfa Romeo
Alpha tauri

Anyone else find it strange Ferrari have not done so yet? Or did I just miss it?
Still have Monday and Tuesday to do so before testing.
True... but I thought they usually did this at Fiorano, I would have thought they’d be on the way to Barcelona by now

jumpingfish

the EDGE wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 22:12
Zynerji wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 21:54
the EDGE wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 21:49
So far, the teams I am aware of who have had their ‘film day’ shakedown are:-

Merc
Redbull
McLaren
Alfa Romeo
Alpha tauri

Anyone else find it strange Ferrari have not done so yet? Or did I just miss it?
Still have Monday and Tuesday to do so before testing.
True... but I thought they usually did this at Fiorano, I would have thought they’d be on the way to Barcelona by now
I read about filming day in Barcelona 18.02

NathanOlder

Am I right in thinking the live timing for the tests will be the usual F1 app timing? So glad when they announced the live timing. Will make it a lot more interesting, Especially if the timing app records each drivers best sector like it does at a normal race weekend.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

etusch

7 of the cleverest deceptions in F1 testing history

The clever people would do a qualifying simulation in testing with just that little bit extra fuel, say around 10 kgs, which is worth about 0.3s,” he says. “And that's where you’d get that sort of, ‘Were they or weren't they?’

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 5oBEAoz3wk

izzy

NathanOlder wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 23:58
Am I right in thinking the live timing for the tests will be the usual F1 app timing? So glad when they announced the live timing. Will make it a lot more interesting, Especially if the timing app records each drivers best sector like it does at a normal race weekend.
i'm expecting live timing to be working. And hoping Sky and various people are going to be giving us some stints

And also looking forward to various wise sages telling us it's only testing :lol:

f1jcw

Is it time to unstick the 2019 testing thread?

SmallSoldier

The one thing that I’m really looking for this year during testing will be how easy is it really to copy someone else’s car and get performance out of it...

With Alpha Tauri using RBR’s components from the RB15 and having in essence the same chassis (because of the suspension used) than the 2019 Red Bull car as well as using the same engine and Haas in a similar situation with the 2019 Ferrari... Will that propel them to the top of the midfield?

Those 2 cars (Ferrari’s and Red Bull’s) were around 1 second faster than the midfield... In theory, both teams Haas and AT should be able to copy that performance... That will be a very interesting development to watch in testing and during the season

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just_a_fan

The teams can only buy in a selected list of components. Obviously the nature of the PUs means that entire drivetrains are included. But sidepod shapes and other aero-critical components aren't. So the aero ability of last year's RBR and Ferrari shouldn't be a simple bolt on for Haas etc. They need to do their own bodywork, wings etc., and that affects performance - if it didn't , the top three wouldn't have been constantly evolving theirs.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SmallSoldier

Just_a_fan wrote:The teams can only buy in a selected list of components. Obviously the nature of the PUs means that entire drivetrains are included. But sidepod shapes and other aero-critical components aren't. So the aero ability of last year's RBR and Ferrari shouldn't be a simple bolt on for Haas etc. They need to do their own bodywork, wings etc., and that affects performance - if it didn't , the top three wouldn't have been constantly evolving theirs.
I agree with you, nevertheless from a Aero perspective, knowing that you will be getting the same engine and suspension components and with most of the Aero been easy to analyze during the year, you would expect them to follow what worked for the previous car... I’m not saying that’s the case and I don’t know how easy it is at the end of the day, but it will be interesting to see if that translates into a huge leap in lap times for those teams.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kptaylor

Regarding Haas and AT, do the regs prohibit buying previous year's aero components. Are they exempt from that "select list of components"?

the EDGE

kptaylor wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 19:37
Regarding Haas and AT, do the regs prohibit buying previous year's aero components. Are they exempt from that "select list of components"?
Yes, the teams must design and build bodywork themselves... doesn’t stop them copying ideas however

Morteza

Morteza wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 20:47
Confirmed testing line-ups so far
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERC9U3mWAAAjnXN.png:large
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

PlatinumZealot

I like Mercedes way of doing it. They would put both drivers on each day.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Jolle

PlatinumZealot wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 14:45
I like Mercedes way of doing it. They would put both drivers on each day.
I think it was more out of necessity because the amount of laps they could do each day :P

Unc1eM0nty

Yes the Merc testing strategy goes back a few years to when Lewis and Nico were team mates, they we doing so many laps each day (well over a hundred) they both complained of neck pains.

Christian Horner accused them of taking the wee wee after they rolled up the first day and did 140 laps in brand new car, everyone else was having the niggles and on track stoppages.