[ 2020 ] Racing Point F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
NathanOlder

Re: [ 2020 ] Racing Point F1 Team - Mercedes

Sevach wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 15:13
NathanOlder wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 15:09
The are clearly different! as long as you know the difference between a 1 and an 8, then theres no problem :lol:

Seriously though, it really doesn't matter with the halo now. T-Cam and big numbers on the car are just fine. Its not like the 60's 70's 80's when it really mattered
Sure there will be ways to differentiate them, still a prick move to do this.
Yeah totally. Also another way to tell the difference will be, Perez will be the one in the midfield, Lance will be the one at the back. :lol:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NAPI10

Another reason for giving so much of exposure to 'BWT' could be to come out of contract by the end of 2020. Start re-branding exercise with 'AM' in 2021.
Astin Martin's brand will certainly increase the team's market appeal; now they can attract lot many sponsorers.

Racer X

If i recall correctly Strolls helmet only lost a few silver markings on his helmet but its pretty much the same. Checos helmet had a lot more white along the front so it just gained more pink, He also lost the tiny Mexican flag he had hidden in the back of his helmet. But Strolls helmet is still the darker *shade* of pink.

But maybe they are just showing the base for both?

Maybe Stroll will show up at Barcelona with a few added silver markings and Checo with little hints *of* Green and Red.

Even last year tho you could tell the BWT contract gave the drivers very little say over their helmets.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

AMG.Tzan

With Lawrence Stroll canceling the Le Mans Hypercar effort of Aston Martin and the Red Bull sponsoring deal, it seems that there will be huge investment to make Racing Point a championship contender!

But...when was the last time a customer engine team defeated the manufacturer itself (Red Bull - Renault in 2010)?? And in this case we are talking about Mercedes!!

I am already hyped to see what can Racing Point turning into a works Aston Martin team achieve!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Zynerji

AMG.Tzan wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 19:03
With Lawrence Stroll canceling the Le Mans Hypercar effort of Aston Martin and the Red Bull sponsoring deal, it seems that there will be huge investment to make Racing Point a championship contender!

But...when was the last time a customer engine team defeated the manufacturer itself (Red Bull - Renault in 2010)?? And in this case we are talking about Mercedes!!

I am already hyped to see what can Racing Point turning into a works Aston Martin team achieve!

RBR beat Renault and McLaren beat Mercedes.

Racer X

I think only Ferrari would not allow itself to be beaten by a customer. Other then them if you show up with a stronger overall package sure you can beat Mercedez and Renaul its been done. Is it easy? not at all McLaren at the time had a works deal that allowed them to design in preseason with equal data to the Factory team and it was the same case for RedBull. So perhaps Aston Martin will be able to compete. and in 2021 all teams will be closer together so being a works team will help. But just how equal will Aston be to Mercedes will they really be a works team?
Or is the Aston Martin "Works" title here not really relevant. Its not really up to Aston its up to Mercedes.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

NathanOlder

Zynerji wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 19:08
AMG.Tzan wrote:

Doesn't 2016, 17 and 18 count too!? RedBull had a Renault engine still, jist badged a Tag. And they beat the Renault works team every year.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Zynerji

I was going by branding. The TAG change kinda proves the point I think.

AMG.Tzan

Zynerji wrote:
AMG.Tzan wrote:

In 2013 there was no official Renault team...only Lotus! Renault last raced as an official team in 2010 and then from 2016 onwards!
And Mclaren didn't beat Mercedes in 2013 but did so in 2010-2012...but we are talking about a very different Mercedes then!

skoop

AMG.Tzan wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 21:51
Zynerji wrote:
AMG.Tzan wrote:

In 2013 there was no official Renault team...only Lotus! Renault last raced as an official team in 2010 and then from 2016 onwards!
And Mclaren didn't beat Mercedes in 2013 but did so in 2010-2012...but we are talking about a very different Mercedes then!
Am I missing something obvious or what's about last year? McLaren beat Renault as well

AMG.Tzan

I am referring to customers beating manufacturers to the title...not in lower championship positions! Renault isn't a good example since they are nowhere near the front and both RB and Mclaren are beating them! And Mercedes 2010-2012 was almost in the same situation since they weren't spending enough money!

My point is...do you expect Aston Martin to be able to beat today's Mercedes?? I don't think so...and being just a customer was the reason Ron Dennis said they couldn't fight for championships (well then they couldn't even fight for 9th but that's another story)!

Sevach

Depending on who you ask the last customer champion was Red Bull or Brawn.
About 2010 although Enstone was still using the name "Renault" it had already been sold, the people who ran "Lotus" were already in charge.
There was no clear factory team (which became Red Bull in the following years).

Sure Mercedes can be beat, the rule change next year is gonna be huge and no one has a head start.
If Lawrence is serious about challenging for more than points and odd podiums... how much does he love his son?

izzy

Re: Racing Point RP20

They're using the Mercedes wind tunnel now, so their aeros will be mingling with Mercedes aeros and the tunnel techs, so add in the whole powertrain and they're bound to be pretty heavily cross-fertilised. FIA changed the listed parts to get Haas in, and same thing tho formula1.com even admitted Ferrari do the aero concept for them, and so inevitably Helmut says they're going to help their junior team to the max as well then.

I don't like it personally, it's all part of this making it cheaper dumbing it down spec thing, and bad for Williams who are trying to hang in as a full constructor. But it doesn't make sense to blame Lawrence particularly for taking advantage

PlatinumZealot

Re: Racing Point PR20

Diesel wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 10:18
That is the W10... what the hell!?

The nose, the sidepids, the airbox... they didn't even try to make it look different :wtf:
Lawerence Stroll businessman instincts shining through. Hass business model being followed.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌
🟤🟤 Coco puffs are my favourite too! 🟤🟤

jjn9128

Re: Racing Point RP20

izzy wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 11:54
They're using the Mercedes wind tunnel now, so their aeros will be mingling with Mercedes aeros and the tunnel techs, so add in the whole powertrain and they're bound to be pretty heavily cross-fertilised. FIA changed the listed parts to get Haas in, and same thing tho formula1.com even admitted Ferrari do the aero concept for them, and so inevitably Helmut says they're going to help their junior team to the max as well then.

I don't like it personally, it's all part of this making it cheaper dumbing it down spec thing, and bad for Williams who are trying to hang in as a full constructor. But it doesn't make sense to blame Lawrence particularly for taking advantage
You think the Merc aerodynamicists are giving anything away? Aero is unlisted so teams have to design their own bodywork, cross-work is prohibited and the punishment would be too severe. Just because it looks like last years Merc doesn't mean it will perform like or in anyway be identical to it.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica