Racing Point RP20

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
'Tis me, just me.

Re: Racing Point RP20

False alarm! It’s not a W10 it has a slightly pointier nose. Seriously though, contrary to what has been said I think RP will be able to develop the car pretty well. Some sort of update to the sidepods during the season seems reasonable to predict.

Morteza

Some more similarities with W10

Via @NicolasF1i
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Emag

How could they have copied that car to this extent. It looks like there was more effort going into looking at W10 images than proper development.

The sidepod shape is the only thing that looks distinctively different, but I suppose that is because it has to do with internal packaging. No images of that online.

PhillipM

There's obviously been a huge buy in of almost everything bar the chassis from Merc, tbfh.

i70q7m7ghw

Thunder wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 12:36
Alright, i think we all got it now. I'm moving the Discussion about how it came to the RP20 to the Team Thread. Let's not clutter up this Thread ok?
Sorry, disagree. My comment was about the car, not the team. But no worries, I'll take all my car type stuff to the team threads from now on :roll:

Blackout

Emag wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 21:39
How could they have copied that car to this extent. It looks like there was more effort going into looking at W10 images than proper development.

The sidepod shape is the only thing that looks distinctively different, but I suppose that is because it has to do with internal packaging. No images of that online.
I doubt the RP cooling layout is very similar to Merc. I bet RP is still using an air-air intercooler that takes all the left hand sidepod. https://external-preview.redd.it/7U6GM7 ... 26f0dcd836 While Merc has a smaller setup thanks to that mini water-air intercooler that sits in front of the engine etc... hence the bigger sidepods on the RP.

humble sabot

Morteza wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 21:12
Some more similarities with W10
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERKHgQdX0AAgWlD.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERKHgQuWsAgTYYB.jpg
Via @NicolasF1i
OK, this I wasn't expecting! It has to be technology sharing at this point. They didn't even change the trip vanes in the channel. Are they actually going to be able to improve on this? That's going to be the real test of what RP is as an engineering team.
I'm curious if it's the same upright structurally as the Merc underneath. The pickup points appear to be the same. It could be that they only copied it in terms of its aero? That would of course mean the pickup points would have to be the same, but under the ductwork they may have found places to work on?
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

JordanMugen

Morteza wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 11:51
Albert Fabrega wrote:Racing Point rised the impact structure and lowered the sidepod cooling intake. Different to RP19, similar to W10. =Front wing.
I don't understand why you would do this when everybody else is lowering the crash structure and going to a high-top inlet sidepod. So you've already got a high-top inlet sidepod, and then spend time and money to go away from that design. :wtf:

What's the benefit? :?:
turbof1 wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 17:30
Motivations and whatever are for the team thread.
Is my question OK? :oops:

I don't understand what the benefit of a mid-inlet sidepod over a high-inlet sidepod. :?:

So the high-inlet sidepod provides cleaner air around the undercut... Does the mid-inlet sidepod provide cleaner air flow over the top of the sidepod? So if you can get the air to stay attached as the sidepod slopes downwards, this should work just as well as driving the air around the undercut?

PlatinumZealot

They used the old w10 style side pod because it was designed to work with the front wings and bargeboards. No point in messing with it or reinventing the wheel when you are strapped for cash and resources for 2021. The W10 was still faster overall than other cars even with those less effective sidepods so it shpuld be more than good enough for the job.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Raleigh

Okay, to clear up some points since not everyone seems to fully understand what is going on between the RP20 and Mercedes...

Racing Point are buying named components directly from Mercedes as is allowed under the rules. This means the suspension, brake ducts and gearbox are supplied by Mercedes from the same parts used on the W10. Not similar, identical.

You can be sure, every single component Lawrence Stroll is allowed to buy directly from Mercedes he is doing so.

Bodywork and aero are not allowed to be shared between teams, even in the form of technical diagrams that the other team then builds independently. However, as can be seen the bodywork and aero of the RP20 is almost cloned from the W10, which leads me to believe Mercedes have found a legal way to let Racing Point copy their aero as closely as possible.

For example, very high resolution projected computer images of the car (think press release images but much more detailed) would allow Racing Point to work out exact dimensions and position of each piece of bodywork, and yet these images wouldn't count as illegally sharing data because it's just a picture of the car.

FMP
FMP

Raleigh wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 05:51
Okay, to clear up some points since not everyone seems to fully understand what is going on between the RP20 and Mercedes...

Racing Point are buying named components directly from Mercedes as is allowed under the rules. This means the suspension, brake ducts and gearbox are supplied by Mercedes from the same parts used on the W10. Not similar, identical.

You can be sure, every single component Lawrence Stroll is allowed to buy directly from Mercedes he is doing so.

Bodywork and aero are not allowed to be shared between teams, even in the form of technical diagrams that the other team then builds independently. However, as can be seen the bodywork and aero of the RP20 is almost cloned from the W10, which leads me to believe Mercedes have found a legal way to let Racing Point copy their aero as closely as possible.

For example, very high resolution projected computer images of the car (think press release images but much more detailed) would allow Racing Point to work out exact dimensions and position of each piece of bodywork, and yet these images wouldn't count as illegally sharing data because it's just a picture of the car.
But brake ducts are listed parts so they HAVE to be designed by themselves. I guess you can argue that anything can be copied by photos etc. But this is really pushing the boundaries of that (brake ducts I mean)... If FIA doesn't come down on this, then we could just scratch the rule all together. However, if all teams would copy last season's winner in non-changing regulation years', then we'd have three top teams and the others closely behind. So maybe that's the way we have to go.

"Brake ducts are now ‘Listed Parts’
The air ducts used to cool the brakes are now categorised as ‘Listed Parts’, meaning they’ll need to be designed by the teams themselves, rather than bought in from another company or team. Other Listed Parts include: the car’s bodywork, roll structures, front impact structures and the survival cell." https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... ntN64.html

F1Krof

Wroom wroom

Morteza

Via F1i

ScrewCaptain27

Completely different to the W10. Makes sense since they’re designing most of the suspension themselves. https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/raci ... --47036013
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian