[ 2020 ] Racing Point F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mansell89

Re: [ 2020 ] Racing Point F1 Team - Mercedes

I’m really disappointed to see RP going down this route. This is a team that has fought a good fight over the years.

The minute you start having last seasons Mercedes or Ferrari or Red Bull, you really are accepting that you are not in the sport for winning. Essentially, you are just a midfield annoyance and nothing more than a negated threat to the top team who now essentially “controls you”.

I’d always rather be a Williams or McLaren and face the hard times and that’s why il always admire those two genuine racing teams over someone like RP.

No doubt RP will be a tough midfield competitor this year but they will never be any more than that.

marmer

Mansell89 wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 09:27
I’m really disappointed to see RP going down this route. This is a team that has fought a good fight over the years.

The minute you start having last seasons Mercedes or Ferrari or Red Bull, you really are accepting that you are not in the sport for winning. Essentially, you are just a midfield annoyance and nothing more than a negated threat to the top team who now essentially “controls you”.

I’d always rather be a Williams or McLaren and face the hard times and that’s why il always admire those two genuine racing teams over someone like RP.

No doubt RP will be a tough midfield competitor this year but they will never be any more than that.
they have been a genuine racing team for years punching above there weight. i have more respect for their effort than either mclaren or Williams who have overspent for years and made constantly poor choices even if mclaren are on the up now.

and with the plans for more parts to be a single design for everyone and the grid should close up as differnces should be smaller and performance should come from setup more than design having a talented group of racers as racing point do should be good for them going forward

i70q7m7ghw

Quite a lot of blistering on the fronts, did the W10 have that problem?

i70q7m7ghw

Also, not sure if anyone else has posted this one:

:lol:

genarro

marmer wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 10:18
Mansell89 wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 09:27

they have been a genuine racing team for years punching above there weight. i have more respect for their effort than either mclaren or Williams who have overspent for years and made constantly poor choices even if mclaren are on the up now.

and with the plans for more parts to be a single design for everyone and the grid should close up as differnces should be smaller and performance should come from setup more than design having a talented group of racers as racing point do should be good for them going forward
cmon man have a backbone. You are essentialy saying that its better to be someone's little b***** than go out and fight your own battle

Mark4211

Annotated Wheel Adjustments: Onboard Lap, Sergio Perez - Testing 2020

i70q7m7ghw

I noticed they appear to have kept their own steering wheel, perhaps using the one labelled "HAM" was a step too far :lol:

max_speed

god forbid if mercedes 2020 design has some inherent flaw like last year ferrari then we might see "Stroll" as 2020 World champion :)

i70q7m7ghw

Ted68

Racer X wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 17:45
*QUESTION:* Do you guys think they did all this to save time and be able to focus on the 2021 car? So they can have a smaller team of engineers for this years car?
That's what I was thinking. There can't be too much development money floating around after the Aston Martin deal, so what money is available needs to go to 2021. And if they were to just start buying year old Mercs like Super Aguri used to run year old Hondas, that wouldn't work for next year anyway as the W11 won't be anything like a 2021 car. But I don't think that's what they are doing. I see it as a one-off deal taking advantage of the rules situation for 2019/2020 and it's a great move. It saves money, gets them a good chassis and will probably score them good points.
Heaven: Where the cooks are French, the police are British, the lovers are Greek, the mechanics are German, and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell: Where the cooks are British, the police are German, the lovers are Swiss, the mechanics are French, and it is all organized by the Greeks.

Big Tea

max_speed wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 15:58
god forbid if mercedes 2020 design has some inherent flaw like last year ferrari then we might see "Stroll" as 2020 World champion :)
And people would still say he is crap :D
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Racer X

Big Tea wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 20:40
max_speed wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 15:58
And people would still say he is crap :D

Perez is 2 seconds faster then Stroll but I don't think Racing point will get more then 3rd.
4th being the most likely if the car is actually competitive.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

FittingMechanics

Ted68 wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 19:23
Racer X wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 17:45
*QUESTION:* Do you guys think they did all this to save time and be able to focus on the 2021 car? So they can have a smaller team of engineers for this years car?
That's what I was thinking. There can't be too much development money floating around after the Aston Martin deal, so what money is available needs to go to 2021. And if they were to just start buying year old Mercs like Super Aguri used to run year old Hondas, that wouldn't work for next year anyway as the W11 won't be anything like a 2021 car. But I don't think that's what they are doing. I see it as a one-off deal taking advantage of the rules situation for 2019/2020 and it's a great move. It saves money, gets them a good chassis and will probably score them good points.
They can't legally buy last years chassis. They can buy some parts (gearbox, suspension) but listed parts need to be developed in house. In this case, Racing Point claims they looked at pictures and copied Mercedes. I'd say it's possible but probably a bad way to build technical expertise needed to be good in 2021. How many aerodynamicists will be happy that their job ended up being copying Mercedes design.

PlatinumZealot

JordanMugen wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 07:00
PlatinumZealot wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 05:11
They used the old w10 style side pod because it was designed to work with the front wings and bargeboards.
But it must have cost so much money to redesign the front wing, bargeboards from scratch? Such a huge amount of iterative aero work to get from a blank computer model to a validated design with good CFD and wind tunnel results? :?:

How could Racing Point afford such a huge investment in design and R&D for just one season!!??
Ha.. Exactly. It is just common sense to buy championship WINNING ready made parts and design around it. Match the wheel base so that the flow structures line up and they are half-way there.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Manoah2u

Diesel wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 14:52
Also, not sure if anyone else has posted this one:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERJ0_aDUwAE ... me=900x900

:lol:
damn.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"