Renault F1 R.S. 20

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Renault F1 R.S. 20

Blackout

Blackout wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 16:58
https://i.imgur.com/M65kNxp.jpg
It seems that the sidepods have a different undercut shape too: a sensibly different (and smoother) teardrop shape where they meet the floor.
The 2020 sidpods have less undercut (but more overcut): they go wider, at the junction with the floor, between the RCI logo and the Renault logo. The cover-less pic shows that the 2019 undercut went below the exhaust, while the 2020 one get around the exhaust pipes (the latter might be a bit more compact but not by much)
So the rear of the car has been revised too. The fatter teardrop shape at the rear and the RB like overcut should bring more mass-flow over the diffuser.
The green line roughly replicates the 2020 undercut shape

Last edited by Blackout on 18 Mar 2020, 11:40, edited 1 time in total.

Blackout

When you design your new tub around your new thin nose
vs
When you mount a thin nose on last year's tub
Last edited by Blackout on 23 Feb 2020, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.

carisi2k

Blackout wrote:
22 Feb 2020, 21:06
vs
When you slap a thin nose on last years tub
https://i.imgur.com/5I7hErj.jpg
Renault did say they were looking towards 2021. The new nose and sidepods don't look to have been too bad as the car seems to be much better according to Daniel.

dtro

Blackout wrote:
vs
Just another example of the belt tightening at Renault :lol:

Zynerji

Where are Renault in their plan? I believe they said they had a 5 year rebuild plan a few years ago...

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they simply pulled out at the end of 2020.

djos

carisi2k wrote:
23 Feb 2020, 01:00
Blackout wrote:
vs
[url]https://i.imgur.com/5I7hErj.jpg[/
Renault did say they were looking towards 2021. The new nose and sidepods don't look to have been too bad as the car seems to be much better according to Daniel.
The Renault design looks far more coherent to me! The Macca Is the one that looks half arsed with that bulky and awkward transition to the main tub.

P.S. I’m fairly certain this was Blackout’s point too.
"In downforce we trust"

dtro

djos wrote:
23 Feb 2020, 02:15
carisi2k wrote:
Blackout wrote:
vs
The Renault design looks far more coherent to me! The Macca Is the one that looks half arsed with that bulky and awkward transition to the main tub.

Both Renault and McLaren look a. reliable b. steps up all around from last year even if their designs aren't as sleek as others. Renault disappointed last year. Ricci surely thought stealing a podium here or there was on the cards. The car this year looks more predictable from the videos that I've seen, and I wouldn't doubt that they put more than a few more points of df around the entire car if not making a big step in the PU dept. Mix in two hungry drivers, attacking McL breaking into the top 3 occasionally looks possible.

RP has been the one real surprise for me in terms of launches/winter testing. I hope that McL and Ren of 2020 are both faster than the pink W10. I wouldn't be surprised if Ren considered tapering the chassis and the thinner nose cone unnecessary with the changes planned for next year.

Blackout

carisi2k wrote:
Blackout wrote:
vs
Yes. My point was that Renault kept the "same" chassis as 2019* because they're focusing on 2021 and can't/don't want to spend too much money for 2020 redesigning everything. And that tub was designed for a large nose - hence the big step on the 2020 bullkhead area.
So this car is an evolution of last years car (which sadly was a very conservative evolution of the 2018 one - but wasnt completely useless, it was fast in many occasions but was too inconsistent and sensitive)

*according to Prost, the chassis is the same
The 2019 monocoque was already very very close to the 2018 one but the 2020 front wishbones have very different mounting points on the tub, so I think Renault kept the same tub molds as 2019 and just drilled different holes :P Prost said "chassis" not "tub" so maybe Renault has kept the gearbox casing too and only modified the internals. Ocon and another team member (I forgot who) praised the "new" gearbox and there are rumors that Renault has greatly optimized the gear ratio this year to extract a good amount of extra power and torque...

Renault R.S.20 corrects several weaknesses according to Alain Prost
Alain Prost believes that the Renault R.S.20 is more stable at the start of the curve, which was a weakness in 2019. He sees a new era for Renault. The first tests of the Renault R.S.20 have been encouraging. Esteban Ocon has never felt so much grip in a single-seater and Daniel Ricciardo has felt progress since 2019. Alain Prost believes that Renault has corrected its weaknesses.

"Yesterday, they were both satisfied with the progress we made on the chassis, with better stability, especially at the entry, which was one of the faults of the car," explained the quadruple world champion and team advisor on INFOSPORT +. “Afterwards, development will start from Melbourne, so it's a pretty good start. "

“It's a good step forward. " Renault believes that it has completed the reconstruction of Enstone, its chassis factory, with many recruits and modernized tools. The team also changed its technical department. Pat Fry became technical director and Dirk de Beer took the position of aerodynamics manager. Alain Prost believes that this work is starting to bear fruit, which will be useful in view of the 2021 regulation.

"Over the past two or three years, an incredible number of people have arrived at Enstone, the chassis department," said Prost. “They have to integrate. We have also had changes in technical management since the end of the year. We are entering a new era, a new phase. "

“The front part has changed a lot. We kept the same chassis as last year, which allows us to (...) put a lot of resources on next year. The aero part has changed a lot, it is already satisfactory, and the mechanical part, which cannot be seen, which seems to be working well. "

Alain Prost wants to wait to see the behavior of the car with more grip and in different conditions, but he is optimistic: “We are rather satisfied. As soon as we are in a positive spiral, it is a little different."

thestig84

djos wrote:
carisi2k wrote:
Blackout wrote:
vs

Surely you have that the wrong way round?! Can't see anything nearly as bulky and awkward as Renaults slapped on thin McLaren copy nose. As Blackouts pictures highlight

Blackout

Looks like they've relocated the bulkhead (driver cooling?) intakes and ducts. In 2019 they were placed at the lower corners of the bulkhead. (yellow rectangles on the pics) The white ducts look 3d printed.

The bottom pic shows the RS.18 but it's very similar to RS.19, only the shapes of the holes change.

For the S-duct, the 18 and 19 cars had 2 or 4 NACA intakes at the front of the nose (purple rectangles) but it seems the intakes are at the cape now. (Like Merc?)

RS.19
https://sf.viepratique.fr/wp-content/up ... enault.jpg

PlatinumZealot

The purpose of the slim nose is to open up space around the inboard tips of the front wing ( aka the Y250 areas) so that a better control of the wingtip votex can be realised. It seems that the bulk head area plays no part in this why they did not bother to do smooth transition.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PowerandtheGlory

thestig84 wrote:
23 Feb 2020, 16:24
djos wrote:
carisi2k wrote:

Surely you have that the wrong way round?! Can't see anything nearly as bulky and awkward as Renaults slapped on thin McLaren copy nose. As Blackouts pictures highlight
Whilst not pretty the step in the nose has little effect- remember the generation of stepped nose f1 cars. Logical to continue with an evo of last years car - for 1 more year before ‘21 rule change. That or copy a W10?
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

djos

thestig84 wrote:
23 Feb 2020, 16:24
djos wrote:
carisi2k wrote:

My bad, it looks like the bottom pic is a McLaren due to the red reflections resembling the McLaren swoosh.

That said, the shapes and cross section of that Front area are radically different (car to car) to those of last year so I think Prost is being misunderstood.
"In downforce we trust"

Blackout

The shapes and front area and cross section of the Renault bulkhead? No it's very similar to 2019. They removed the lower panel that had the cockpit cooling holes on each corner and replaced it with a full panel, so it's misleading. Both bulkheads have very similar (or identical) rectangular shape and size.