Formula CFD (MVRC spin-off)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: Formula CFD (MVRC spin-off)

Hi, the developement is going on. I am working on the general balance of the template car and on some details (brakes cooling).
I have updated the image in the second post of this thread.

Merry Christmas, see you in 2020!

CAEdevice

Hi, I did not decide the track you will race in.

My initial project would have been to race in Monza, but I did some test with AssettoCorsa and a modified F4 (F4 with additional 50hp in order to match the general behaviour of our cars) and I have the impression that it would be all about drag reduction, more than efficiency.

My intention is to choose a track where efficiency matters, that requires no extreme downforce but also no extreme drug reduction. Maybe SPA? I think that the opinion of Richard (Machin) would be precious about his point (the general specifications of the car are in the first post).

CAEdevice

Hi, happy new year!

Here is the OpenFOAM case folder with the simulation of the test car.
I would like to share it to give you an idea of the car template I am working on (the 3D rulebook will be available later). Your opinions and suggestions will be very useful.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gn590wqoqlbty ... 8.zip?dl=0

I also would like to check the simulation and complete the MFlow template: the one LDVH provided me some weeks ago works very well, I only have this doubts:

1) How can I obtain a measure of the average pressure (or pressure integral) on the brakes monitoring surfaces?
2) I would like to have 2 templates with the same mesh, the official one with 4000 iterations, the second with only 2500 iterations (I know I can set the iteration from inside MFlow)
3) Could someone check the CoP results? The ideal CoP is 1560mm, but I am not sure about cl.A "front" and "rear" values I see in the HTML report.

Finally: I updated the mechanics of the car you will have to dress /the philosophy is: more simulation/template realism less written rules.

PS: The test car has lots of weak points, but this time I did not tried to design a fast car, only a test car for the preliminary simulations and to test the future rulebook.

Koldskaal

Nice!
I had a look at the project, something does seem off about CoP and the Clf Clr values. Liftcoeffs. shows more downforce on the front. But the CoP is more towards the rear 🤔.

On the overall design/how to regulate the car I have the following comments:
You wrote in the first post that the floor is inspired by the 2021 regs. So that is what i am basing some of these suggestions on.
* The outer edgee of the 2021 floor are more sculpted
* Fences are only allowed within the red area, not along the entire lenght of the floor.
* The 2021 regs have a predefined venturi tunnel (blue lines).

* You are only allowed a vertical wall between the rearwheel and the venturi tunnel.
* The lower beam wing only spans the width of the venturi, with endplates connecting to the wider rear wing.

I guess the primary thing is to define the floor such that one cannot inject fresh air into the tunnel. You could avoid this by making everything inside the "floor volume" one part, that may not contain apertures. I have made a suggestion for how the floor volume might look, as a simplified miniaturized version of the 2021 regs:
Step file download link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
These are all just suggestions, you decide in the end. :D
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

CAEdevice

Hi Christian, thanks for your suggestions. The floor will be inspired by F1 2021, but there will be more design freedom. The rear wing will be even more free.

About the CoP I have the same doubts, only LDVH/Mflow can help.

CAEdevice

Hello everyone, here I am back. I apologize for the long absence, I had some extra work mishaps.

The car template is ready and the software supplied by MantiumCAE works well, I just have to write the rules.

I am fighting between the hypothesis of starting March 1st (submissions after 1 month), or of allowing development over a much longer period, assuming to end of December 2020.
My intention is not to interfere with MVRC races.

etsmc

I would prefer a longer development time but it depend on when MVRC may be starting up.
I think it is usual for one off races to have a long development period when the vehicles are not used/developed in any other series.

CAEdevice

etsmc wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 04:42
I would prefer a longer development time but it depend on when MVRC may be starting up.
I think it is usual for one off races to have a long development period when the vehicles are not used/developed in any other series.
Hi etmsc, I confirm that the race (submission date) will be postponed to the end of December 2020. I could have been ready to schedule the race during summer but the overlapping with MVRC "hot" phase would have been a problem.

There will be some overlapping development with MVRC, but I am working on a strong differentiation of the technical rules and car template.

I also have good news: new simulated features will be added and I will accept more teams than initially planned.

Koldskaal

CAEdevice wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 22:05
I also have good news: new simulated features will be added and I will accept more teams than initially planned.
Fan cars confirmed 😍 or brake cooling? what kinds of features are we talking about

CAEdevice

Koldskaal wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 22:22
CAEdevice wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 22:05
Fan cars confirmed 😍 or brake cooling? what kinds of features are we talking about
Brake cooling for sure... but what do you mean with "fan cars"?

Koldskaal

CAEdevice wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 23:22
I mean a Chaparral or Murray style fan car, like:

CAEdevice

Koldskaal wrote:
23 Feb 2020, 16:29
CAEdevice wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 23:22
I mean a Chaparral or Murray style fan car, like:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... an_car.jpg
Definetly not in my plans :)

CAEdevice

Hi everybody,

this message is just to tell you the the project has not been abandoned and it is still (slowly) going on.
To avoid any overlapping with Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge, the duration will be distributed over a longer period and the "opensource" approach will be increased.

The goal is to provide mechanics and frame detailed enough to require very few, volume-based, rules.
I hope I can count on the support of MantiumFlow and Competition Car Engineering (also as competitors).

The roadmap will be released shortly.

variante

The car is coming out nicely!
Having all the mechanical elements layed down (rather than boxes) is a good approach, and the great design freedom sounds pretty interesting.
Now i just need to find the time for this challenge too :D

CAEdevice

variante wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 19:23
The car is coming out nicely!
Having all the mechanical elements layed down (rather than boxes) is a good approach, and the great design freedom sounds pretty interesting.
Now i just need to find the time for this challenge too :D
I don't want this project to overlap with MVRC, so the duration of the development of the car (considering that there will be no races but a single chronometric reference) could be distributed over a very long time, even 12-24 months