[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Zynerji wrote:
the EDGE wrote:
23 Feb 2020, 20:44
Zynerji wrote:
23 Feb 2020, 20:35

Closer racing = better races to watch.
Formula 2 is close racing... watch that

F1 is about more than close racing
Everyone disagrees on what F1 is "about".

Sport, business, marketing, competition.

But eyeballs attached to it is the final meteic.
And contrary to popular believe, there are more eyeballs on it nowadays than ever... And that’s with very poor close racing and one team dominating.

That should tell us there is more to F1 than just that piece.

I for one I’m not that bothered by the midfield teams been able to buy parts from other teams, the reality is that by doing so, they are subjecting themselves to stay in the midfield since while they are copying and using “1 year old” parts, with how fast Formula 1 evolves and develops, they will find it very hard to be fighting for more than midfield positions that way... At the same time, it should allow teams to not be as far from the top as we have experienced with backmarkers in the last couple decades and hopefully it will also prevent teams at the back from having to disappear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

the EDGE wrote:
23 Feb 2020, 18:06
diffuser wrote:
23 Feb 2020, 17:53
In general I'm not a fan of what they're allowing RP an AT do but it would be nice to see RP finish ahead of RB.

I got distracted ... I wanted to say "it would be painfull to watch AT and RP finish ahead of Renault". Renault, a team that build it's own chassis and PU. Makes me kind of wish McLaren had partnered with them.
F1 teams should not be allowed to sell non-listed parts to other teams, if they can’t make them themselves they should have to acquire from independent suppliers
This ☝️
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Jackles-UK

If the grid wasn’t so polarised on performance nobody would allow/want to run “copy” cars. The issue we have is that the top three teams are outspending even traditionally “big” teams like McLaren & Renault by a massive margin which means two things:

a) we have a really distinct two-tier grid which makes it impossible for small teams to be competitive/survive without this model (Williams do not do this and look at their plight recently), and ...

b) top teams are able to sell their parts safe in the knowledge that the performance gain will not affect them as they are already so far ahead. If buying listed parts halved a 0.5s gap rather than a 1.5s gap the big boys would never allow it.

I don’t blame the likes of Haas, AT & RP at all, it’s the easiest and most cost effective way of getting up the grid (it’s arguably the biggest ‘silver bullet’ of the turbo-hybrid era) but it will only ever get them to within about 1.0s of the top teams - it’s not McLaren’s fight. McLaren want to be one of the ones selling their hand-me-downs as race winners to the small teams and copying others will never get you to that level.

mwillems

It's been mentioned in this Forum that the Racing point Mercedes clone is a development dead end.
In a video posted on the Merc Twitter feed, James Allison says otherwise.

https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/statu ... 5457113091

Not saying RP can develop it, but food for thought.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

JRindt

Come on guys. Not to be a wise ass, but can we stay on the topic please?

I think there are other threads to discuss the Tracing point PW10 and the general sorry state of F1.

McG

mwillems wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 00:47
It's been mentioned in this Forum that the Racing point Mercedes clone is a development dead end.

I'm quite surprised by RP becoming another B Team and it's very strange seeing the Merc in pink! Looks nice! It has worked out very well for them this way I think, for Merc and RP If it continues into the future Merc will have extra data like Ferrari utilise Haas for. Or have Merc already been doing it with them or Williams?

I was wrong about Renault vs McLaren in 2019 but I think McLaren are now seriously back on track, a really nice team. So I think McLaren will be safe from every one of these B teams, especially in the future. Who the hell knows what will happen though.
F1 is dead.

mwillems

McG wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 06:16
mwillems wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 00:47

I'm quite surprised by RP becoming another B Team and it's very strange seeing the Merc in pink! Looks nice! It has worked out very well for them this way I think, for Merc and RP If it continues into the future Merc will have extra data like Ferrari utilise Haas for. Or have Merc already been doing it with them or Williams?

I was wrong about Renault vs McLaren in 2019 but I think McLaren are now seriously back on track, a really nice team. So I think McLaren will be safe from every one of these B teams, especially in the future. Who the hell knows what will happen though.
I dont feel your confidence yet, but then I dont doubt McLaren either. This week will tell us a lot. Correlation seems to be good for the parts brought last week, so I hope that the big updates for this week bring us some good speed.

S3 is still a concern though.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

Every team has sister team for development why not for Mercedes? Hence Racing point. I don't see any issue with it.

diffuser

I don't think McLaren will develop this car deep into the season. So if the car isn't at the the "Super-B" level early you can pretty much kiss the year goodbye. If they do develop longer, they will be at a disadvantage for next year. I read here that RP, they aren't doing much development beyond Melbourne.

godlameroso

There are parts that will carry over. Particularly the transmission which will be homologated for quite some time.

2021 chassis preparation involves getting the rear end sorted as that will be the biggest performance differentiator..

The front end minus suspension is pretty much spec. With only the floor fences and details being the biggest performance differences regarding body work.
Saishū kōnā

bosyber
bosyber

Brown did say at the launch that they wouldn't just switch early as they felt showing good progress, and getting/staying in touch with the top would be more important in their phase of renewing/building the team, didn't he?

diffuser

OK, I will clarify. I don't think they will develope the 2020 car's aero for very long.

That being said, I still find it interesting on how tall the floor enterance in the barge area is. Almost like they've used some of the development for 2021 onto 2020. It's more than doubled in hight from 2019.

M840TR
M840TR

diffuser wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 18:56
OK, I will clarify. I don't think they will develope the 2020 car's aero for very long.

That being said, I still find it interesting on how tall the floor enterance in the barge area is. Almost like they've used some of the development for 2021 onto 2020. It's more than doubled in hight from 2019.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERIdc6yXsAE ... name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERIT1BeWoAAwmfb.jpg
It was noticeable at the launch as well and seems like a decent development. I'm not sure how it compares with other teams though (someone please do a side-by-side comparison photo) but I reckon the extra wheelbase has allowed them more freedom in the floor area to exploit for aero.

M840TR
M840TR

bosyber wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 18:48
Brown did say at the launch that they wouldn't just switch early as they felt showing good progress, and getting/staying in touch with the top would be more important in their phase of renewing/building the team, didn't he?
It all depends on relative pace. If they can clear the midfield in Melbourne they'll shift all resources right away. Otherwise not. Objective is to secure 4th.

McG

McLaren traditionally develop pretty close to full capability even at the end of a rule set.
F1 is dead.