Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
SiLo

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

What issues?
Felipe Baby!

Capharol

SiLo wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 15:40
What issues?
they had some on the 2nd day of testing (with Bottas and Latifi)... like Ferrari and Honda (Honda checked their engine and used it further, Merc and Ferrari didn't)

SiLo

Ah yes, wasn't the Bottas one hydraulics? I believe Ferrari were the only to replace the engine?
Felipe Baby!

ncx
ncx

SiLo wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 16:54
Ah yes, wasn't the Bottas one hydraulics? I believe Ferrari were the only to replace the engine?
A sensor in BOT 's PU signalled overheating and then they sent it to Brackley for checks. VET's PU had a lubrication oil leak*.

*in cylinder, apparently.

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/test- ... e/4693134/

bosyber

ncx wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 17:11
SiLo wrote:
A sensor in BOT 's PU signalled overheating and then they sent it to Brackley for checks. VET's PU had a lubrication oil leak*.

Useful info, thanks.

Since Mercedes have been talking about working hard to make sure they could run the engine hotter, it would make sense they need to check such a signal thoroughly, wouldn't it?! As I understand it, they probably had worked on removing hot spots in the PU, which might well need some further effort to get completely done, so this might be a sign of that.

De Jokke

Hmm, the posted article suggests that Merc played down the issues but that it was in fact more severe than they let on...
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

LM10

SiLo wrote:
Mercedes replaced the engine too, according to Mark Hughes.

bosyber

De Jokke wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 17:50
Hmm, the posted article suggests that Merc played down the issues but that it was in fact more severe than they let on...
Where in the it.motorpsort article do you read that Mercedes problem was more troublesome than the team let on? My reading of a (translation) of it does not give that impression really. The remark that it is interesting that the three top/works teams are affected by a PU issue, while their customers are not which suggests they are playing on the knife-edge is the most notable.

De Jokke

"But while Mercedes appeared to run without drama, Motorsport.com has learned that the electrical problems that stopped Bottas on the second day of testing were more terminal than original indicated. In fact, the power unit itself was broken and had to be replaced."

https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/merce ... t/4692245/
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

Just_a_fan

Isn't that why they go testing? To find out the weaknesses and fix them, just as much as to check the aero results.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Phlumbert

De Jokke wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 00:01
"But while Mercedes appeared to run without drama, Motorsport.com has learned that the electrical problems that stopped Bottas on the second day of testing were more terminal than original indicated. In fact, the power unit itself was broken and had to be replaced."

https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/merce ... t/4692245/

According to the It.motorsport article, it had to be replaced because a temp sensor was triggered:
The world champion team sent the power unit to Brackley which was replaced Thursday afternoon after Bottas stopped in the Barcelona tests, due to overheating in the hybrid signaled by a sensor. The trouble has been identified and does not worry Stella's technicians.
We don't really know how 'terminal' the issue was until Mercedes figure out if something legitimately overheated or if it was just a false sensor reading.

I wonder what happened in Latifi's case though.

etusch

bosyber wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 17:17
ncx wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 17:11
SiLo wrote:

Useful info, thanks.

Since Mercedes have been talking about working hard to make sure they could run the engine hotter, it would make sense they need to check such a signal thoroughly, wouldn't it?! As I understand it, they probably had worked on removing hot spots in the PU, which might well need some further effort to get completely done, so this might be a sign of that.
Generally mercedes were not top.of sheet at first test but this time they were. Maybe because of cooling test they forced their engine. In some stage they put another small hole on sidepod. Last year it was their only weak point was cooling but it seems to me that they still have same issues. If they have issues with cooling in winter it is a real problem during summer.

Just_a_fan

etusch wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 13:00
In some stage they put another small hole on sidepod. Last year it was their only weak point was cooling but it seems to me that they still have same issues. If they have issues with cooling in winter it is a real problem during summer.
When did they add a hole? Where was the hole added?

etusch

Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 13:11
etusch wrote:
In some stage they put another small hole on sidepod. Last year it was their only weak point was cooling but it seems to me that they still have same issues. If they have issues with cooling in winter it is a real problem during summer.
Just downside of sidepod inlet. It was said it is for electronics cooling.

Just_a_fan

etusch wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 13:37
Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 13:11
etusch wrote:
Just downside of sidepod inlet. It was said it is for electronics cooling.
That was there at launch and appears to replace a duct that previously opened in the bottom lip of the sidepod entry. That's not an indication of a cooling problem, merely a different approach to cooling existing electronics items.