Red Bull RB16

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Pyrone89

Re: Red Bull RB16

Diesel wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 22:18
It's mostly the steering rack & track rods that have moved back, rather than the whole suspension. As others have mentioned, it looks like it's allowed them to narrow the nose. It does potentially make rebuilding the front end a bit more complex, which might be a problem if one of the drivers bins it before qualifying.

I wonder if this allows them to repackage the front and swap the outer bulkhead without a crash test? i.e. quickly rework the steering system to integrate DAS.
Could indeed help because normally changes to the bulk head are trouble for crash testimg, but since it is now deeper inside the monocoque it could be less of a headache crash test wise. However, other factors may make the implementation difficult.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

godlameroso

There are numerous benefits to the dual bulkhead, beyond merely slimming the nose. What happens when you move the suspension further back in the chassis? What happens when you space the wishbone mounting points? There's less force acting on the rear leg of the wishbones. This leads to more precision with the toe curve as a result of ride height.
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

The only thing dual about it is that the steering rack has moved inside. Hmm. The suspension and the like is far back as the Mercedes plus a little more. The little horns now go where the pushrods were. The Y250 vortex and surrounding structures now have way more space and less disturbance.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

godlameroso

A more precise toe curve lets you be more aggressive with curbs, and it's inherent in the chassis. It was one of the modifications Honda made to the S2000, it increased bushing thickness for less compliance, and widened the distance between the rear pick up points on the subframe. This allowed much more precise rear suspension which had much less inherent bump steer.
Saishū kōnā

Blackout

The is no dual bulkhead guys, it's just an expression, a metaphor. :mrgreen: All RB did is displace the steering mechanism and the hydraulic fluid collectors from the classic real bulkhead that we all know, to the inside of the cell and place them on a virtual secondary bulkhead, a cassette :P the internal suspension components remain at the usual spot. The monocoque might be a bit longer and it has a thinner bulkhead thanks to these change now. And the lower wishbone forward mounting point is more forward.
https://i.imgur.com/AhUTOHp.jpg

MartijnA3
MartijnA3

And if I understand correctly, because the lower front arm is one single piece (nothing to do with wheel tethers), the forces applied on the monocoque are greatly reduced, so this allowed Red Bull to make the tub smaller.

What I am curious about is the following: Would is be possible for the lower suspension arm to move from left to right, wthing the fairing? It doesn't seem fixed inside the monocoque.

jagunx51

gandharva wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 15:04
SiLo wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 14:38
Is there a top down picture that shows how much the suspension has moved?
Not 100% perfectly matched, but you can see that the change is significant:
https://cdn.imgchest.com/files/8b49zcvojyw.gif
can u make it a side-by-side comparison, it's dizzy :D
............!!!!

Morteza

Via Motorsport.com
Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

AMG.Tzan

I was watching Albon's fastest lap on the C2 tires!

Car looked so stable everywhere...and for sure he left some lap time in the last sector! Maybe it has to do with fuel loads of course but still impressive!

Any updates for this week?? Do we have any info?? :)
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Bandit1216

Why do they have the logo of that other energy drink on their halo? :?
But just suppose it weren't hypothetical.

Sombrero
Sombrero

Flow vis ?

PlatinumZealot

Bandit1216 wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 15:32
Why do they have the logo of that other energy drink on their halo? :?
=D> haha
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

michl420
michl420

2 positiv Things i see for the new steering Arrangement. Better leverage, because of more distance to the Pivot Point and the weight is more by the car center mass. A beneftit of this mounting of the lower wishbone could be more stiffness, because the havy Forces of the outside Wheel going through two mounting Points.

Morteza

Engine cover comparison
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

daniellammers
daniellammers

Morteza wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 18:40
Engine cover comparison
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERtzXoyXkAAs_EV.jpg
Some extra ££££ from Honda?
You won't catch me driving a race car that I have built.

- Colin Chapman