Mercedes W11

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
carisi2k

Re: Mercedes W11

bigpat wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 01:28
I think by next week, DAS will be old news, as the teams potentially bolt on their latest tweaks prior to Melbourne.

From the noises coming from Mercedes, DAS is the tip of the iceberg. James Allison says they have done some structural changes to the front uprights, and the rear sweeping lower rear wishbones logically help air flow through the coke section between the rear wheels.

Unlike DAS, this rear end geometry will likely be a full season advantage, as the rear end suspension, and gear case requires a full redesign to accommodate it. This, and the bits we can't see yet will be of most interest through the season.
Spot on. I think Red Bull actually may be the only team that could do DAS early in the season with there rapid prototyping capabilities and that front end concept that they have. It is the rear suspension of the Mercedes that will help them early in the year. Only the RB16 looks fast and complicated enough to make Mercedes worry about those 7th championships. Although I suppose we will see if Ferrari bring some upgrades to test 2.

rohan

Am surprised that the FIA are leaning towards DAS being legal - in my view (as someone who has been interviewed as a technical expert in Autosport) it's clearly against the rules, but of course only the FIA's view matters.

Dazed1

rohan wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 19:41
Am surprised that the FIA are leaning towards DAS being legal - in my view (as someone who has been interviewed as a technical expert in Autosport) it's clearly against the rules, but of course only the FIA's view matters.
Well, I'm convinced! :lol:

Just_a_fan

It's not a technical issue - it's a legality issue. It's about how the rules define things, and what they specifically ban. If it isn't specifically banned then one has to demonstrate that it's the same something that's specifically banned. Otherwise it's legal.

The fact that the 2021 rules have been framed to specifically ban this type of system by carefully wording the relevant rule, tells us that the current rules don't ban it now. Thus, it's legal.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

carisi2k wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 08:35

Spot on. I think Red Bull actually may be the only team that could do DAS early in the season with there rapid prototyping capabilities and that front end concept that they have. It is the rear suspension of the Mercedes that will help them early in the year. Only the RB16 looks fast and complicated enough to make Mercedes worry about those 7th championships. Although I suppose we will see if Ferrari bring some upgrades to test 2.
The RedBull has its own clever steering alignment set up so it might actually not be possible for them to do it with their car. I guess we'll see one way or the other...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

GioKer32

Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 20:02
carisi2k wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 08:35

The RedBull has its own clever steering alignment set up so it might actually not be possible for them to do it with their car. I guess we'll see one way or the other...
Yes I think the same, RedBull maybe will not be able to copy that solution because of their innovative front end of the car.
But I also think that DAS is not what could transform a normal car into a winner one: Mercedes introduced new sidepods and a superlative rear suspension, DAS is nothing more than a detail...

Racer X

Sierra117 wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 06:05
OO7 wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 21:18
Sierra117 wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 21:07
Stuff
The 2021 tech regs ban the realignment of the wheels by any device other than the rotation of a steering wheel.
Yeah but if you can hide it well enough ... 🤓
hurril wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 21:29
Are there any proofs that this thing actually does something? Are they not in fact trolling us all up into orbit? :)
Yup, as I quoted Ross Brawn himself from many years ago, "they're focussing on the wrong end" 👽👽

I think it only affects the DRS and this whole thing is a while goose chase. like instead of a button just pull the thing and make people spend time researching something illegal and then get banned themselves from using their devices all while they get distracted from 100% focusing on 2021...
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

JoeE

Dazed1 wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 19:59
rohan wrote:
Well, I'm convinced! :lol:
Funny enough...me too

PlatinumZealot

rohan wrote:
Two different chapters.. Two totally different chapters in the regs. The steering stuff in the steering chapter and the suspension and aero stuff in their respective chapters. So in this way the parts atrributed to steering alone (the actual steering rack) are excluded from any suspension rules.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

I think DAS could make the difference in stints and thus pace. Maybe a lap or two's worth of an extra stint. Could be worth those extra seven points!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PhillipM

That's going to be the main thing, tyre management - need to reduce inside shoulder wear and drop temps? Pull the wheel back, vice versa? Push it forward.

kalinka

Racer X wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 23:16
Sierra117 wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 06:05
OO7 wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 21:18

The 2021 tech regs ban the realignment of the wheels by any device other than the rotation of a steering wheel.
Yeah but if you can hide it well enough ... 🤓
hurril wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 21:29
Are there any proofs that this thing actually does something? Are they not in fact trolling us all up into orbit? :)
Yup, as I quoted Ross Brawn himself from many years ago, "they're focussing on the wrong end" 👽👽

I think it only affects the DRS and this whole thing is a while goose chase. like instead of a button just pull the thing and make people spend time researching something illegal and then get banned themselves from using their devices all while they get distracted from 100% focusing on 2021...
You mean you didn't see the toe movement on onboards when Hamilton was operating the DAS? DRS has a dedicated button, and it has to operate much faster than you can push/pull the wheel. Also, it has to close automatically when the driver apllies the brakes at the end of the straight.

zibby43

Looks like a new rear wing without the stepped notches on the end plates.

Haven't seen a still shot yet. Can anyone confirm?

Morteza

zibby43 wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 10:07

You are correct
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

zibby43

Morteza wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 10:28
zibby43 wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 10:07

You are correct
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERsA1wIXUAEz1e7.jpg:large
Cheers!