[ 2020 ] Scuderia Alpha Tauri - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
etusch

Re: [ 2020 ] Scuderia Alpha Tauri - Honda

It would be great if they were 4th or 5th fastest team

Wouter

Interview with Franz Tost.

The Power of Dreams!

etusch

Daniil Kvyat (Car #26):

“I think today felt quite short, it was only half a day, but it was productive as we squeezed the most out of it. We had a lot of high-quality tests and tried to cover as many laps as we could, so we did well in that respect. Now we need to analyse everything and work on more tests to be ready for next week. The car feels like it’s in the ballpark and we’re still fine-tuning it like everyone else is, but the initial feeling is we’ve made some progress compared to last year. It’s hard to say how much or if it’s enough, but we’re still trying to unlock the full potential of the car, both on short and long runs.”

F1 winter testing 1 day3 with Pierre Gasly Scuderia AlphaTauri
Pierre Gasly (Car #10):

“It was a really positive afternoon, I had a few more laps in the car and completed some more tests. We managed to do all of our long run programme. Unfortunately, we had a small delay toward the end of the day which meant we couldn’t finish our performance runs, but it wasn’t too big of an issue as it was already covered by Daniil in the morning session. All in all, it was a positive three days for the team, there are a lot of things to analyse for next week, so we can find even more performance.”

Jonathan Eddolls (Chief Race Engineer):

“We completed another successful testing day in Barcelona to wrap up what has been a fairly intense three days. Daniil drove in the morning and started the day with the typical aero rake running and some further mapping work. Data analysis from last night revealed some interesting setup directions, so these were explored further during the C3 short runs in the morning to confirm the findings. We then gave Daniil the opportunity for some performance running on the C4 compound and the car behaved well in this configuration. He closed the morning with two long runs on the C2 compound, testing items to assist with tyre management to build up knowledge for the season ahead. Pierre took over the AT01 for the afternoon and planned a number of mechanical and aerodynamic tests over short and long runs. Unfortunately, we lost some test time at the end of the day as we had to renew a fixing in the floor – it was a simple part but time consuming to repair. We are already half way through track running prior to Melbourne, but we have gathered a lot of data exploring the envelope of AT01 and already have a good understanding of the behaviour and characteristics of the car. The team will spend the coming days analysing the data in detail and feeding the results into the testing matrix for the final three days of testing next week

Franz Tost (Team Principal):

“We had three very fruitful test days here in Barcelona, completing more than 100 laps every day – 384 in total – and learned a lot about the car, but we still have to work on the final setup. However, I think we are going in the right direction which is a good sign. It’s a pity we lost some track time today due to a little issue toward the end of the day, but we got a good understanding of the new aerodynamics on the car. We also ran a few long runs which meant we could get a clearer picture of tyre wear and degradation. The engineers now have a lot of data to analyse to come back well prepared next week for the second test. In general, I must say that Scuderia AlphaTauri seems to be in a good position for the upcoming year.”

Toyoharu Tanabe (Honda F1 Technical Director):

“On the final day of the first test of 2020, both our teams completed a good number of laps. For Scuderia AlphaTauri, Daniil drove in the morning and Pierre in the afternoon for a total of 121 laps. AlphaTauri continued working on optimising the PU. We now have plenty of data to analyse at the mid-point of the pre-season tests. The fine weather and the fact there were very few red flags over the past three days means that this was a very productive first test for Honda and our two teams. We now have four days until the second test and everyone back in Japan, the UK and here in Spain is going to be very busy analysing a huge quantity of data, to make a further step forward in the final three days of track time before the first race. In total, the four Honda-powered cars completed 855 laps, equivalent to a distance of 3,980.025 kilometres.

Rushu

Do client teams have party mode?
Can Aupha Tauri use it?

Wouter

Rushu wrote:
22 Feb 2020, 09:29
Do client teams have party mode?
Can Aupha Tauri use it?
I don't know about other client teams, but Honda said RBR and SAT are getting the same PU,
so I assume that both have the same "party mode". Otherwise it wouldn't be fair.
The Power of Dreams!

GhostF1

Update.

Lack of running for SAT this morning down to a loose pipe (apparently not Power Unit related), complicated to fix however they expect Gasly should be out within the next 15-20mins.

Marti_EF3

I will be uploading a few videos when I have time during today

Wouter

For Tost, whose team has worked with Honda since the start of 2018, the progress that it has made has left him impressed.

"This was a big step up," said Tost, when asked by Autosport about the development Honda has made for this season.

"We are working together the third year with them and, if you look at how the power unit is fitted into the monocoque, and if you would compare this to the first year, then there's a big difference.

"Everything is optimised: from the electric boxes to the water pumps and oil pumps, and all this kind of stuff, to get a better centre of gravity, and better weight distribution.

"This of course helps; this is a performance differentiator and they made big steps forward also from the reliability side and from the performance side."

AlphaTauri technical director Jody Egginton says that the long-term relationship with Honda has been key in helping drive forward improvements, as both team and engine supplier have a better understanding of what they need.

"They're adapting their power unit to our packaging needs," he said. "You've got a very good dynamic there, and they're always working to meet the needs of AlphaTauri and Red Bull.

"That's just gone on and on - and they're very responsive to that.

"It's allowed us to really ask a lot of questions to get the thing packaged as tightly as possible and they are being flexible to actually achieve that. So it's a sort of an evolution.

"By the time you get to the third year, your working relationships are formed, you understand the basics of their philosophy behind the power unit and it's continuity.

"And with continuity gives you the opportunity to push things a bit further and optimise things."
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14853 ... power-unit

The Power of Dreams!

etusch

We, the undersigned teams, were surprised and shocked by the FIA’s statement of Friday 28 February regarding the conclusion of its investigation into the Scuderia Ferrari Formula 1 Power Unit.
An international sporting regulator has the responsibility to act with the highest standards of governance, integrity and transparency.

After months of investigations that were undertaken by the FIA only following queries raised by other teams, we strongly object to the FIA reaching a confidential settlement agreement with Ferrari to conclude this matter.

Therefore, we hereby state publicly our shared commitment to pursue full and proper disclosure in this matter, to ensure that our sport treats all competitors fairly and equally. We do so on behalf of the fans, the participants and the stakeholders of Formula One.

In addition, we reserve our rights to seek legal redress, within the FIA’s due process and before the competent courts.

McLaren Racing Limited
Mercedes-Benz Grand Prix Limited
Racing Point UK Limited
Red Bull Racing Limited
Renault Sport Racing Limited
Scuderia AlphaTauri S.p.A.
Williams Grand Prix Engineering Limited

https://www.scuderiaalphatauri.com/en/t ... QjvhdPCrvc

ispano6

Getting ready for Australia. Hope everyone can make it.

Zynerji

I love this team and car. Could do with better drivers, but both have podiums, so I can't really complain.

2020 may be the year that we finally see direct cross team, RBR->SAT, team orders.

The driver's response will be interesting to see. Because if a win was the possible outcome, they may ignore it.

Mansell89

Zynerji wrote:
08 Mar 2020, 05:28
I love this team and car. Could do with better drivers, but both have podiums, so I can't really complain.

2020 may be the year that we finally see direct cross team, RBR->SAT, team orders.

The driver's response will be interesting to see. Because if a win was the possible outcome, they may ignore it.
Do you really believe they might have that sort of pace?

Zynerji

Mansell89 wrote:
08 Mar 2020, 14:09
Zynerji wrote:

Podiums last year means they had real pace. New car looks super well integrated. I say it's like 10% chance, but that is pretty good in F1.

etusch

DO SAY: More podiums in 2020?
Toro Rosso built up good momentum last year, and that optimism and confidence will carry over into the new season. Having scored precisely one podium in their first 13 seasons, Toro banged in two last year. Their Honda engines were getting better with each release, and the team went through the second half of the season expecting to score points at every race. That hasn’t always been the case in the past.

This year’s AT01 gives every impression of being a progressive step from last year’s STR14, and AlphaTauri’s drivers, like their counterparts at Red Bull Racing, are convinced that Honda have delivered more horsepower.
For readng whole article

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... xpEFf1QigY

Mansell89

Zynerji wrote:
08 Mar 2020, 16:23
Mansell89 wrote:
08 Mar 2020, 14:09
Zynerji wrote:

Podiums last year means they had real pace. New car looks super well integrated. I say it's like 10% chance, but that is pretty good in F1.
I’d love nothing more than the midfield joining the podium fights but last years podium was pure good fortune and they always seem to be a step behind their big brother, Red Bull Racing so it must be hard for them.

That said, the engine is improving and their drivers aren’t a bad mix (although I still think both Albon and Gasly should be in this team learning their craft)