COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
JonoNic

COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

China has already postponed their race this year, but Italy might have to do the same soon. Which other countries could be affected looking at the current virus stats? How many races needs to be run for it to be a legitimate Championship? Just some of the questions that have been through my head.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Always find the gap then use it.

DChemTech

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

I found this to be a sobering read: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... ne/607000/

COVID-19 is a virus which is not too lethal (like SARS, MERS), and possibly there are many carriers that don't have symptoms worse than a mild flu, hence don't go to a doctor, don't get checked. The people that do are, after all, the ones that are more ill already (which also means the lethality might be lower than the reported 2%).

Viruses that are not lethal or mildly so tend to spread further and be difficult to contain, because they are difficult to recognize. Which leads some health experts to expect COVID will just be a new entry to the regular flu wave. Many people will get it, the majority will not experience it as more than a minor nuisance. There are already 3 coronaviruses that can cause the 'common cold'. This would be number 4, causing a somewhat worse cold maybe.

If that all is the case, this year is gonna suck because people are in panic mode. But it also means in the long run we need to learn to live with it; we can't go on canceling life.

JonoNic

DChemTech wrote:I found this to be a sobering read: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... ne/607000/

COVID-19 is a virus which is not too lethal (like SARS, MERS), and possibly there are many carriers that don't have symptoms worse than a mild flu, hence don't go to a doctor, don't get checked. The people that do are, after all, the ones that are more ill already (which also means the lethality might be lower than the reported 2%).

Viruses that are not lethal or mildly so tend to spread further and be difficult to contain, because they are difficult to recognize. Which leads some health experts to expect COVID will just be a new entry to the regular flu wave. Many people will get it, the majority will not experience it as more than a minor nuisance. There are already 3 coronaviruses that can cause the 'common cold'. This would be number 4, causing a somewhat worse cold maybe.

If that all is the case, this year is gonna suck because people are in panic mode. But it also means in the long run we need to learn to live with it; we can't go on canceling life.
I can agree with the article. Here in China, people are so scared if they show any symptoms. You could easily be quarantined with your family and be lodged with others who may have the virus already. So people will rather take a chance and stick it out. That's when they become very sick. However, it's a fast spreading virus and the dead are cremated without a family member in attendance.

Hopefully it won't affect world sport too much.

FW17

Mugello planning to make an application next week to take the Chinese GP date. Wonder it they will go through with application considering the outbreak in Italy since the beginning if the week.

DChemTech

FW17 wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 11:10
Mugello planning to make an application next week to take the Chinese GP date. Wonder it they will go through with application considering the outbreak in Italy since the beginning if the week.
they should. by the time of the race, either the higher temperatures ended the outbreak (probably in China, too), or the entire continent is affected anyway. The current situation is not representative of what it will be in 2+ months.

SiLo

The Vietnam grand prix might be affected though. They just cancelled and international badminton tournament over there (it's very big) which is quite close to the GP host date.

Source
Felipe Baby!

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Mattchu

JonoNic wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 10:34
I can agree with the article. Here in China, people are so scared if they show any symptoms. You could easily be quarantined with your family and be lodged with others who may have the virus already. So people will rather take a chance and stick it out. That's when they become very sick. However, it's a fast spreading virus and the dead are cremated without a family member in attendance.

Stay safe bud, hopefully things become more "normal" soon...

JonoNic

Mattchu wrote:
JonoNic wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 10:34

Stay safe bud, hopefully things become more "normal" soon...
Thanks man.

oT v1

FW17 wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 11:10
Wow, the sad reasons behind this aside, I’d love to see the F1 guys going around Mugello in anger, not just for testing.

Stunning track, but maybe a bit ‘Catalunya’ in its racing quality....
The Power of Dreams

Giblet

I live in Ontario Canada, and we're pretty lucky here so far. 11 cases total in Canada, no deaths, and 5 are recovered. But yesterday I went to the local T&T Asian Market and 75% of people in the store were wearing masks. I think the Canadian GP will be fine, but also a vector for the disease with all the international travelers.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

fritticaldi

I am afraid that the situation is worsening. It seems like even the first race in Australia could be cancelled. Problems in Bahrein as well. Here is the reason. There are some countries who are banning people that originate from Italy. Teams like Ferrari, Alpha Tauri (Faenza based) and some personnel from Sauber Alfa Romeo are from the affected Northern part of Italy. Also the men and women who work with Pirelli tyres and the Italian media . Sadly, It is possible that the first race could be in Zandvoort .

nevill3

A worrying fact has emerged today, some cases have been reported that former Covid-19 positive patients who appeared to recover and test negative have been found to have tested positive again later. This would mean they have become re-infected and do not appear to have developed any immunity, much like the common cold virus.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Just_a_fan

fritticaldi wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 22:38
I am afraid that the situation is worsening. It seems like even the first race in Australia could be cancelled. Problems in Bahrein as well. Here is the reason. There are some countries who are banning people that originate from Italy. Teams like Ferrari, Alpha Tauri (Faenza based) and some personnel from Sauber Alfa Romeo are from the affected Northern part of Italy. Also the men and women who work with Pirelli tyres and the Italian media . Sadly, It is possible that the first race could be in Zandvoort .
The tyres are made in Turkey so they could be taken to the races without the Italian part of Pirelli, if necessary, assuming no new cases in Turkey (that they admit to). If teams don't turn up then I guess the FIA would say "that's your problem"?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Pyrone89

nevill3 wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 23:55
A worrying fact has emerged today, some cases have been reported that former Covid-19 positive patients who appeared to recover and test negative have been found to have tested positive again later. This would mean they have become re-infected and do not appear to have developed any immunity, much like the common cold virus.
That would basically mean and endless loop.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.