Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Marti_EF3

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 19:16
Same sort of bangs that McLaren had.
The other engines have these bangs too but in a different frequency. I could hear bangs from the Mercedes on the downshift last year when I was listenitng on a different device ( mobile with a different set of ear buds).

There is a research area on combustion stability on closing of direct injectors. Honda is probably doing something like mini-injector squirts to stabilize the combustion on quick downshifts. Costs maybe a little bit extra fuel but it pays back since the MGUH should spin up easier... I dunno.
You need to hear it live, and will see the difference. No other PU have this bangs. It's not only the frecuency, it's another thing. If you have any chance to go to a race and hear it live, you will understand. Mclaren NEVER had this bangs (I've been on preseason tests every time they've been on Barcelona, so no, Mclaren didn't had anything like that)

Marti_EF3

Marti_EF3 wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 20:00
PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 19:16
Same sort of bangs that McLaren had.
The other engines have these bangs too but in a different frequency. I could hear bangs from the Mercedes on the downshift last year when I was listenitng on a different device ( mobile with a different set of ear buds).

There is a research area on combustion stability on closing of direct injectors. Honda is probably doing something like mini-injector squirts to stabilize the combustion on quick downshifts. Costs maybe a little bit extra fuel but it pays back since the MGUH should spin up easier... I dunno.
You need to hear it live, and will see the difference. No other PU have this bangs. It's not only the frecuency, it's another thing. If you have any chance to go to a race and hear it live, you will understand. Mclaren NEVER had this bangs (I've been on preseason tests every time they've been on Barcelona, so no, Mclaren didn't had anything like that)
Do you think that's another bang frecuencies only? I was ableto hear the Honda PU coming while it was on S2 thanks to the bangs, also I was able to hear it when braking on T1 (I was in front of the last chicane) :roll:

Jaisonas

Jesus...

flexcon

I think I just came. Wow. That is fiesty.

First year not at the Barcelona tests since they arrived there and never heard this before.

Pyrone89

What the hell is that
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

seezung

https://streamable.com/y4g00

Did we ever see the honda engine spitting flames? Check the first few seconds of the video... In sync with the pop sounds

etusch

After last turn he slowed the car.
Nobody talked about that if they are burninge fuel in exhaust pipe before the tubine of turbo to spin it like jet engine?

toraabe

Could just be the old style of cooling the pistons. Like in rally. Just a splash of fuel..

dren

etusch wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 19:40
After last turn he slowed the car.
Nobody talked about that if they are burninge fuel in exhaust pipe before the tubine of turbo to spin it like jet engine?
It definitely sounds like backfire. I don't know how long the turbine would last if they were going for that effect. If I remember right, the rally cars would go thru turbos with antilag systems. It's only a couple bangs and pops, not what I'd expect if they were doing it on purpose. Toraabe seems to think it's for piston cooling.

Maybe they are doing it on purpose. The RBs have spun much more than other cars on track. Maybe Honda is still tuning it?
Honda!

etusch

They have not problems with cooling and they will not do anything to cause loss in ers. I don't know but it looks more logical to me that it must be something for more h generation

etusch

If Honda can overtake merso power wise Honda become most powerful engine I think.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferr ... t/4700615/

Bill

If ? It's forgone conclusion their rate of development have been faster than the competition and their philosophy of innovation and risk taking rather than exploitation of grey areas and poaching rivals engineers will eventually pay off.merc and Ferrari are having to learn to build an engine without using excess oil so in a way they are starting from zero.

dren

I would expect any team to exploit loopholes in the regulations. I would not expect Honda to try and 'cheat' sensors, if that's what Ferrari was even doing.

Honda had a lot higher ceiling relative to the others because they were so behind on performance so it's expected that they would develop faster. It still is a great feat by very dedicated people. I never doubted they would get there.
Honda!

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

daniellammers

It only did 500 km?
That's not even enough for 1 weekend is it?
You won't catch me driving a race car that I have built.

- Colin Chapman