Formula 1: Drive to Survive (Netflix documentation)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
nzjrs

Re: Formula 1: Drive to Survive (Netflix documentation)

Titchener wrote:
29 Feb 2020, 12:28
I had no idea about Albons mums past.
I actually thought that was a disqualifyingly bad part of the series.

Cuky

the EDGE wrote:
29 Feb 2020, 08:02
Really enjoying the insight into the teams behind the scenes but I have to wonder what, other than comical value of course, Gunther Steiner brings to Haas... it’s certainly not his motivational attitude, his knowledge or his choice in drivers
Maybe, I at least thought of that after watching first two episodes, it is not how things usually are in all of the teams and it is all just show to sell the series. I mean, in episode 1 Toto could be seen in some awkward conversation with one of engineers/mechanics which really looks like "done just for the show".

waynes

not sure if this is me being overly critical but the sound onboard isnt synced up, the over the top accident noises are still there and worst of all its so poorly edited ffs

there's one bit in episode one where a Ferrari turns left out of its garage. Pretty sure its a right turn out of the garage at Melbourne.

still only watched the first two episodes but the above stuff really irritated me, on top of the Haas love in.

RZS10

How pathetic was the bit with the gearbox failure of Haas in episode 2 where they added some countdown (god knows if it was actually taken from their team radio) and overlayed it with images of the car being worked on ... with two minutes to go they rolled in the new rear assembly, with one minute to go they put some final touches on the car and were out just in time for quali ... fake and --- drama

The " commentary" that was done just for that show as part of the narration is still there and it still sounds like it was recorded on a toilet with 1950s equipment... it's so incredibly annoying and so obviously fake ... but i've mentioned this and other things on the first page of this thread and it's still the same ---

This garbage is obviously made for a braindead netflix generation, not for people who already know the sport. It's trash TV on a level with the likes of the bachelor and temptation island tbh

p.s. Steiner is a clown.

Jip
Jip

RZS10 wrote:
29 Feb 2020, 23:41
This garbage is obviously made for a braindead netflix generation, not for people who already know the sport. It's trash TV on a level with the likes of the bachelor and temptation island tbh

p.s. Steiner is a clown.
I think you are a bit to harsh. Yes it is dramatized, but a serie needs that, especially to attract new viewers to F1. We as F1 fans notice the difference immediately, others who are new don't but it attracts them to the sport. I have only seen the first 2 episodes, but the fake commentator really annoys me. Then they use Crofty's commentary and then the fake commentator. I also notice that they pick Crofty's commentary from a completely different race and then using it for another race. And what is that with Max overtaking Vettel in Australia, that didn't happen on the last lap but they still did as if.

Yes it is dramatized sometimes, but it still gives me some insight I didn't had before, and I really like the way they've edited the show.

Wass85

Watching this makes me think maybe F1 should be part live reality TV show/sports channel, it would make the sport much more appealing. I want to hear them swear, take the piss out of people and slag them off in real time uncensored.

dxpetrov

I just finished the second episode. Can someone explain why did they spend more than one episode on Haas? Who even cares about them?! The team itself, with their drivers is a joke and this is not doing any favour to F1.

zeph

Drive To Survive got my son interested in F1. That's priceless to me, so I'm glad they're doing it. Long may it continue.

JonoNic

dxpetrov wrote:I just finished the second episode. Can someone explain why did they spend more than one episode on Haas? Who even cares about them?! The team itself, with their drivers is a joke and this is not doing any favour to F1.
American team with a name known over there. It's obvious I think
Always find the gap then use it.

bluechris

Im on the episode that has Gally and the next one that has Albon. I never liked RedBul as a team but this 2 episodes maked myself don't like them more. Damn how much pressure they puted on gasly guys? Its incredible that his mechanic braking his balls during races to push push push and Horner is really bad in making a driver to perform.

Edit: Christian horner, not Newey
Last edited by bluechris on 01 Mar 2020, 11:07, edited 1 time in total.

turbof1

bluechris wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 11:07
Im on the episode that has Gally and the next one that has Albon. I never liked RedBul as a team but this 2 episodes maked myself don't like them more. Damn how much pressure they puted on gasly guys? Its incredible that his mechanic braking his balls during races to push push push and Newey is really bad in making a driver to perform.
You should take that with a grain of salt though. Yes, the radio messages surely sounded pushy, but we don't know how many times those were ripped out of context. Overall, I think it was a good decision to put Gasly back in the Toro Rosso, where he was less under pressure and ultimately grabbed that podium.
#AeroFrodo

NathanOlder

zeph wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 07:06
Drive To Survive got my son interested in F1. That's priceless to me, so I'm glad they're doing it. Long may it continue.
Yeah my wife enjoys it. She says it makes watching the races better when you get to know how the people work and behave and get to see a bit more behind the scenes while the races are going on. So I'm happy to watch it with her, even with a million audio sync errors ect.
Last edited by NathanOlder on 01 Mar 2020, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

El Scorchio

Spot on. It’s basically a marketing exercise to get more people interested in F1. It’s got to have as broad an appeal as possible and be as dramatic as possible. (I mean the title says it all on that front, really...)It does quite a good job with what it’s trying to accomplish. As a hardcore fan you can still enjoy it as long as you have realistic expectations about what it’ll be including the acceptance that some parts really aren’t produced with you in mind. They could make a great in depth technical ultra real series but very few people would watch it.

Cuky

I agree with you El Scorchio, though someone should take care when they are editing onboard shots, especially since Netflix has access to all of the cameras. In episode one when lights go out in Melbourne we get shots from onboard cameras just in front of steering wheel looking back at the drivers. First is Ricciardo, and the pits are on the wrong side of the track (I think it is a footage from Canada), then Max, again from Canada, then Magnussen from Austria. After Ricciardo retires we get same onboard shot from Grosjean going into last chicane in Canada after which it switches to T-Cam looking backwards and him exiting T6-7 chicane, then again looking at him from in front of steering wheel while he is on start straight in Canada and then outside shot of him passing an Alfa Romeo car on braking at T14, switching to onboard looking at him entering T3 in Canada and then outside shot of him on the exit of T14 in Australia.

And that is just one example of bad editing. I know those watching who are new to F1 probably won't notice it, but it is really getting on my nerves as I am watching it when I know that they are trying to present footage taken 3-4 months apart as the footage from the same race.

the EDGE

My favourite part of the show was when Claire Williams finally arrives in the garage for pre-season testing and Paddy Lowe comes to greet her... you could tell his days were numbered when she blanks him and walks off. Wow the tension was thick in that garage