Look back: 2012 Sauber

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Zynerji

Look back: 2012 Sauber

After watching a few races on F1TV this weekend, while trying to take my mind off the market bloodbath from last week, in hindsight, I think that the 2012 Sauber could have been a multi race winner if a top tier driver had been behind the wheel. Japan stands out most. If Alonso was in that car, he could have won.

What's everyone's view on this? Was the Sauber that year capable of much more?

PS: miss that V8.

Racer X

Re: Look back: 2012 Sauber

Zynerji wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 01:11
After watching a few races on F1TV this weekend, while trying to take my mind off the market bloodbath from last week, in hindsight, I think that the 2012 Sauber could have been a multi race winner if a top tier driver had been behind the wheel. Japan stands out most. If Alonso was in that car, he could have won.

What's everyone's view on this? Was the Sauber that year capable of much more?

PS: miss that V8.

Dont think so Ferrari McLaren and Redbull were extremely strong at the time what gave Perez those solid runnings was his ability with the tires and strategy he didnt pit the same as others stayed out and made the tires last a bit longer which is what put him in a lucky spot to catch thing when the Top 6 cars failed. If the top 6 Cars would have had a perfect season maybe Sergio would have gotten 3 to 4 7th places. Top 10 regular perhaps but i dont think the car was why. It was a mix of luck and solid driving.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Zynerji

Re: Look back: 2012 Sauber

4 podiums tho...