Formula 1: Drive to Survive (Netflix documentation)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
SmallSoldier

Re: Formula 1: Drive to Survive (Netflix documentation)

My family thoroughly enjoyed both seasons... As stated above, my wife in particular is now more interested in something that used to be just “my thing” at home... Even my little one is showing a little more interest in Formula 1.

Yes, there are a few issues, but from an entertainment stand point, the show does a good job... I do believe that with a season long footage there are several other stories that could have made the cut and that would have been fun to see, there has to be enough footage out there for those also... But the stories that they did touch upon where also interesting ones and probably the most relevant ones through the season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JonoNic

Are we going to hear about the Ferrari and FIA settlement in a future season? Lol
Always find the gap then use it.

Racer X

Im 100% sure ive asked already but i cant find my post was Racing Point excluded from season 2?

https://f1i.com/news/369272-verstappen- ... tflix.html

Max did not appreciate the way they portrayed him.
JonoNic wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 00:52
Are we going to hear about the Ferrari and FIA settlement in a future season? Lol
It will just be erased the way they erased Racing Point.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Starscreamer

Racer X wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 01:13
Im 100% sure ive asked already but i cant find my post was Racing Point excluded from season 2?

JonoNic wrote:
He is nice and spontaneous in real life.
Here he seems more like the bad guy :twisted:
#33 2 THE MAX 3RSTAPP3N
***WORLD CHAMPION 2021, 2022 & 2023

DChemTech

Starscreamer wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 09:11
Racer X wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 01:13

JonoNic wrote:
He is nice and spontaneous in real life.
Here he seems more like the bad guy :twisted:
I don't think drive to survive had any role in cementing that image though :P

woohoo

Having seen the whole lot, I am not only disappointed, but also a tad dismayed by the series.

The first episode is an intro to an intro to an intro and so on. So lest just forget it.

The rest of it, it seems that the producer has focused more in presenting a well polished reality show with beautiful camera angles, sound bite quotes and drama than telling any kind of story, F1 or otherwise.

Apart from the Gasly/Albon story it felt they just dropped "the story" of each episode halfway.
So, Mercedes lost Lauda, and had a terrible race in Germany. What about their comeback? -not told.
Haas has problems developing a car, and drivers hit each other in Silverstone - then what happened?
Williams does not have a car ready for the first test, but it eventually arrives for the test, and Paddy is fired - and then what?

Even such a small thing such as, in the Williams episode someone says "these new mirrors are the winner" and Claire laughs. In reality Williams had to remove the mirrors before arriving in Australia. Why is this not mentioned, it would be a real good point to make to drive home the disfunction in the team before the season ?

Some drivers and teams are completely absent from any of the episodes, and even if they are, their stories are not told very well.
And it seems only drivers and team managers matter. Apart from the Williams debacle, there nothing about the technical aspects, or the strategy or anything like that. How about an episode reviewing a winning / losing tire strategy? How about a segment with Adrian Newey about aerodynamics vs. engine power? There is so much that could have been covered, instead we get to see the Horner household eating breakfast.

As others have already mentioned, there is a lot of over dramatisation and over editing (fake sound effects, clips from various races put together etc.) which means it can no longer be called a documentary but is just a collection of soap.

My dismay comes from the fact that Netflix had access t a world that is hidden far far away, and yet chose to produce this utter tripe of a soap opera of style over substance.
And the American style editing is just to annoying to stomach.
The only way to close a stupid question is to give a smart answer

Noble29

woohoo wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 15:49
Having seen the whole lot, I am not only disappointed, but also a tad dismayed by the series.

The first episode is an intro to an intro to an intro and so on. So lest just forget it.

The rest of it, it seems that the producer has focused more in presenting a well polished reality show with beautiful camera angles, sound bite quotes and drama than telling any kind of story, F1 or otherwise.

Apart from the Gasly/Albon story it felt they just dropped "the story" of each episode halfway.
So, Mercedes lost Lauda, and had a terrible race in Germany. What about their comeback? -not told.
Haas has problems developing a car, and drivers hit each other in Silverstone - then what happened?
Williams does not have a car ready for the first test, but it eventually arrives for the test, and Paddy is fired - and then what?

Even such a small thing such as, in the Williams episode someone says "these new mirrors are the winner" and Claire laughs. In reality Williams had to remove the mirrors before arriving in Australia. Why is this not mentioned, it would be a real good point to make to drive home the disfunction in the team before the season ?

Some drivers and teams are completely absent from any of the episodes, and even if they are, their stories are not told very well.
And it seems only drivers and team managers matter. Apart from the Williams debacle, there nothing about the technical aspects, or the strategy or anything like that. How about an episode reviewing a winning / losing tire strategy? How about a segment with Adrian Newey about aerodynamics vs. engine power? There is so much that could have been covered, instead we get to see the Horner household eating breakfast.

As others have already mentioned, there is a lot of over dramatisation and over editing (fake sound effects, clips from various races put together etc.) which means it can no longer be called a documentary but is just a collection of soap.

My dismay comes from the fact that Netflix had access t a world that is hidden far far away, and yet chose to produce this utter tripe of a soap opera of style over substance.
Completely agree with all this. The 'lies' that are told by specifically playing radio messages at a time that aren't correct (making Max's move on Hamilton seem like it was on the last lap for example) seem like an insult to someone who knows what actually happened.

No mention of Charlie Whiting? No mention of the Canada incident? No mention of Renault dsq from Japan? No mention of Kvyat podium at Germany despite all he's been through? No mention of the Ferrari engine debate raging on? I know obviously they filmed certain teams at certain points but still feels like certain things could have made it in in some shape or form, especially over 10 episodes.

And as you said, lots of 'plots' that never materialise into any proper substance except for Albon and Gasly.

Overall very disappointed with the direction of the series. Just seems to cater to the more uneducated fan who only cares about Ricciardo, Verstappen and the Haas mess etc without really caring much for the sport itself.

flexcon

The other half loves it. She wouldn't be found near an F1 race this time last year. Now she is joining me on two.

Loves riccardo and adores Albon.

Thumbs up from me who loves the technical aspect of it. Anything that makes the sport bigger and fans closer is a win-win

Redragon

the EDGE wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 09:56
zeph wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 09:04
I thought they made a compelling human-interest story. Yes, they lay it on way thick, but if it helps revive interest in F1, all good.

Re: the last episode, I now think Hamilton let Gasly have P2, somehow.
I find it absolutely bizarre Hamilton couldn't pass Gasley... but I think what your suggesting is a step too far
He knew is gonna be penalised at the end of the race, so why take the risk of maybe crashing a second time and destroy the race of another young driver, specially when all have been won, pilot as team worldchampionship

flexcon

Redragon wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 17:14
the EDGE wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 09:56
zeph wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 09:04
I thought they made a compelling human-interest story. Yes, they lay it on way thick, but if it helps revive interest in F1, all good.

Re: the last episode, I now think Hamilton let Gasly have P2, somehow.
I find it absolutely bizarre Hamilton couldn't pass Gasley... but I think what your suggesting is a step too far
He knew is gonna be penalised at the end of the race, so why take the risk of maybe crashing a second time and destroy the race of another young driver, specially when all have been won, pilot as team worldchampionship
This was covered in both Mercedes and honda threads. All weekend Gasly was about 6Kph faster up that hill without DRS. Hamilton did not have DRS when he was attempting to overtake Gasly. You can see initially he had great traction out of the corner but once you hit 6th gear stalemate. Even on the top end of 8th gear, the Honda pulled an extra few cm.

It was Drag. All evidence points to Drag.

Redragon

Noble29 wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 16:14
woohoo wrote:

Completely agree with all this. The 'lies' that are told by specifically playing radio messages at a time that aren't correct (making Max's move on Hamilton seem like it was on the last lap for example) seem like an insult to someone who knows what actually happened.

No mention of Charlie Whiting? No mention of the Canada incident? No mention of Renault dsq from Japan? No mention of Kvyat podium at Germany despite all he's been through? No mention of the Ferrari engine debate raging on? I know obviously they filmed certain teams at certain points but still feels like certain things could have made it in in some shape or form, especially over 10 episodes.

And as you said, lots of 'plots' that never materialise into any proper substance except for Albon and Gasly.

Overall very disappointed with the direction of the series. Just seems to cater to the more uneducated fan who only cares about Ricciardo, Verstappen and the Haas mess etc without really caring much for the sport itself.
The series is not designed from the technical side, it was already clear on season 1, it is design to attract other kind of audience that it is not already following F1. I see it as a good reminder of what it was the season towards the new season and also catch with some great shots, like the POV pilots cameras which had great detail when pilots reacting and are just passengers in accidents. They are aware of the angle they heading of as the best of the whole season is the 2 sec where Kyviat mentions Netflix is avoiding him, it is a inside joke of the production team ( Which would have been a great addition to the Gasly, Albon drama and make it a bit more interesting)

Mr.G

Redragon wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 17:23
Noble29 wrote:
woohoo wrote:

The series is not designed from the technical side, it was already clear on season 1, it is design to attract other kind of audience that it is not already following F1. I see it as a good reminder of what it was the season towards the new season and also catch with some great shots, like the POV pilots cameras which had great detail when pilots reacting and are just passengers in accidents. They are aware of the angle they heading of as the best of the whole season is the 2 sec where Kyviat mentions Netflix is avoiding him, it is a inside joke of the production team ( Which would have been a great addition to the Gasly, Albon drama and make it a bit more interesting)
True, true, I totally agree...

I will be probably down voted for this, but reading the first two quotes it came in to mine mind that people like this actually hurt the sport...
How they can not see anything positive on this?!? I understand it's not the best and it's not for everyone, but for sure it's not total crap too...
The series for sure made more good for the sport than the two persons (or persons like them)...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Noble29

All the series does is try and attract a new audience, I know that, and there's a few small sections that do cater to the more serious fan, as I do enjoy knowing about all the behind the scenes stuff. But it's the dumbing down of a lot of aspects to help attract a new audience, which for me, is what is 'ruining' F1. I know times change and what not, but for me personally, the catering for a new audience is hurtful to a section of audience it already has.

If F1 cares about gaining a new audience instead of retaining parts of its current audience then so be it, as loyalty across many walks of life seems to be of less and less value these days.

Edit* I guess my mine gripe is I just was hoping for a little bit more for the more 'hardcore' fan but maybe I should realise this series just isn't going to be what I was hoping.
I shouldn't be 'upset' with a series trying to attract a new audience. I understand that. Think I maybe just come across as a Mr Grumpy haha. As the saying goes, each to their own!
Last edited by Steven on 14 Jul 2020, 21:22, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed quoted post just above

DChemTech

Mr.G wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 17:56
Redragon wrote:
Noble29 wrote:

True, true, I totally agree...

I will be probably down voted for this, but reading the first two quotes it came in to mine mind that people like this actually hurt the sport...
How they can not see anything positive on this?!? I understand it's not the best and it's not for everyone, but for sure it's not total crap too...
The series for sure made more good for the sport than the two persons (or persons like them)...
Yesterday there was a writer on Dutch TV who, as a contribution for the annual 'book week', made a pamphlet about how writers/literary reviewers are destroying literature by creating an in-crowd, 'determining' what literature is, reviewing eachothers work, giving eachother prizes, and looking down upon books/authors consumed by the general public - as well as anyone who dares to stand up for them. The response: some more literary bookstores want the pamphlet banned, exactly living up to the thing they were made out to be.

I guess every community has some of that. :P Anyway, I don't have an issue with the Netflix series as is. By far most people want to watch a race for some entertainment and have no interest in the surrounding technical matter. That's fine. And it was a good "o yeah, that happened" show, even though (and that I do find a bit nasty) some edits suggested events took place at different times, as mentioned above.

Mr.G

Noble29 wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 18:06
Mr.G wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 17:56
Redragon wrote:
Not going to downvote or anything as it's a site for debate, we're all allowed an opinion, but I would consider it a poor reflection on F1 if a fan since a child has an opinion which is considered hurtful to the sport currently.

All the series does is try and attract a new audience, I know that, and there's a few small sections that do cater to the more serious fan, as I do enjoy knowing about all the behind the scenes stuff. But it's the dumbing down of a lot of aspects to help attract a new audience, which for me, is what is 'ruining' F1. I know times change and what not, but for me personally, the catering for a new audience is hurtful to a section of audience it already has.

If F1 cares about gaining a new audience instead of retaining parts of its current audience then so be it, as loyalty across many walks of life seems to be of less and less value these days.

Edit* I guess my mine gripe is I just was hoping for a little bit more for the more 'hardcore' fan but maybe I should realise this series just isn't going to be what I was hoping.
I shouldn't be 'upset' with a series trying to attract a new audience.
I understand that. Think I maybe just come across as a Mr Grumpy haha. As the saying goes, each to their own!
Well, good to know ;)
For me personally, I would like to have a very technical ("engineering porn") series but even I would be really happy, my wife wouldn't watch it... For now we have this and I try to take as much from it as possible (with some real filter) and maybe in future we will have some as you called it "hardcore fan series" (even if it's on YouTube only)...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts