F1 2020 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
LM10

Re: F1 2020 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Tire selection for Melbourne. As the thread is not opened yet, I'll post it here.

Bill

A pu that unreliable and running detuned can't be deemed better than the competition.merc has oil issues. Mguh issues. Electrical problems .there problems don't stem from one area if testing is anything to go by.the rapid development rate (the amount of horsepower a team find per unit time ) of Honda or suspicious Ferrari spooked them ,they had to push the extra miles to Find horses and that comes with consequences.they have two weeks to find solutions, realistically they need half a season.

GPR-A

Bill wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 13:50
A pu that unreliable and running detuned can't be deemed better than the competition.merc has oil issues. Mguh issues. Electrical problems .there problems don't stem from one area if testing is anything to go by.the rapid development rate (the amount of horsepower a team find per unit time ) of Honda or suspicious Ferrari spooked them ,they had to push the extra miles to Find horses and that comes with consequences.they have two weeks to find solutions, realistically they need half a season.
I would rather believe Andy Green who had official, 1st hand information.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.crash ... ity%3famp

Bill

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hami ... e/4700181/

Lewis is singing a different tune.he also an insider.

GPR-A

Bill wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 14:29

Just like, "My tyres are gone Bonno".
Asked if the engine troubles were a worry, Hamilton said: "Is it a concern? Yeah. For sure.

"Normally in the pre-season we have much more confidence in the reliability so it has not been perfect. We are on our second or third engine.

"So it is definitely not an easy or relaxed scenario for us. But I have every confidence in the guys back at the factory that they can do the best job they can in the next two weeks to make sure we start on the right foot."

Bill

Anyone with experience in F1 knows from past that any team which completely overhauls their pu and bring a new one will have reliability issues to contend with.it happened to other manufacturers it will happen to Mercedes. We already saw that in testing these is not Lewis being his usual crybaby.

Restomaniac

Vasconia wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 12:36
Restomaniac wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 13:20
Vasconia wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 13:00

I can hardly belive that Ferrari´s current PU is weaker than last year. They have had time to find some progress like other teams have done.
Well that all depends. If as some assume Ferrari were up to something which a 2nd fuel flow sensor has stopped then we could easily be in a situation where they have gone backwards between pre testing 19 to to testing 20.

Also remember that Renault, Honda and Mercedes have been working on the PU’s without interruptions in the path they have chosen. If Ferrari suddenly had their improvement path cut off then they would suddenly have to start another which is far harder and would take time.
Good point. Anyway I expected Ferrari to make an extra point to bring an improved PU because this controversy began months ago and I am sure they realized that their idea was going to be "banned".
True but others will of already mapped out their ideas early last season if not before as the PUs are always evolving. Ferrari will of planned their evolvement around something that suddenly disappeared around the time of the US GP 2019. The key question is just how much of that planning then had to be thrown in the bin?

Giblet

Restomaniac wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 16:14
Vasconia wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 13:20

Well that all depends. If as some assume Ferrari were up to something which a 2nd fuel flow sensor has stopped then we could easily be in a situation where they have gone backwards between pre testing 19 to to testing 20.

Also remember that Renault, Honda and Mercedes have been working on the PU’s without interruptions in the path they have chosen. If Ferrari suddenly had their improvement path cut off then they would suddenly have to start another which is far harder and would take time.
Good point. Anyway I expected Ferrari to make an extra point to bring an improved PU because this controversy began months ago and I am sure they realized that their idea was going to be "banned".
True but others will of already mapped out their ideas early last season if not before as the PUs are always evolving. Ferrari will of planned their evolvement around something that suddenly disappeared around the time of the US GP 2019. The key question is just how much of that planning then had to be thrown in the bin?
"Will have", friend. "Will of" is nonsensical.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

the EDGE

Giblet wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 16:47
Restomaniac wrote:
Vasconia wrote:

Who let Sheldon Cooper play?

Pyrone89

Wouter wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 13:25
Pyrone89 wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 22:26
Mark my words, Mercedes PU and Suspension is nr. 1 when considering the whole (not just power but also drivability, able to last 7 races, fuel efficiency allowing to start lighter etc.). Only with regards to aerodynamics they have a challenger in Red Bull, but the aforementioned better PU and suspension will decide the title.

How do you know that Mercedes has the aforementioned better PU and suspension?
Do you know what RBR has this year? Source?
Look at videos of the handling. Look at the 2019 results in slow corners
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Wass85

GPR-A wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 14:48
Bill wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 14:29

Just like, "My tyres are gone Bonno".
Asked if the engine troubles were a worry, Hamilton said: "Is it a concern? Yeah. For sure.

"Normally in the pre-season we have much more confidence in the reliability so it has not been perfect. We are on our second or third engine.

"So it is definitely not an easy or relaxed scenario for us. But I have every confidence in the guys back at the factory that they can do the best job they can in the next two weeks to make sure we start on the right foot."
Except when he does say that it sometimes means his tyres are gone, you think they purposely broke down in testing?

Restomaniac

Giblet wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 16:47
Restomaniac wrote:
Vasconia wrote:

I think you’re lost. The grammar police convention was last Monday.

Wouter

Pyrone89 wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 23:01
Wouter wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 13:25
Pyrone89 wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 22:26
Mark my words, Mercedes PU and Suspension is nr. 1 when considering the whole (not just power but also drivability, able to last 7 races, fuel efficiency allowing to start lighter etc.). Only with regards to aerodynamics they have a challenger in Red Bull, but the aforementioned better PU and suspension will decide the title.

How do you know that Mercedes has the aforementioned better PU and suspension?
Do you know what RBR has this year? Source?
Look at videos of the handling. Look at the 2019 results in slow corners
Oh, I didn't know that they drove the RB16 in 2019! #-o :lol:
The Power of Dreams!

etusch

We, the undersigned teams, were surprised and shocked by the FIA’s statement of Friday 28 February regarding the conclusion of its investigation into the Scuderia Ferrari Formula 1 Power Unit.
An international sporting regulator has the responsibility to act with the highest standards of governance, integrity and transparency.

After months of investigations that were undertaken by the FIA only following queries raised by other teams, we strongly object to the FIA reaching a confidential settlement agreement with Ferrari to conclude this matter.

Therefore, we hereby state publicly our shared commitment to pursue full and proper disclosure in this matter, to ensure that our sport treats all competitors fairly and equally. We do so on behalf of the fans, the participants and the stakeholders of Formula One.

In addition, we reserve our rights to seek legal redress, within the FIA’s due process and before the competent courts.

McLaren Racing Limited
Mercedes-Benz Grand Prix Limited
Racing Point UK Limited
Red Bull Racing Limited
Renault Sport Racing Limited
Scuderia AlphaTauri S.p.A.
Williams Grand Prix Engineering Limited

https://www.scuderiaalphatauri.com/en/t ... QjvhdPCrvc

turbof1

We are splitting off the controversy topic into a separate thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28896

Please only debate about it in that topic. The goal is to centralize the discussion.
#AeroFrodo