Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.

PowerandtheGlory

Re: Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

Sounds angry.... but why the 'alien autopsy' filter on the video.. :lol:
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

JordanMugen

aleks_ader wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 00:14
Plus in rules there is prescribed minimum CofG number from reference plane.

Code: Select all

5.4.2 The centre of gravity of the power unit may not lie less than 200mm above the reference
plane.
Minimum CoG is exclusive of coolers and intake IIRC.

ScrewCaptain27

First look at the 2020 engine:
motorsport.com
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Nano4k

not much talk here.

is it true that they used only one engine in first week?

PlatinumZealot

Renault quietly going about their business, yes.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌
🟤🟤 Coco puffs are my favourite too! 🟤🟤

Jambier

Renault was indeed very reliable.
Because they mainly worked on this this winter, on the only evolution will again only be on reliability.

Of course, it also means that they can use a bit more power.
But not much activity, they are working 100% on 2021

PowerandtheGlory

Jambier wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 17:34
Because they mainly worked on this this winter, on the only evolution will again only be on reliability.

Based on how the teams were power wise last year, Renault can maybe afford to slightly ease up on engine and focus on chassis and DF. That being said - being able to operate at the higher modes for longer is the key and still keep reliability. They have the power but usually they have to turn down the engine too many times.

Lastly- most efficiency/reliability/optimising improvement will naturally release Power, not a lot, but it will. So even small incremental increases will happen during the year. Renault had to focus on its weaknesses, which were reliability and chassis/aero. Power was good as per Canada and Italy, so this was less important.

Fingers crossed
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

Jambier

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 17:48
Jambier wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 17:34

Based on how the teams were power wise last year, Renault can maybe afford to slightly ease up on engine and focus on chassis and DF. That being said - being able to operate at the higher modes for longer is the key and still keep reliability. They have the power but usually they have to turn down the engine too many times.

Lastly- most efficiency/reliability/optimising improvement will naturally release Power, not a lot, but it will. So even small incremental increases will happen during the year. Renault had to focus on its weaknesses, which were reliability and chassis/aero. Power was good as per Canada and Italy, so this was less important.

Fingers crossed
I agree.
There is a lot of bashing, people wants to see thing from their perspective, but the Renault engine if reliable and run at high mode is a performant one.
I mean, it is very decent and not so far from the best.

Then there is of course always the issue of budget and capacity, so I understand when RB think they are better off with Honda. They put more money and people

JordanMugen

Jambier wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 18:45
the Renault engine if reliable and run at high mode is a performant one.
It's certainly a solid unit. So why the heck did McLaren not continue the Renault deal? :(

daniellammers

JordanMugen wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 22:50
Jambier wrote:
It's certainly a solid unit. So why the heck did McLaren not continue the Renault deal? :(
Because the Mercedes PU is still a better unit? Or am I missing something here?
You won't catch me driving a race car that I have built.

- Colin Chapman

GhostF1

JordanMugen wrote:
Jambier wrote:
Because reliability is still largely unproven and power output is no better than any of the other three manufacturers?

Their reliability is what cost McLaren a lot of good points last year (and I'm sure Lando won't ever forget Spa). And yes it could make good power in 2019 (although so did everyone else) but they had to reduce its output at most races. Cyril made huge noise about their Monza result reflecting Viry's work and he constantly refers back to it.. but ignores a lot of the negatives. Their own drivers have even made comments about claimed upgrades bringing performance actually being either imperceptible or brought with it a reliability risk (Spec B and Spec C anyone?)
So again, how good is an engine that needs restricting to survive? 1000hp means nothing if it either; a) can only be produced in an engine lab with ideal conditions or b) detonates if run that hard on track, they made a huge deal of that announcement, only to later in the year concede they haven't been able to replicate that output reliably at every track or consistently.

Every manufacturer has made strides, although it's pretty obvious Renault still need to sort reliability out (as they were the worst in 2019 still) and look, if testing is anything to go by, it's looking good for this year.

Jambier

McLaren think that Mercedes is here for the long run.

Renault is unsure

Mercedes is very reliable and this year is the most powerful engine

So the move makes perfect senses, does not mean that the Renault pu is crap

PowerandtheGlory

I think with Zak Brown in charge of Mclaren- he is a 'Brand' guy and has built an impressive empire privately before joining MClaren. He knows that in current racing terms "Mercedes" carries a better brand than Renault - in the sense that they have powered the last 5-6 best cars - won the constructors and its an International well-known car maker.

If your job is to attract sponsors to Mclaren - it makes sense to have the best brand.. and he's doing a pretty good job at it. I think he's in it for the long term with Mclaren- Zak is himself a handy racer and this is more than just a job for him.

Also - if they have Merc engines - they will in theory be in direct comparison to Mercedes themselves and Now Aston martin from next year.. (he knew that Stroll was trying to buy a brand for RP ((he tried to buy Lola but failed))

Pretty dull if you ask me- that they will all be powered by the same engine.. but these days people seem less interested in the mechanics of cars and more about the drivers and what they look like... (drive to survive)

So Zak brown sees the future of Mclaren as racing vs Mercedes, Ferrari, Aston Redbull etc... that is where he sees the Mclaren Brand sitting.. that will help the whole "win on Sunday- sell on Monday" adage'

Plus there is the thought that Merc are a safer bet to stay in the sport - the HPP centre is based in the UK instead of Viry in France. There flow of information would be a bonus... and the last time Mclaren won was with Merc.. its like an old relationship you never forget..

I hope that Campos enter f1 or somebody buys up the redundant HAAS team this year and ask for a Renault supply of engines next year perhaps.. but time will tell..

toraabe

JordanMugen wrote:
Jambier wrote:

Price and much easier installation