COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
AJI
AJI

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

wickedz50 wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 09:15
Why is FIA not coming up with clarity on the upcoming races where there is serious travel ban from Airlines and Local Govt authorities? so much of confusion and yet no one is bothered.
Because the FIA can't know what a government will do in a situation such as this. F1 is infantisimal in the scale of world sporting events

Zynerji

Chene_Mostert wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 07:45
Zynerji wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 01:30
Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 21:27

I don't need a poll to tell me my opinion on the matter. Others might like it but I wouldn't be watching.

It sounds like a US-friendly sort of thing, to me.
JaF, I'd invite you to watch some of the big sim races on YouTube. Simdianapolis 500 was a very very well done race way back in 2009. I'd say with professional camera directing and professional commentators it would be very watchable.

Edit: seems the Simdy500 was never put on YouTube... I was watching it live, so never thought to look for it.

Lots of other examples out there however.

People take this very seriously... https://www.ebay.com/itm/303143891873
The Soya version of racing... Sorry if upsetting the geeks but sim is just that. Its just not the real thing.
Agreed, but in the quarantined absence of the real thing, it's far better than nothing.

nzjrs

Zynerji wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 10:19
Agreed, but in the quarantined absence of the real thing, it's far better than nothing.
I think your suggestion of drivers trash talking other drivers via their headsets while playing a video game is worse than nothing.

Rodak
Rodak

Yep. They ain't never done it......

izzy
izzy

Zynerji wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 01:27
izzy wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 00:09
Ross is saying there won't be any championship races unless all the teams can get there, but there could be non-championship races with less than all ten

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/team ... n/4713845/
I'd find it very difficult to justify the expenditure if running a race weekend with no constructors points to win. I mean, isn't it 100k$ just for 1 set of brake discs? Unless they offered just a cash prize for those races alone....
If someone holds a race, they'll race. The costs are the same aren't they and so is the exposure and sponsorship and in the end the prize money

Nobody will dare lose the experience, and it's really the only solution

Wouter

Tracking coronavirus: Map, data and timeline.
Page is updated every 5 minutes.

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/02/t ... rus-cases/
The Power of Dreams!

JonoNic

Probably a silly question. How will podium and the winning team celebrations be done near parc fermé this year? That's normally when at least three teams huddle in close proximity. Such a scene would seem inappropriate and possibly insensitive in the current situation. Of course not everyone will do it like Monza.
Always find the gap then use it.

AJI
AJI

JonoNic wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 12:26
Probably a silly question. How will podium and the winning team celebrations be done near parc fermé this year? That's normally when at least three teams huddle in close proximity. Such a scene would seem inappropriate and possibly insensitive in the current situation. Of course not everyone will do it like Monza.
What about the shoey!

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

Sim racing is boring and it doesn't matter how serious the players take it, it is still not worth the time it takes to watch it. I have tried with WRC and FE and it was just plain uninteresting. For me, the only time I watch people playing games is when the player is funny and the stream's chat is fun to be part of, the game is secondary.

I agree that if a non-championship event is held the teams who can take part, will. They won't be racing though, it'll be used as a test session and a place to take any penalties they may want to offset. I don't think this will happen though and I'm pretty sure that there will only be between 1 and 3 cancelled events.

marmer
marmer

After a quick not particularly in-depth research if Ferrari was strippes of results and not just points Hamilton would still be champion

If strippes from the constructors Williams will be very pleased

DChemTech
DChemTech

marmer wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 13:45
After a quick not particularly in-depth research if Ferrari was strippes of results and not just points Hamilton would still be champion

If strippes from the constructors Williams will be very pleased
That's great, but I suppose you meant to post this elsewhere ;)

Phil

adrianjordan wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 10:01
Lies, damned lies and statistics.

The figure of 0.1% for Influenza is 0.1% of the entire population. Though that fluctuates each year depending on a multitude of factors. Remember that figure is also despite immunisation programmes. The actual fatality rate for infected patients varies between 1 and 6% depending on strain etc.
adrianjordan wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 02:08
To add to that, the CFR for Influenza A varies wildy year on year and has ranged from as low as 0.1% to as high as 10% depending on the specific strain and which study you look at and whether the correct strain was chosen for vaccination programs that year.

Important points of note, there will be a lot of patients who have Flu A that never get formally diagnosed, because they will just self-care at home. Thanks to vaccination programmes, fewer people actually catch Flu than they would otherwise.
The fact that many people who have the flu and never get formally diagnosed decreases the CFR, not increases it. As for your numbers - first 1-6% and then in your last post 0.1%-10%... now which is it? In either case, there's nothing I can find from any reputable source that would give some weight to either of them, especially the former, unless you are looking at studies of very specific groups (i.e. certain age-groups, regions etc).

Given you work in the health sector, it would be great if you could give some insight to the numbers you are supplying. It's hard to have a constructive discussion without, given I don't want to completely disagree with them without knowing the proper context.

From all the numbers in regards to the flu that I've seen, the actual CFR is way closer to the 0.1% in developed countries, if not even lower considering many don't report it. I have posted numbers from our government that underline these numbers. That some fatalities might be attributed to COPD instead of the flu is true, just as is the fact that there are possibly way more people who were infected by the flu but didn't report it (and survived it). And if there is a fatality, there's always an investigation of cause-of-death.

adrianjordan wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 02:08
I'm not saying it's not a serious virus for some people, I'm saying the media is building mass hysteria and social media is fueling that fire. The vast, vast majority of people will not die from this virus and it will, before long, become just another virus that is out there along with Flu and Norovirus amongst others.
I agree that the media is building mass hysteria which certainly isn't good. However, how founded that hysteria, fear or whatever you want to call it is, is a matter of perspective. I.e. Are you among those that are especially endangered by it?

The fatality rate is higher than the flu so far (I suppose subject to debate if you wish & disagree); In Italy there are reported to be 79 fatalities with 2502 infected. This equals a CFR of 3.16%, a developed country/region within Europe.

Having that said, I'm not entirely sure what you are arguing here. Are you saying that the flu is just as bad and dangerous? Or do you agree that COVID-19 is [worse], but the hysteria is unfounded, and that we should just go on living and not be impacted by it? At what expense (to the economy) are governments issuing bans, taking precautionary measures and calling off large events... on, in your view, unfounded hysteria?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Zynerji

izzy wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 10:42
Zynerji wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 01:27
izzy wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 00:09
Ross is saying there won't be any championship races unless all the teams can get there, but there could be non-championship races with less than all ten

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/team ... n/4713845/
I'd find it very difficult to justify the expenditure if running a race weekend with no constructors points to win. I mean, isn't it 100k$ just for 1 set of brake discs? Unless they offered just a cash prize for those races alone....
If someone holds a race, they'll race. The costs are the same aren't they and so is the exposure and sponsorship and in the end the prize money

Nobody will dare lose the experience, and it's really the only solution
Awful and terrible idea. No body will spend millions and waste their time on a non points exhibition "race". It would turn into just a test session that no one would take seriously (race win, wise).

Why is that so difficult to understand?

nzjrs

Zynerji wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 15:46
nzjrs wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 10:26
Zynerji wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 10:19
I think your suggestion of drivers trash talking other drivers via their headsets while playing a video game is worse than nothing.
Why? Is it too confrontational of a video game for your delicate senses? Afraid that we might actually have some fun?
It is a weird time when people see it as confrontational to call another driver a chode 36 times from one's living room then to race him around Silverstone. To me that is just sad. But hey, different strokes for different folks.

Zynerji

nzjrs wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 17:32
Zynerji wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 15:46
nzjrs wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 10:26

Why? Is it too confrontational of a video game for your delicate senses? Afraid that we might actually have some fun?
It is a weird time when people see it as confrontational to call another driver a chode 36 times from one's living room then to race him around Silverstone. To me that is just sad. But hey, different strokes for different folks.
I'm specifically speaking about entertainment and exposure during a quarantine crisis.

I feel that you believe that I am advocating a full switch to a Sim based series, but is simply not the case.

And who knows? Maybe driver-driver communication would stop several incidents more than being trash talk.