COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
LM10

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Restomaniac wrote:
07 Mar 2020, 19:42
turbof1 wrote:
07 Mar 2020, 19:24
Is a contributing factor to Africa's low(er) relative infections due to the warm weather?
Im not so sure. I am personally worried about how few cases from Africa, India and South America are being discovered. I do hope there isn’t a hidden pandemic in poorer parts of the world that due to lack a good medical health (which is a disgrace to our species) that is going totally unnoticed.
Poor countries won’t be able to test even close to as much as rich countries. A test kit for that Coronavirus is enough for 50 individual tests and costs $1600.

Restomaniac

LM10 wrote:
07 Mar 2020, 22:21
Restomaniac wrote:
turbof1 wrote:
Is a contributing factor to Africa's low(er) relative infections due to the warm weather?
Im not so sure. I am personally worried about how few cases from Africa, India and South America are being discovered. I do hope there isn’t a hidden pandemic in poorer parts of the world that due to lack a good medical health (which is a disgrace to our species) that is going totally unnoticed.
Poor countries won’t be able to test even close to as much as rich countries. A test kit for that Coronavirus is enough for 50 individual tests and costs $1600.
Which is where my concerns come from. Added to the fact that plenty of smaller towns and villages are almost cut off from the outside world without modern connectivity it’s very easy to see how a mass outbreak would be almost untraceable with our modern world being none the wiser.

Restomaniac

It’s looking like more parts of Northern Italy are going into full lockdown.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... y-corriere

siskue2005

LM10 wrote:
07 Mar 2020, 22:21
Restomaniac wrote:
turbof1 wrote:
I m interested to know where u got that value from?? Any source of that??

Pyrone89

Restomaniac wrote:
07 Mar 2020, 22:34

Thatis the whole of northern Italy, including the province where Ferrari is
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Restomaniac

Pyrone89 wrote:
08 Mar 2020, 00:30
Restomaniac wrote:

Yep it includes the province of Modena where Maranello is. Unfortunately if the team haven’t already left by tonight they won’t be and if they have they won’t be going back.

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but we may have just lost the Australian GP.

zibby43

Restomaniac wrote:
08 Mar 2020, 00:36
Pyrone89 wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:

Yep it includes the province of Modena where Maranello is. Unfortunately if the team haven’t already left by tonight they won’t be and if they have they won’t be going back.

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but we may have just lost the Australian GP.

strad

fact that plenty of smaller towns and villages are almost cut off from the outside world without modern connectivity
Isn't that also why they would see less or no exposure?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

JonoNic

strad wrote:
fact that plenty of smaller towns and villages are almost cut off from the outside world without modern connectivity
Isn't that also why they would see less or no exposure?
All it takes is one case in the area. Due to hardships, communities work together when one is ill. A neighbour will take full responsibility to feed, bathe and medicate the sick. That's a sure fire way to spread the disease.
Always find the gap then use it.

Manoah2u

zibby43 wrote:
08 Mar 2020, 00:50
Restomaniac wrote:
Pyrone89 wrote:

https://twitter.com/SportmphMark/status ... 09346?s=20
Worst case scenario, i wouldn't be surprised if Ferrari 'hires' a bunch of personnel from Haas and Alfa Romeo to fill in any gaps they might be missing. The cars, parts, and equipment most certainly have been shipped out before, so i don't think there will be any problems in the end.

that said, that does NOT mean there isn't still much more to come with the Corona Virus out.

A good bunch of people packed together in grandstands, all sweaty and running after the race for the ceremony and interviews, that's a gigantic infection spreading hazard.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

f1jcw

Restomaniac wrote:
Pyrone89 wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:

Due to one team?
In the past when one team couldn't make a race, it was not cancelled.

Nathanael F1

f1jcw wrote:
08 Mar 2020, 03:18
Restomaniac wrote:
Pyrone89 wrote:

Due to one team?
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14853 ... oronavirus
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg

gshevlin

Frankly, Ferrari personnel who leave Italy and then cannot return may actually be at less risk, if they end up staying in a country where the Coronavirus is less advanced in population penetration.

Rodak

I doubt if they are at risk at all, as they are mostly young and fit. The problem is that they might be infected, show mild symptoms, or none, and infect others later. Seems like it's old people who are most vulnerable.

Restomaniac

f1jcw wrote:
08 Mar 2020, 03:18
Restomaniac wrote:
Pyrone89 wrote:

Due to one team?
Yes this has already been mentioned and covered by Liberty.